Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Improve the plausibility of AMFP a bit.
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246
Improve the plausibility of AMFP a bit.

Hello.
I think the plausibility is a very important part of a horror setting to feel immersed.
A game should look a bit more realistic and not "computer generated".
So, when I watched the trailer of AMFP, I noticed that all lights are on. There are no flickering or "defect" lights.
I think, whe environment would be look much more realistic when some lights are off or flickering.
Actually it looks like a synthetic, clean world.
[Image: Unbenannt.jpg]
[Image: Unbenannt2.jpg]

Also the bricks on the wall of the industrial building. Should be a bit more damaged and dirty. Every single brick should look different to the other and not like a "clone". It's even too clean at all. Should be more waste laying around of the ground etc. Also more objects to interact.
(This post was last modified: 11-07-2012, 08:41 PM by Googolplex.)
11-07-2012, 08:37 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0
RE: Improve the plausibility of AMFP a bit.

Yeah I see what you mean... But I believe they did it like this on purpose.
One of the main themes of the game is the stark contrast between the decadent life of the wealthy and powerful and the horrifying places they created for the less fortunate to sustain their power. (factories, slaughterhouses, the machine...) It reflects how morally rotten they are on the inside while keeping up a facade of beauty and decency. Dishonored has a similar approach btw. Therefore, I think that thechineseroom aimed to make the contrast between the two "worlds" as striking as possible: One is clean, well-lit and tidy, the other one dark, filthy and chaotic.

On a more gameplay-related side, this contrast is also needed. If the player was to explore run-down dirty areas all the time he'd get used to it and they would lose their effectiveness. But by keeping the two sides in stark contrast they always feel "fresh."

In a nutshell: I'm sure we'll get to see dark and dirty environments as well as nice and bright ones so don't worry too much about it Wink

edit: Hm looking at the screenshots again, some parts of the machine environment seem pretty tidy as well. Maybe they wanted to symbolize the cold efficiency of the machine? Or maybe its to create contrast again... make you stumble from a nice room with golden tubes into a chute full of blood and guts... who knows.
(This post was last modified: 11-07-2012, 08:56 PM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
11-07-2012, 08:52 PM
Find
Oink Offline

I think it's safe to say that we shouldn't be too nit-picky about a teaser trailer for a game that isn't even finished yet. Smile
11-07-2012, 08:59 PM
Find
Hunter of Shadows Offline

Threads: 21

(11-07-2012, 08:59 PM)Oink Wrote: I think it's safe to say that we shouldn't be too nit-picky about a teaser trailer for a game that isn't even finished yet. Smile
This

Seriously
11-08-2012, 01:42 AM
Website Find
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

I don't see a problem. I would rather they work on making the actual game than making "every single brick different" for no real reason. It's not like they're all the same anyway

[Image: damascusrose2.png]
11-08-2012, 04:26 AM
Find
nofsky Offline

Threads: 13

Do you seriously think there won't be a defect or flickering light in the game? It's a horror game, of course it will have that!
11-08-2012, 04:30 AM
Find
GoldenFalcon101 Offline

Or maybe it's to show that the inside of the castle is very clean and tidy, almost as if someone's been looking after it whilst Oswald's away.
11-08-2012, 08:56 AM
Find
Deep One Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 9

(11-08-2012, 08:56 AM)GoldenFalcon101 Wrote: Or maybe it's to show that the inside of the castle is very clean and tidy, almost as if someone's been looking after it whilst Oswald's away.
You're right. Oswald was very rich man, surely he had maids and janitors taking care of his mansion while he was in Mexico.
11-08-2012, 02:28 PM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

Inb4 "an den wot of he poot da mades an janyturs in da masheen an turnt dem ento monsteers :o"

Posting Freak
11-08-2012, 03:58 PM
Website Find
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

(11-08-2012, 03:58 PM)Kman Wrote: Inb4 "an den wot of he poot da mades an janyturs in da masheen an turnt dem ento monsteers :o"
It took me several hours and a few calls to the Pentagon's decryption team, but I finally managed to understand what you said:

"and then what if he put the maids and janitors in the machine and turned them into monsters :o"

My accomplishment of the day.

I agree Googolplex. The lighting in the first picture is atrocious. The new models used and the overall design of the room looks fine though. When's the last time a clean orderly environment made someone fear-quit?

I rate it 3 memes.
11-08-2012, 06:29 PM
Find