Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Halo 4 permaban for sexism
CorinthianMerchant Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 84
RE: Halo 4 permaban for sexism

Quote:Is this just another example of people being oversensitive to everything?
Really?

As a life-long male feminist, seeing stuff like "go back in the kitchen" and "tits or GTFO" makes me cry a little on the inside. I'm ashamed that so many people of my own gender are socially and emotionally retarded.

Still hasn't gotten over the loss of wubwub...
11-06-2012, 05:18 PM
Find
Obliviator27 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 10

(11-06-2012, 05:15 PM)Kreekakon Wrote:
Obliviator27 Wrote:This IS Xbox Live we're talking about. Where 12 year olds sleep with my mother and everybody calls each other a faggot because your general Live player is a generic douchebag, particularly if it's a game such as Call of Duty or Halo.

Is this just another example of people being oversensitive to everything? The moment a sandwich joke pops up, somebody gets offended? (Which, by the way, taking offense is little more than whining, I feel)
Just because a fanbase is full of jerks doesn't mean we should just accept it, and let them go on with it with the reason being "There's no use stopping them anyways". Rules should still be enforced. Not doing so would be like letting criminals run loose because people claim "that's just how society is".

Well, sometimes people like to have nice fun chatting with the more friendly strangers on a server, and it would really stink for it to be ruined by some silly kid. You could stop him by muting him, but that doesn't stop him from going to cause ruckus elsewhere. He could be muted there as well, but it's generally causing inconvenience for tons of people.

On the other hand, if bans are handed out to people who really deserve them, I'd say it's well in place, and doesn't give jerks chances to be jerks somewhere else.
I do agree here. Perhaps I mudded up my own viewpoint. I agree with these bans, as long as they're also extended further than sexist trash talk. If they're solely going to be used for that purpose, then I disagree with them.

Quote: But if the kids are behaving like this, that shows pretty clearly that
they do not yet possess the mental maturity required to play games that
were made for adults. Therefore, banning them from playing the game
might be just the right thing to do.
Also agreed. I really don't think children should have microphones in the first place. Granted, many adults are rather immature in the first place, so you can't blame online immaturity solely on children (though they do contribute) I'm not exactly against them playing mature games, as I played Halo and the like before I was into the double digits.

Quote: Really?
Really.

(This post was last modified: 11-06-2012, 05:59 PM by Obliviator27.)
11-06-2012, 05:58 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

I'm kinda siding with Obliviator here.

While it's great that they are trying to keep the arrogant assholes out of the gaming community, because, I mean c'mon... Everyone wants to have fun while playing a game. It's also necessary to point out that people like to compete as well. And that competition is brought out by picking at the bull, insulting and mocking. It's been around for YEARS, and not even in video games! They do it in sports, they do it in board games, they do it in competitions such as a hot dog eating contest for crying out loud. Sometimes it's fun to pick at a few players, and if a woman can't handle it, it's not fair to call judgement on them and have them banned.

I'm all for equality, but I'm not sure if taking it in a feministic direction is necessarily "equaling" the balance. =\ But I applaud what they are doing because some girls aren't comfortable enough playing around with guys, and if this makes them more comfortable, fine. But I don't think it's necessarily a fair step.

I think the saying was something like:
"If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen"

(and no, I'm not making a sexist joke here, that is the saying.)|

Or you can always do what Obliviator stated and simply mute players, go into party chat, or hell, knock the guy back with insults and make his friends laugh at him (if he has any)
(This post was last modified: 11-06-2012, 06:28 PM by Statyk.)
11-06-2012, 06:27 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

(11-06-2012, 06:27 PM)Statyk Wrote: While it's great that they are trying to keep the arrogant assholes out of the gaming community, because, I mean c'mon... Everyone wants to have fun while playing a game. It's also necessary to point out that people like to compete as well. And that competition is brought out by picking at the bull, insulting and mocking. It's been around for YEARS, and not even in video games! They do it in sports, they do it in board games, they do it in competitions such as a hot dog eating contest for crying out loud. Sometimes it's fun to pick at a few players, and if a woman can't handle it, it's not fair to call judgement on them and have them banned.
Fun trash talk is always okay, and anyone with half a brain cell should know not to over-react to that. The problem here is that it will sometimes go past joking, fun trash talk into genuine insults which then in turn are NOT okay.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
(This post was last modified: 11-06-2012, 06:43 PM by Kreekakon.)
11-06-2012, 06:41 PM
Find
CorinthianMerchant Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 84

(11-06-2012, 06:27 PM)Statyk Wrote: I'm all for equality, but I'm not sure if taking it in a feministic direction is necessarily "equaling" the balance. =\ But I applaud what they are doing because some girls aren't comfortable enough playing around with guys, and if this makes them more comfortable, fine. But I don't think it's necessarily a fair step.
So according you, if a woman can't handle some creepy dude on the bus or in the store, she should stay at home, thus not getting the same access to public domains as men?

Still hasn't gotten over the loss of wubwub...
11-06-2012, 06:45 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

(11-06-2012, 06:45 PM)CorinthianMerchant Wrote: So according you, if a woman can't handle some creepy dude on the bus or in the store, she should stay at home, thus not getting the same access to public domains as men?
No, the creepy dude should be vacated from said bus, or store.

Image by BandyGrass
11-06-2012, 06:52 PM
Find
Nice Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 37

I don't really see many sexist insults around the internet, there is equal amount of them if not less than the racist ones, religion trashing and so on.

