Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: Do you believe in UFO's?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
37.50%
6 37.50%
No
62.50%
10 62.50%
Total 16 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

What do you guys think of UFO's?
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8
RE: What do you guys think of UFO's?

Quote: Why do the Religious defend their religions so heavily? It's a belief.
It may not be true, but it is our ideas, you know?
Not the best idea to compare this to the situation of Religion. It's more... complicated.

Quote: Everything starts with an idea, or else we would not have evolved, say, technologically.
That does not automatically give an idea merit, you have to process it more heavily that spray cheese to get anything of substance, if at all.

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
10-31-2012, 02:45 AM
Find
Macgyverthehero Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 23

(10-31-2012, 02:45 AM)Aldighieri Wrote:
Quote: Why do the Religious defend their religions so heavily? It's a belief.
It may not be true, but it is our ideas, you know?
Not the best idea to compare this to the situation of Religion. It's more... complicated.

Quote: Everything starts with an idea, or else we would not have evolved, say, technologically.
That does not automatically give an idea merit, you have to process it more heavily that spray cheese to get anything of substance, if at all.
Please guys don't get Religion into this, UFO's have nothing to do with it so I don't know why anyone would add Religion into the discussion of Extra Terrestrials and Alien Space Craft.

[Image: Keo88b.gif]
10-31-2012, 02:58 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

I don't see why not. Both of them are widely believed in, and both of them also have a large group of people that strongly don't believe in them. Neither of them have solid evidence supporting them, though they both have lots of history and theories surrounding them. There's not one solid view that everyone has on the subject in either cases (there are tons of different alien theories and hundreds of different religious beliefs that vary from person to person). In certain religions aliens even play part in their beliefs. Honestly, I think you can learn a lot by comparing them with each other.

Posting Freak
10-31-2012, 03:11 AM
Website Find
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

(10-31-2012, 03:11 AM)Kman Wrote: I don't see why not. Both of them are widely believed in, and both of them also have a large group of people that strongly don't believe in them. Neither of them have solid evidence supporting them, though they both have lots of history and theories surrounding them. There's not one solid view that everyone has on the subject in either cases (there are tons of different alien theories and hundreds of different religious beliefs that vary from person to person). In certain religions aliens even play part in their beliefs. Honestly, I think you can learn a lot by comparing them with each other.
Opinion (not for the religious):
Spoiler below!

I see aliens as far more plausible than any God - Statyk gave link to an article that shows the first steps of life taking place in our celestial back yard (Mars). Evolution can happen anywhere given the right circumstances, and there's a chance (albeit a small one) that there's intelligent life somewhere out there, but not anywhere near our little blue dot in the sky.

I rate it 3 memes.
10-31-2012, 03:21 AM
Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Quote: I don't see why not. Both of them are widely believed in, and both of them also have a large group of people that strongly don't believe in them. Neither of them have solid evidence supporting them, though they both have lots of history and theories surrounding them. There's not one solid view that everyone has on the subject in either cases (there are tons of different alien theories and hundreds of different religious beliefs that vary from person to person). In certain religions aliens even play part in their beliefs. Honestly, I think you can learn a lot by comparing them with each other.

Can any religion say that they have a page on the NASA website?

SCIENCE!

Now, basically, here's what you need for life: A moderately sized rock in the habitable zone of it's star system, a large atmosphere rich in a healthy mix of diatomic molecules, and water. You can isolate those planets and see if they have life. The problem being many of them are pretty darn far away(Measured in lightyears) So it will be a very long time before we can study them.

(This post was last modified: 10-31-2012, 03:50 AM by Ghieri.)
10-31-2012, 03:45 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

I know that aliens have much more evidence backing them than religion does and are much more likely to exist, but my point was that saying "this is a discussion about aliens, so we shouldn't even bring up religion!" is dumb and possibly cutting off what could be a pretty interesting discussion.

Posting Freak
10-31-2012, 04:03 AM
Website Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Quote: "this is a discussion about aliens, so we shouldn't even bring up religion!"
If you can bring an intellectually stimulating topic regarding both then I don't see why not.

I don't have to tell you about the dangers of Religious debate, though.

10-31-2012, 04:20 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

(10-31-2012, 04:20 AM)Aldighieri Wrote: If you can bring an intellectually stimulating topic regarding both then I don't see why not.

These forums need to learn to stay on topic anyway.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
10-31-2012, 04:27 AM
Website Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

Why are people taking what I said out of context? I merely said the thought of alien intervention is my BELIEF, much like RELIGION is a belief for others. THAT'S IT. I said nothing more. If people argue over it, that's not my fault.

I can see this coming out fine, so long as no one starts getting heated over "beliefs", or opinions. I have not, and I would appreciate it if no one else did either. I'd like to have an involved conversation for once without people getting pissed or having a thread locked.
(This post was last modified: 10-31-2012, 04:41 AM by Statyk.)
10-31-2012, 04:41 AM
Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

It's interesting to note the parallels between the concept of gods and the concept of aliens. Supreme beings from the sky who come down to either bless us with advanced knowledge or rain fire and destruction on our heads. Either that or always watching, silently. I suspect there's a similar psychological concept there. Perhaps hopeful thinking?

Back on topic, BAM!

(This post was last modified: 10-31-2012, 05:18 AM by Ghieri.)
10-31-2012, 05:17 AM
Find