Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Bioshock Infinite
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6
RE: MY BODY IS READY

(10-25-2012, 08:37 PM)Statyk Wrote: I honestly couldn't get into Bioshock: Infinite. I'm used to the underwater environment, you know? ;__;
I know what you mean, but you just have to accept it at face value - someone pointed out earlier in the thread that there's a reason it wasn't called Bioshock 3. It's a big step for the devs to take by moving out of their signature setting and creepy atmosphere, and I'll definitely miss Rapture. Let's hope they can do this sky city some justice - I think it looks pretty awesome from CM's original post.

The only thing I think might be an issue is that a lot of the textures seem more compatible with the dark, dank halls of rapture, yet are put into a bright outdoors-y setting

Side note - how do they justify plasmids in the sky when their original use was to cope with the intense pressure in the depths of the ocean? I must have answers! :S

I rate it 3 memes.
10-25-2012, 11:25 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

Quote: Side note - how do they justify plasmids in the sky when their original use was to cope with the intense pressure in the depths of the ocean? I must have answers!
Oh so that was their purpose? Interesting, I didn't know that. Not sure if it makes a whole lot of sense either, since the air in Rapture surely didn't have the same pressure as the ocean surrounding it, considering the whole city was properly sealed off with thick glass and everything. I mean the pressure in a submarine is not that terribly high either, or is it?

Anyway, my guess is that in a City where morals are as loose as they are in Rapture or this new city (seems pretty dystopian too) and where money pretty much rules, any product that can give you an advantage over other people is automatically in high demand. So theres more than enough motivation for scientists to invent all sorts of weapons and plasmids and whatnot, because the wealthy people at the top are sure to pay for those.
(This post was last modified: 10-25-2012, 11:32 PM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
10-25-2012, 11:32 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

I think the reason they left Rapture was because if they continued they would probably be continually milking its story. Rapture is already a dead city with nothing much more to tell by the end of Bioshock 1. The story they squeezed out with Bioshock 2 was very forced, and it was lucky it worked. I don't see how they could make more Rapture unless it was a prequel, or something like that.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
10-26-2012, 03:02 AM
Find
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

(10-25-2012, 11:32 PM)Hirnwirbel Wrote: Oh so that was their purpose? Interesting, I didn't know that. Not sure if it makes a whole lot of sense either, since the air in Rapture surely didn't have the same pressure as the ocean surrounding it, considering the whole city was properly sealed off with thick glass and everything. I mean the pressure in a submarine is not that terribly high either, or is it?
You mentioned the city being sealed, thus preventing any effects of the depth of the city, but very early in the game the plane from the intro breaks through a tunnel in the city. If the plasmid didn't affect the player like I mentioned, wouldn't he just spontaneously implode as soon as that happened?

The only thing aside from that I can actually remember from the first game is that atlas saying it is "re-writing your genetic code". Looks like I'll have to go back and play the whole game again for reference Big Grin

I rate it 3 memes.
10-26-2012, 03:25 AM
Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8

Quote: You mentioned the city being sealed, thus preventing any effects of the
depth of the city, but very early in the game the plane from the intro
breaks through a tunnel in the city. If the plasmid didn't affect the
player like I mentioned, wouldn't he just spontaneously implode as soon
as that happened?
Now that I think about it, that crash should have instantly taken the whole corridor with it. The bottom of the ocean is INSANELY pressurized. It's a wonder anything can survive down there.

Leads me to wonder how they actually built Rapture in the first place.

Quote: Side note - how do they justify plasmids in the sky when their original
use was to cope with the intense pressure in the depths of the ocean? I
must have answers!
Story spoiler, to be safe:
Spoiler below!

I'm pretty sure that adam was used for both medical and cosmetic purposes, then Fontaine came in and started his war with Ryan, with plasmids introduced by Fontaine Futuristics to assist with his war.(Also to make money)

Don't ask me how I remember that(Last played 2 years ago), but can't remember what I had for breakfast this morning.

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
10-26-2012, 04:18 AM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Quote: You mentioned the city being sealed, thus preventing any effects of the depth of the city, but very early in the game the plane from the intro breaks through a tunnel in the city. If the plasmid didn't affect the player like I mentioned, wouldn't he just spontaneously implode as soon as that happened?
Well the game isn't exactly very realistic in the first place so... Wink But thinking of it... I don't think humans would implode in the deep sea. It seems counter-intuitive at first, but think about it: Apart from the air in our lungs (which is compressible), our cells are all filled with non-compressible fluids (mostly water). Therefore, since the pressure is coming evenly from all sides, why should the human body implode? Sure, the pressure might have all sorts of nasty side-effects on our metabolism, but I'm pretty certain that our body would at least stay in the shape it is.
Just imagine a balloon filled with water. No matter how deep underwater you put it, it will always look the same. A balloon filled with air on the other hand will shrink.
(This post was last modified: 10-26-2012, 11:14 AM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
10-26-2012, 11:11 AM
Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8

Quote:Therefore, since the pressure is coming evenly from all sides,
Except it isn't. There would be less pressure on your ribcage then, say, your abdomen or neck.

The pressure down that deep would be enough to crush a puny human, not to mention a compromised appendix. That's why there are vault doors at the start and end of corridors. The only thing they got wrong in the game is that it would have happened a LOT faster. You wouldn't have been able to escape.

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
10-26-2012, 03:27 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Quote: Except it isn't. There would be less pressure on your ribcage then, say, your abdomen or neck.
...why? Pressure distributes evenly in liquids. Its not the same as being crushed under rocks. (Thats why fragile animals like jellyfish are able to live down there.) The only difference in pressure when you're standing upright and completely submerged in the water would be the height of your own body, which is small enough to be negligible.
Also, like I said, the only thing that would get compressed is the air in your lungs. And only if you held your breath after breathing in air that has a lower pressure than the water.
(That's why breathing pressurized air underwater works - the air has the same pressure as the water surrounding it, thus the pressure inside your lungs and the pressure coming from outside is the same and you can breathe normally. Using a really long snorkel on the other hand would be impossible, because the water pressure would prevent you from breathing in.)

What would kill you of course is the force of the wave crashing through the tunnel after something damages it. But thats a different problem Wink
10-26-2012, 05:01 PM
Find
CorinthianMerchant Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 84

Is that a new gun at 1:12? (Right after the handyman)

Still hasn't gotten over the loss of wubwub...
10-26-2012, 08:09 PM
Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 38

(10-26-2012, 08:09 PM)CorinthianMerchant Wrote: Is that a new gun at 1:12? (Right after the handyman)
Could be. I looked in the gameplay trailer some time ago, but never saw that gun before.

Although, I could be mistaken there now.

Infrequently active. Don't expect an immediate response. Best to contact me at a different locale. If I create a thread, expect me to be quite active.
10-26-2012, 08:10 PM
Website Find