Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Note not working.
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6
RE: Note not working.

Replace ' with "

Are you getting errors/crashing or does the game just ignore the lang file?

I rate it 3 memes.
(This post was last modified: 11-04-2012, 08:17 PM by Adny.)
11-04-2012, 08:16 PM
Find
ZeroPie Offline

Threads: 2

(11-04-2012, 10:45 PM)Robosprog Wrote: Well, looks like my story won't be having notes then xD
<Entry Name="Note_Research_Name">Apologies</Entry>

<Entry Name="Note_Research_Text">I must apologize for the lack of research I have been able to do[br]on the temple. It seems to have no history![br]However, I have been able to identify it's location.[br]It is located in the Yorkshire Moors.[br]Best of luck, Harrison.</Entry>

Try that.
What was wrong was probably that the entry had a space in it like this:
<Entry Name(space here)='Note_Research_Text'> and the ' needs to be " so try it and see if it works.
11-04-2012, 11:01 PM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 20

(11-04-2012, 08:22 PM)Robosprog Wrote:
(11-04-2012, 08:16 PM)andyrockin123 Wrote: Replace ' with "

Are you getting errors/crashing or does the game just ignore the lang file?
" doesn't work with mine, I have to use '.

And no errors, only the note is ignored. I tried just using " for the note but still nothing.
Why do you say that " doesn't work with yours?
' clearly doesn't work either, so why do you think that they're more right?
I'm not certain about any of these things, but there's two things that bothers me:
1. The ' instead of ".
2. The spaces between Name and the equals (=) signs.

Noob scripting tutorial: From Noob to Pro

11-04-2012, 11:06 PM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

(11-04-2012, 11:09 PM)Robosprog Wrote: And still nothing. I'll try a full change to quotes but I think that won't work either. Just made it worse, went back to ' and it works, but still nothing with note.

I wasn't talking about just replacing one or two single quotes, or removing a few spaces, because I think if there's a single error in a lang file, the whole file will get thrown out.
I'll be looking into single quotes in lang files in a few months, but that's far away for you.
Single quotes work in regular XML, but double quotes (" - not “ (double high-6) or ” (double high-9)) should not "make it worse" (whatever that means). If your lang file still fails with double quotes, it's not because of your computer having personal issues with double quotes, but something else than the quotes.

11-05-2012, 12:16 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

Have you tried using a different profile (i.e. non-development profile)?

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
11-05-2012, 07:45 AM
Website Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

The only thing that I can come up with, is to first insert this as the first category (and if you want to use single quotes instead, go ahead):

<CATEGORY Name="CustomStoryMain">
<Entry Name="Description">
This is a story description.
</Entry>
</CATEGORY>

...and then secondly, to have the Journal category come before the Messages category.
It shouldn't matter, but I don't know anything else.

11-05-2012, 07:07 PM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

(11-05-2012, 08:00 PM)Robosprog Wrote: That just broke everything lol, but honestly, I think it's fucked, I reckon I'll just start over with a new extra english lang then see if it works.

(11-05-2012, 08:00 PM)Robosprog Wrote: That just broke everything lol, but honestly, I think it's fucked, I reckon I'll just start over with a new extra english lang then see if it works.
I've just gone and copied part of Nepsis' diary, applied what is needed to my note etc and still it doesn't work, so I'm not sure whether it's the lang file. The note works in Nepsis btw.
It could either be some sneaky hidden non-UTF character in your text, or it could be that the lang file simply isn't in the correct folder.
There's also another possibility: Since we're dealing with single quotes acting weird, maybe they have begun to be more strictly enforced than before. Single apostrophes are actually one of the five forbidden characters in XML strings. Technically, they should be replaced by the &apos; entity, so "It's" should actually be "It&apos;s", but nobody has really cared about it.

Edit: Well, actually, in this single case, it should simply be "its".

(This post was last modified: 11-05-2012, 08:39 PM by Cranky Old Man.)
11-05-2012, 08:35 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

I've just gone and copied part of Nepsis' diary, applied what is needed to my note etc and still it doesn't work, so I'm not sure whether it's the lang file. The note works in Nepsis btw.
Does the note have the name in it's place? Maybe this helps you Wink

http://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl2/tut...omakenotes

And, if you have a .map_cache delete it. They're the virus of amnesia developers.

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
11-05-2012, 08:36 PM
Find
ZeroPie Offline

Threads: 2

Okay great :P
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2012, 11:27 PM by ZeroPie.)
11-05-2012, 11:25 PM
Find