Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Anybody know what horror games are coming in 2013?
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25
RE: Anybody know what horror games are coming in 2013?

(11-07-2012, 10:22 PM)Cranky Old Man Wrote: Erie has a good basic concept (of monster chases), but it needs much better mapping for it to work. Turning narrow corners only to bump into a jumpscare, isn't good gameplay, and neither is mapping so stale that the main tool is a spraycan to be able to tell areas apart. I'm sure that some real life areas can be just as stale, but the player will get bored of it.
Also Erie is like Slender: It has some written story, but it only features a single game mechanic: Running from a monster. That's as complex of a challenge as Minesweeper.
Good luck to the kickstarter, but I don't think the programmers are skilled enough to develop Erie into a good game.
Are you serious? May I remind you that Penumbra started out as basically the same thing. Saying that the programmers are not skilled enough to make it into a good game is really pessimistic. Personally I am impressed with what they have done so far, especially the way you read notes (which is far more immersive than anything FG have done so far). Anyway, I hope you realize that using the spray paint as a method of trailblazing is the point of the game. These are just the early stages, they will certainly come up with better maps before it is formally released, but the point is you wandering through hard to distinguish areas trying to survive. I actually think it is quite ingenious, and certainly a first in gaming.
11-07-2012, 11:02 PM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 20

(11-07-2012, 11:02 PM)Bridge Wrote:
(11-07-2012, 10:22 PM)Cranky Old Man Wrote: Erie has a good basic concept (of monster chases), but it needs much better mapping for it to work. Turning narrow corners only to bump into a jumpscare, isn't good gameplay, and neither is mapping so stale that the main tool is a spraycan to be able to tell areas apart. I'm sure that some real life areas can be just as stale, but the player will get bored of it.
Also Erie is like Slender: It has some written story, but it only features a single game mechanic: Running from a monster. That's as complex of a challenge as Minesweeper.
Good luck to the kickstarter, but I don't think the programmers are skilled enough to develop Erie into a good game.
Are you serious? May I remind you that Penumbra started out as basically the same thing. Saying that the programmers are not skilled enough to make it into a good game is really pessimistic. Personally I am impressed with what they have done so far, especially the way you read notes (which is far more immersive than anything FG have done so far). Anyway, I hope you realize that using the spray paint as a method of trailblazing is the point of the game. These are just the early stages, they will certainly come up with better maps before it is formally released, but the point is you wandering through hard to distinguish areas trying to survive. I actually think it is quite ingenious, and certainly a first in gaming.
Yes, I'm serious. I didn't play or watch Erie all the way through, but I didn't see any complicated physics or complicated mapping in it, like the Penumbra demo had. I also know that with the Unity engine out, an "FPS" of Slender/Erie/SPC quality, has become fairly easy to make, while Frictional Games had to create their own engine. We'll see if my lack of faith is proven wrong or not.

Noob scripting tutorial: From Noob to Pro

11-07-2012, 11:18 PM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

Threads: 83

(11-07-2012, 11:02 PM)Bridge Wrote: Are you serious? May I remind you that Penumbra started out as basically the same thing. Saying that the programmers are not skilled enough to make it into a good game is really pessimistic. Personally I am impressed with what they have done so far, especially the way you read notes (which is far more immersive than anything FG have done so far). Anyway, I hope you realize that using the spray paint as a method of trailblazing is the point of the game. These are just the early stages, they will certainly come up with better maps before it is formally released, but the point is you wandering through hard to distinguish areas trying to survive. I actually think it is quite ingenious, and certainly a first in gaming.
Seeing that I am currently unable to play the game, it's good to hear some reviews on it. I'm glad to hear it has stuff that even FG doesn't have. I loved the idea of the spray can, I've had plenty of moments in Amnesia alone where I wasn't sure if I'd already checked a room before or not. Having something to indicate where I've been would be great.

