Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Texture, Model & Animation Help Model Editor Problem
ZodiaC Offline

Threads: 8
Model Editor Problem

So I exported a model with 3Ds max 2012(Open Collada installed) without animation (Format .DAE) but when I try to import it in HPL Model Editor it loads it and shows nothing...What do I do wrong?

[Image: 2H1Mc.jpg]
10-22-2012, 03:35 PM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79
RE: Model Editor Problem

Can you see the wire mesh if you try selecting around?

I know in Blender you have to assign the material through a property editor or it wont show, I have no idea about 3Ds max though, might be a similar issue.
10-22-2012, 04:08 PM
Find
ZodiaC Offline

(10-22-2012, 04:08 PM)Rapture Wrote: Can you see the wire mesh if you try selecting around?

I know in Blender you have to assign the material through a property editor or it wont show, I have no idea about 3Ds max though, might be a similar issue.
Hmm...Yes it is also very big!

10-22-2012, 04:18 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

In 3ds Max, apply a material to the object that has the correct diffuse texture in it before you export. Make sure that texture is in the same folder as your max file, the soon-to-be-exported .dae file and the .mat file that you create with the material editor. Collada does weird things if it can't find a texture on the exported object. Smile
10-23-2012, 11:35 AM
Find
ZodiaC Offline

(10-23-2012, 11:35 AM)Hirnwirbel Wrote: In 3ds Max, apply a material to the object that has the correct diffuse texture in it before you export. Make sure that texture is in the same folder as your max file, the soon-to-be-exported .dae file and the .mat file that you create with the material editor. Collada does weird things if it can't find a texture on the exported object. Smile
So i exported the DAE file, put it in a folder with all the textures(mat,DDS,msh) and it still doesn't load the textures, i tried to load the mat file with material editor but it didn't show me the texture at all so i tried to add defuse but when i opened the folder it was empty..I created some JPG files from the DDS and it started to show all files(DDS too).I tried to load them and add defuse but again it wasn't showing eny textures...Any ideas?

10-23-2012, 03:08 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Okay, so first problem is that the material editor cannot find your texture files and when it finds them it doesn't show them? Now that's a problem I've never heard of. Maybe it was because you tried to open the .mat file instead of creating a new one? But then how did you create it in the first place? I suggest you delete your .mat (Did 3ds Max create that maybe? It can do that sometimes when exporting something, but those .mat files won't be compatible with the material editor!) and just start a new one from scratch.

If it still doesn't work it might be that your .dds files are simply broken. Just create new ones from your .psd files or whatever you used to create the textures. Make sure you follow this guide when doing that.

Last but not least - your texture sizes are all a power of 2, right? (256, 512, 1024, 2048...) Stupid question, I know, but sometimes the error lies in the silliest little things, so maybe you want to double-check that Wink
(This post was last modified: 10-23-2012, 03:32 PM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
10-23-2012, 03:30 PM
Find
ZodiaC Offline

(10-23-2012, 03:30 PM)Hirnwirbel Wrote: Okay, so first problem is that the material editor cannot find your texture files and when it finds them it doesn't show them? Now that's a problem I've never heard of. Maybe it was because you tried to open the .mat file instead of creating a new one? But then how did you create it in the first place? I suggest you delete your .mat (Did 3ds Max create that maybe? It can do that sometimes when exporting something, but those .mat files won't be compatible with the material editor!) and just start a new one from scratch.

If it still doesn't work it might be that your .dds files are simply broken. Just create new ones from your .psd files or whatever you used to create the textures. Make sure you follow this guide when doing that.

Last but not least - your texture sizes are all a power of 2, right? (256, 512, 1024, 2048...) Stupid question, I know, but sometimes the error lies in the silliest little things, so maybe you want to double-check that Wink
So i finally somehow(Resaving with material editor the mat file) made the textures visible in the model editor but in the Level Editor it continues to be invisible! Angry
I tried even with a different model from 3Ds Max(Teapot) and used a gradient for texture, but the level editor continues to refuse the texture!
Actually your last question is not that stupid..I created the model long time ago just for fun and now i thought that i could import it to Amnesia(I'm not that sure anymore Undecided ).Anyway the DDS's size is 2000x2176..

(This post was last modified: 10-23-2012, 08:39 PM by ZodiaC.)
10-23-2012, 05:11 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

(10-23-2012, 05:11 PM)belikov Wrote: So i finally somehow(Resaving with material editor the mat file) made the textures visible in the model editor but in the Level Editor it continues to be invisible! Angry
I tried even with a different model from 3Ds Max(Teapot) and used a gradient for texture, but the level editor continues to refuse the texture!

Follow step 8 http://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl2/amn...evenvguide and restart the level editor.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
10-23-2012, 07:51 PM
Website Find
ZodiaC Offline

(10-23-2012, 07:51 PM)Your Computer Wrote: Follow step 8 http://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl2/amn...evenvguide and restart the level editor.
Well that didn't fix it Sad unless I'm doing it wrong
By the way the textures are invisible in the game too.. Undecided

(This post was last modified: 10-23-2012, 08:54 PM by ZodiaC.)
10-23-2012, 08:44 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Quote: Anyway the DDS's size is 2000x2176..
Well then, resize it to either 2048x2048 (probably way too big performance-wise...but then I don't know how big your model is.) or 1024x1024, 512x512... There are very few game engines that can handle texture sizes that are not a power of two. Not even the "big" engines like Unreal appreciate those "rogue" texture sizes, so I doubt hpl can cope with them. (I could be wrong though - you never know with those crazy indie-engines! Wink )
10-24-2012, 02:05 AM
Find