Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Path Node Question
amusei Offline

Threads: 8
Question  Path Node Question

Hi guys,
I have a question about Path Nodes. So I have created a corridor with many turns and when you walk a little a monster will appear to chase you. I use ShowEnemyPlayerPosition. I know that if you are using AddEnemyPatrolNode it will disappear when it reaches the last Path Node and the player is not looking. But what if you aren't using it but you have laiyed down a lot Patrol Nodes so that the enemy won't try to walk through walls(there are a lot of turns) while chasing you Big Grin. Also will he walk around or will he stay still when he loses you?
Thanks in advance Smile
11-03-2012, 12:49 PM
Find
Chap Offline

Threads: 16
RE: Path Node Question

If you set his state to SHowEnemyPosition then from my experience he won't despawn until either the player is dead or you change map etc.

It's true that he will disappear from the patrolNode statement though but you can set up a loop so that he goes back and forth or you can set it up so that he waits on the last node for how ever long. Though I think I tried that and he will still disappear when he can so you might want to test that if you use it.

As for the chase, I seem to remember if they lose the player they try to walk back to their starting place and once they reach it they will despawn if they can. Though I have had problems with that kind of thing where he will despawn on random places if he loses the player, you need to be careful with the environment that he uses. In the past I've had to change some of my level designs in order to create a better environment for the AI to work in.

I hope that helps a little. In short, test everything you do with AI. Something might work in theory, but there are lots of variables that can change how the AI behaves. GL!

[Image: 20643.png]
11-03-2012, 01:29 PM
Find
amusei Offline

Threads: 8
RE: Path Node Question

(11-03-2012, 01:29 PM)Chap Wrote: If you set his state to SHowEnemyPosition then from my experience he won't despawn until either the player is dead or you change map etc.

It's true that he will disappear from the patrolNode statement though but you can set up a loop so that he goes back and forth or you can set it up so that he waits on the last node for how ever long. Though I think I tried that and he will still disappear when he can so you might want to test that if you use it.

As for the chase, I seem to remember if they lose the player they try to walk back to their starting place and once they reach it they will despawn if they can. Though I have had problems with that kind of thing where he will despawn on random places if he loses the player, you need to be careful with the environment that he uses. In the past I've had to change some of my level designs in order to create a better environment for the AI to work in.

I hope that helps a little. In short, test everything you do with AI. Something might work in theory, but there are lots of variables that can change how the AI behaves. GL!
Thanks. I will experiment a little Smile
11-03-2012, 01:33 PM
Find