Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Model Editor Help A few questions
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76
A few questions

I have a few questions that I would like to know.

1-Can I export an armature and animations to another model? Because FG did this with the brute, right? If not, if I re-named all the armature bones as same as a grunt and I linked the
animations to them, would the animations work?

2-Also, how does the HPL engine link the attack animations with the actual attack? Just curiosity Smile

3-This is blender thing: How can I save animations? I've made a very simple animation for a cube and I would like to know how to save it. Does it have something to see with the "Bake"? Also, how do I link an armature to a model?

Thanks for your attention!

-The chaser (or Dolan)

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
11-03-2012, 08:09 PM
Find
ZodiaC Offline

Threads: 8
RE: A few questions

(11-03-2012, 08:09 PM)The chaser Wrote: I have a few questions that I would like to know.

1-Can I export an armature and animations to another model? Because FG did this with the brute, right? If not, if I re-named all the armature bones as same as a grunt and I linked the
animations to them, would the animations work?

2-Also, how does the HPL engine link the attack animations with the actual attack? Just curiosity Smile

3-This is blender thing: How can I save animations? I've made a very simple animation for a cube and I would like to know how to save it. Does it have something to see with the "Bake"? Also, how do I link an armature to a model?

Thanks for your attention!

-The chaser (or Dolan)
by armature you mean model right??
I think you can save an model with animation and a second without ..If this is what you mean :/

[Image: 2H1Mc.jpg]
11-03-2012, 08:37 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

Quote: 1-Can I export an armature and animations to another model? Because FG did this with the brute, right? If not, if I re-named all the armature bones as same as a grunt and I linked the animations to them, would the animations work?
If the two models have the exact same amount of bones and all bones are also named the same, it should theoretically work.
Quote: 2-Also, how does the HPL engine link the attack animations with the actual attack? Just curiosity [Image: smile.gif]
No idea.
Quote: 3-This is blender thing: How can I save animations? I've made a very simple animation for a cube and I would like to know how to save it. Does it have something to see with the "Bake"? Also, how do I link an armature to a model?
There is usually no need to save animations separately. If you export a blender file with an animated model in it as .dae (for hpl) the animation will be included in that file. (You might have to check the respective box in the export dialogue) Hpl requires two files though, one with the rigged model and one with the animated model, the latter one renamed to .dae_anim if I remember correctly.

In the rare case that you really need to save the animation separately (like, if you wanted to transfer it to another rig with the same bone names inside of Blender), there might be something equivalent to Mayas .anim export... I've never used Blender though, so I don't know if thats included by default. You might need to download a plugin for that or something.

Baking usually means simply that the program will go through the animation and put a key on every frame for every bone. This can help to avoid issues with the animation when exporting and can also be used to convert physical simulations into animations that are usable in game engines.

Lastly, models are bound to bone hierarchies (I assume thats what you mean with armatures...Blenders naming conventions sure are weird! Wink ) by skinning them. Search for an option called "bind", "smooth bind" or "skin"... once again I don't know what its called exactly in Blender, sorry :/ .
(This post was last modified: 11-04-2012, 01:11 AM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
11-04-2012, 01:10 AM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

I see that Blender isn't a much popular program in here Big Grin

I had a theory:

Let's say that I have a fully rigged model. With the exact amount of bones, with the same names, etc. Would this work?

-I export it to the amnesia folder, with it's textures
-In the nameofmonster folder I put the animations (the grunt ones)
-Later, in model editor, I link him the animations from the grunt.

Will it work? Because if it does, I will be able to do a lot of things.

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
(This post was last modified: 11-04-2012, 11:31 AM by The chaser.)
11-04-2012, 11:25 AM
Find
johnbox Offline

Threads: 5

Sadly it isn't, but it's still awesome. Just needs some time to create a real workflow, mine got destructed by this awful new GUI :/
But ehh, to your question, it should work, if you name everything right. I don't see any problems with this, hope I didn't missunterstood something O.o But.. however, just try it out, you'll see Big Grin

good luck ^^
(11-04-2012, 11:25 AM)The chaser Wrote: I see that Blender isn't a much popular program in here Big Grin

I had a theory:

Let's say that I have a fully rigged model. With the exact amount of bones, with the same names, etc. Would this work?

-I export it to the amnesia folder, with it's textures
-In the nameofmonster folder I put the animations (the grunt ones)
-Later, in model editor, I link him the animations from the grunt.

Will it work? Because if it does, I will be able to do a lot of things.

Working on a full conv.-mod, first pictures coming soon...

Working with Blender and other Stuff since 2009.
Using HPL-Engine since 2012 (learning..)
11-04-2012, 11:39 AM
Find