Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Human Brain's reaction to Scary Stuff
Melvin Offline

Threads: 38
Human Brain's reaction to Scary Stuff

Hey guys, I've been thinking about this awhile..

When does our brain tell us: ''dude, this shit is scary get the hell outta there.''
Why are some people more afraid of things then others?

I , for instance get very paranoid after being in the dark for a while. (what's name for that by the way?)

While someone else can sit in the dark for hours.

Anyone?

[Image: 25F7U37.png]
(This post was last modified: 10-25-2012, 03:02 AM by Melvin.)
10-25-2012, 02:54 AM
Website Find
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6
RE: Human Brain's reaction to Scary Stuff

Fear is one of the driving forces that led to our very existence today. It is a primal urge that tells us to run or confront ("fight or flight" reaction). It gives us an adrenaline rush necessary to do one of the aforementioned actions, and when we know we are safe from it (i.e. while playing scary games or watching scary movies) that chemical burst becomes a sort of "high".

True fear is the same from person to person, it is only irrational fears that vary. A huge irrational fear of mine is spiders - I know I could easily curve stomp that mofo into oblivion then walk away like nothing happened, but for some reason I just go into the fetal position and whimper.

You brought up the dark - such a fear (or paranoia as you described) is a learned behavior. In scary movies/games, nothing legitimately scary ever happens during the day, but only during the night. We humans with our ever wandering imaginations make the connection between the fictional events and reality, leading to yet another irrational fear.

I rate it 3 memes.
10-25-2012, 03:12 AM
Find
Melvin Offline

Threads: 38

Thanks! I appreciate your awesome reply, it almost answered all I wanted to know!

Feel free to discuss this topic, I'm still very interested in this so please do!

[Image: 25F7U37.png]
10-25-2012, 03:29 AM
Website Find
Potato Offline

Threads: 10

I still can't over get the fear of broken bones or breaking my bones. It's been a fear I've had for a while, but I think it was re-triggered in a way earlier this week during a slide show on bone fractures in Health. I had to go to the nurses' office, I was feeling so lightheaded, it's just, it drives me crazy and makes me want to drill my ears or scratch out my eyes whenever I encounter something like that. Another of my fears is I can't stand needles. Despite knowing it hurts less than most of the pricks I tend to though through almost everyday, the thought of a small metallic needle breaching my skin is a big no-no to me.

[Image: o8JPTkt.jpg]
upsilon floorbot is a qt pa2t
10-25-2012, 04:40 AM
Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

I'm terrified of lawn ornaments.
Shit be real.
10-25-2012, 05:27 AM
Find
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 176

(10-25-2012, 05:27 AM)failedALIAS Wrote: I'm terrified of lawn ornaments.
Shit be real.
You terrified of me?

[Image: p229xcq]
10-25-2012, 05:29 AM
Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

(10-25-2012, 05:29 AM)Chronofox Wrote:
(10-25-2012, 05:27 AM)failedALIAS Wrote: I'm terrified of lawn ornaments.
Shit be real.
You terrified of me?
Are you a Lawn Ornament?
10-25-2012, 06:16 AM
Find
Juby Away

Threads: 2

(10-25-2012, 02:54 AM)SmokeMelvin Wrote: I , for instance get very paranoid after being in the dark for a while. (what's name for that by the way?)
Achluophobia.

Insanity. Static.
(This post was last modified: 07-28-2013, 12:38 PM by Juby.)
10-25-2012, 11:49 AM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

Quote: Despite knowing it hurts less than most of the pricks I tend to though through almost everyday, the thought of a small metallic needle breaching my skin is a big no-no to me.
I feel ya man Sad I was in hospital once for a week or so and they put one of those catheter thingies into my arm. Those things aren't even needles, they're made of soft plastic, I know, but I still couldn't shake the fear that as soon as I moved my arm, it would stab right through my flesh >.< So I spent the whole week holding my arm perfectly stiff, making sure to not even move a single finger. Horrible cramps in my arm were the result and I couldn't sleep either. -.-
Quote: You brought up the dark - such a fear (or paranoia as you described) is a learned behavior. In scary movies/games, nothing legitimately scary ever happens during the day, but only during the night. We humans with our ever wandering imaginations make the connection between the fictional events and reality, leading to yet another irrational fear.
I think another reason is simply that the darkness deprives us of our primary sense - sight. Humans are not very good at hearing or smelling, so without our most important sense for sensing danger, we're much more vulnerable and thus more on edge than we would be in the light.

I find it interesting how instictive behaviour can be seen in people playing scary games. For example, many people will often try to have a wall in their back and will rather move along the walls than through the middle of a room. Thats the same behaviour you can observe in a lot of animals (especially small and vulnerable ones like mice).
(This post was last modified: 10-25-2012, 11:53 AM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
10-25-2012, 11:52 AM
Find
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

(10-25-2012, 11:52 AM)Hirnwirbel Wrote: I find it interesting how instictive behaviour can be seen in people playing scary games. For example, many people will often try to have a wall in their back and will rather move along the walls than through the middle of a room. Thats the same behaviour you can observe in a lot of animals (especially small and vulnerable ones like mice).
Excellent point - common sense even some animals pick up on Big Grin

If one's back is to the wall, no one can get the jump on you from behind; it's also the only direction we cannot see at all (I think we have about an 200-ish degree FOV). It almost seems nonsensical to do it any other way.

I almost envy animals in some ways - such a simplistic life. Kill your meal, eat, mate, sleep, repeat. I doubt there is a better example of "Ignorance is bliss"; knowing the darkness brought about with death is a chilling thought to say the least, and lesser animals aren't even aware of it. No irrational fears of boogie-men under the bed, or Kman hiding in your closet at night.

I rate it 3 memes.
(This post was last modified: 10-25-2012, 12:06 PM by Adny.)
10-25-2012, 12:05 PM
Find