So i dont understand why all the sudden "STOP SEXISM ITS OUT OF CONTROL!".

It's all the same garbage, sexism, racism, intolerance... they all deserve a ban. If the parents cant give them a lesson than a good ol' ban will.

Sorry but we cannot change your avatar as the new avatar you specified is too big. The maximum dimensions are 80x80 (width x height)
(This post was last modified: 11-06-2012, 07:05 PM by Nice.)
11-06-2012, 07:05 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

(11-06-2012, 07:05 PM)DogFood Wrote: If the parents cant give them a lesson than a good ol' ban will.
It won't...but it sure as hell will keep the douches off of the game, and stop the ruckus they cause.

Image by BandyGrass
11-06-2012, 07:13 PM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

Quote:It's a good step forward, but I don't know if I see it as needed.
Of course it is needed.

Quote:This IS Xbox Live we're talking about. Where 12 year olds sleep with my
mother and everybody calls each other a faggot because your general Live
player is a generic douchebag, particularly if it's a game such as Call
of Duty or Halo.
That does not mean it's ok. Also, the majority of online gamers are older than 20, the idea that everyone that insult people online are 12 is something that popped up after this became a problem, and I'm not sure why that is.

Quote:Is this just another example of people being oversensitive to
everything? The moment a sandwich joke pops up, somebody gets offended?
(Which, by the way, taking offense is little more than whining, I feel)
It's not about being oversensitive, please don't even assume it is about that. This is not your standard insults thrown at you in a competetive fashion, these people insult women because they are women. And that is more than wrong.

Quote:I also read that the author (A woman) noted that she had more fun
playing online games with her friends. So, as a solution, why not just
go into a party chat? Those have been available for a while and it's
quite easy to mute other players.
OR people can stop being assholes and let everyone play without having to get sexually harrassed for being a woman. What people need to understand is that it's NOT the women that's the problem, they have no guilt whatoever, it's the people who can't hold their profanities to themselves that's the problem, and only them.

Quote:For one, I've had quite enough of feminists claiming sexism everywhere.
However, if the permabans apply to those who insistently call somebody a
faggot, or threaten them (Commonplace things that are said to males)
then I say they're definitely taking this in the direction it needs to
go.
That has already been the job of the enforcers since they got established.

Quote:As a life-long male feminist, seeing stuff like "go back in the kitchen"
and "tits or GTFO" makes me cry a little on the inside. I'm ashamed
that so many people of my own gender are socially and emotionally
retarded.
It warmths my heart to see another feminist here on FG forums. Smile

Quote:I do agree here. Perhaps I mudded up my own viewpoint. I agree with
these bans, as long as they're also extended further than sexist trash
talk. If they're solely going to be used for that purpose, then I
disagree with them.
That kind of enforcement has always been there, but sexism it has not. That's why this is so big.

Quote:While it's great that they are trying to keep the arrogant assholes out
of the gaming community, because, I mean c'mon... Everyone wants to have
fun while playing a game. It's also necessary to point out that people
like to compete as well. And that competition is brought out by picking
at the bull, insulting and mocking. It's been around for YEARS, and not
even in video games! They do it in sports, they do it in board games,
they do it in competitions such as a hot dog eating contest for crying
out loud. Sometimes it's fun to pick at a few players, and if a woman
can't handle it, it's not fair to call judgement on them and have them
banned.
You are blaming the women, why are they the problem? Because they can't handle it?It has nothing to do with that, it's about sexist insults that offend thousands of gamers. And the only ones to blame here is the ones that insult other people. There's a different between trashtalk and insults.

And who are you to dictate what is a joke or not? You are not the one that gets sexually harrassed, You are not the one that gets rapethreats, You are not the one that gets offended, You are not the one that gets slimy and sexual invitations in your inbox, You are not the one that have to hide your identity because other people will insult you for being what you are. It's the people who get offended who are the ones to dictate what is offensive and what is joking. And as long as people keep blaming the victim, we will only take more and more steps backwards, and not forward.

This is exactly what I'm talking about, you are losing your privileges and thus you feel like your integrity is being violated, no it is not. What is happening is that we are letting women into the industry and that frighten so many male gamers around the world, but that is something they need to handle, because they are not the ones being belittled, it's the women that just try get a fair chance in this culture.

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
(This post was last modified: 11-06-2012, 07:28 PM by eliasfrost.)
11-06-2012, 07:25 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

(11-06-2012, 07:25 PM)nackidno Wrote: And who are you to dictate what is a joke or not? You are not the one that gets sexually harrassed, You are not the one that gets rapethreats, You are not the one that gets offended, You are not the one that gets slimy and sexual invitations in your inbox, You are not the one that have to hide your identity because other people will insult you for being what you are. It's the people who get offended who are the ones to dictate what is offensive and what is joking. And as long as people keep blaming the victim, we will only take more and more steps backwards, and not forward.
There is a fine line which is objective to what is joking, and what isn't. Anyone with common sense should understand this line. Anything which crosses this line will then be subject to personal preference. Some will continue to consider these to be jokes, while others will view them as offensive. It differs from person to person, so it's generally in everyone's best interest not to cross this line as it may be offensive for some. All the examples you posted in the above post are line-crossers.

If it hasn't crossed this objective line yet, anyone who is offended are over-reacting.

EDIT: You're really passionate about this, aren't you nackidno?

Image by BandyGrass
(This post was last modified: 11-06-2012, 07:39 PM by Kreekakon.)
11-06-2012, 07:33 PM
Find