How do the notes compare to FG? Overall, how does the game of Erie compare to the Penumbra Series or Amnesia 1?
11-07-2012, 11:33 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

Cranky Old Man Wrote:Yes, I'm serious. I didn't play or watch Erie all the way through, but I didn't see any complicated physics or complicated mapping in it, like the Penumbra demo had. I also know that with the Unity engine out, an "FPS" of Slender/Erie/SPC quality, has become fairly easy to make, whileFrictional Games had to create their own engine. We'll see if my lack of faith is proven wrong or not.
Alright then. I guess only time will tell. Personally, I think what they have now is a sturdy skeleton that can be fleshed out in any way they want. Whether they actually manage to do it is up in the air and largely pointless to discuss, but I give them pretty good chances. Really, I dislike the mapping too, I just think it's unfair to say the game is a lost cause just because the very first demo has a boring map.
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2012, 12:36 AM by Bridge.)
11-08-2012, 12:35 AM
Find
Hunter of Shadows Offline

Threads: 21

(11-05-2012, 11:19 PM)Danny Boy Wrote: Dead Space 3 is coming next year. But as for the Alien colonial marines game. Dead Space 3 is hardly an actual horror game.
Quote: In my opinion, action and fun oriented games like Dead Space, Doom, Quake etc are no horror games, same with Dead Island.
*headdesk*

Wow

How many times do I have to say it?

Horror and something being scary are two very very different things

Dead space 3 is most definitely a horror game, scary? not so much

Quote: Are you serious? May I remind you that Penumbra started out as basically the same thing. Saying that the programmers are not skilled enough to make it into a good game is really pessimistic. Personally I am impressed with what they have done so far, especially the way you read notes (which is far more immersive than anything FG have done so far). Anyway, I hope you realize that using the spray paint as a method of trailblazing is the point of the game. These are just the early stages, they will certainly come up with better maps before it is formally released, but the point is you wandering through hard to distinguish areas trying to survive. I actually think it is quite ingenious, and certainly a first in gaming.
No but the designer's did a far better job on Penumbra then Erie

I dislike Erie's design simply because of the fact that the monster's always know where you are...always, so it's more a matter of double-backing and finding the crawlspaces they can't go to, which quite frankly kind of killed any scariness for me simply knowing that no matter what happened the monster would always be after me due to a complete lack of the uncertainty and paranoia you would encounter in Amnesia or Penumbra
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2012, 08:45 PM by Hunter of Shadows.)
11-11-2012, 08:40 PM
Website Find
Danny Boy Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 85

(11-06-2012, 12:41 AM)The Rock Worm Wrote: I've heard of the AlIens Colonial Marines game (and love the fact that it's considered official story line). I just noticed your signature, I don't think I've heard of that Amnesia Mod. What is it about?
"Viridi Mors" means "Green Death" in Latin. All I can say about it is that it takes place on a Island and you will wish to have a radiation meter.
11-12-2012, 02:56 AM
Website Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

Quote: "Viridi Mors" means "Green Death" in Latin. All I can say about it is that it takes place on a Island and you will wish to have a radiation meter.
Sounds very interesting...but...well, my Latin is mighty rusty, but isn't "viridi" the dative case? I'm pretty sure the nominative is "viridis" Wink
(This post was last modified: 11-12-2012, 11:47 AM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
11-12-2012, 11:47 AM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

Threads: 83

(11-12-2012, 02:56 AM)Danny Boy Wrote:
(11-06-2012, 12:41 AM)The Rock Worm Wrote: I've heard of the AlIens Colonial Marines game (and love the fact that it's considered official story line). I just noticed your signature, I don't think I've heard of that Amnesia Mod. What is it about?
"Viridi Mors" means "Green Death" in Latin. All I can say about it is that it takes place on a Island and you will wish to have a radiation meter.
Sounds cool to play, I will have to keep my eye on its progress.
11-12-2012, 06:37 PM
Find