Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Penumbra Black Plague causing blue screen
Contrarium Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago Penumbra Black Plague causing blue screen

I bought the Penumbra series on Steam a while ago, and finished Overture just fine, but when I try to play Black Plague it crashes. This always happens when I'm on one of the loading screens, sometimes just the game crashes and other times it causes my entire computer to blue screen. I went on Steam and looked and it said that it had no disk usage, where as the other games do take up space so I think that's part of the problem. I tried uninstalling it and reinstalling, and it said it was installing but nothing happened and it didn't show up like it was installing. I tried verifying the integrity of the game cache, but that didn't fix anything. The thing is I could at first play it even though it crashed time to time, but after my computer blue screened I can't even start it up. I can play the other two Penumbra games just fine so it's not my graphics card that is the problem.

Any help would be appreciated... I figure I could always buy another copy since it's just 5$ right now and I think I can buy it without using Steam so that might solve the problem... but I really would rather not buy the same thing twice if I don't have to.
10-28-2012, 12:33 AM
Find
TheBlastPassage Offline

Threads: 18
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago RE: Penumbra Black Plague causing blue screen

It it while leaving the chemical labs?

(This post was last modified: 10-28-2012, 12:40 AM by TheBlastPassage.)
10-28-2012, 12:39 AM
Website Find
Contrarium Offline

Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago RE: Penumbra Black Plague causing blue screen

Quote:It it while leaving the chemical labs?
No, I don't think I'm that far yet. It's when I'm trying to load my save files. I can't even get the game working anymore...
10-28-2012, 12:42 AM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45

Driver issue most probably. After the blue screen occurs, I need you to go to C:\Windows\Minidump (often hidden folder) and attach here the latest file created there.
10-28-2012, 11:10 AM
Find
Contrarium Offline

(10-28-2012, 11:10 AM)plutomaniac Wrote: Driver issue most probably. After the blue screen occurs, I need you to go to C:\Windows\Minidump (often hidden folder) and attach here the latest file created there.
It doen't blue screen anymore, now it just crashes the game when I try to start it up. I found one dmp file, but when I try attaching it here it says "The type of file that you attached is not allowed. Please remove the attachment or choose a different type."
10-28-2012, 01:56 PM
Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 38

(10-28-2012, 01:56 PM)Contrarium Wrote: It doen't blue screen anymore, now it just crashes the game when I try to start it up. I found one dmp file, but when I try attaching it here it says "The type of file that you attached is not allowed. Please remove the attachment or choose a different type."
Place it into a winzip or winrar package, then attach that.

Infrequently active. Don't expect an immediate response. Best to contact me at a different locale. If I create a thread, expect me to be quite active.
10-28-2012, 02:53 PM
Website Find
Contrarium Offline

Here we go.

Attached Files
.zip   penumbra.zip (Size: 22.51 KB / Downloads: 143)
10-28-2012, 05:33 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45

after crash occurs attach HPL.log file found under Documents\Penumbra folder or similar (depends on which game you are trying to run).
10-28-2012, 06:56 PM
Find
Contrarium Offline

(10-28-2012, 06:56 PM)plutomaniac Wrote: after crash occurs attach HPL.log file found under Documents\Penumbra folder or similar (depends on which game you are trying to run).
Is this it?

Attached Files
.log   hpl.log (Size: 4 KB / Downloads: 126)
10-28-2012, 11:18 PM
Find
TheBlastPassage Offline

Threads: 18

Hmmm. It looks like you're having some trouble loading textures. I'm not quite sure what's causing this because you said that you've re-installed and verified game cache.

Try opening the game directory and if possible, run the exe file as administrator. That's all I can really think of :S

10-29-2012, 12:11 AM
Website Find