Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Custom texture invisible in game
JonnyAnomaly Offline

Threads: 20
Custom texture invisible in game

I have made my own texture for a wall, put it down on a plane and its visible in the editor, but when I test it, its not visible. Can anyone point me to a tutorial on getting their own textures into the game? As far as I can see, its no different than any of the other textures that are in the game already and working.
11-17-2012, 01:09 AM
Find
crisosphinx Offline

Threads: 5
RE: Custom texture invisible in game

Open your .dae with notepad, change the material there. If you have a custom wall, make sure you link it to the model in maya/max/blender before you export.

Make sure you copy the .dae, change the name to something like "walledited.dae" and then edit it. You should find a phrase of text saying something like "wall.dds", change that to whatever you want it to be and place the texture in the same folder as the wall.

Good luck!

Animation and Rig questions -> crisosphinx@yahoo.com

3D Generalist. Notable work on FG Forums - The Great Work, Five Magics and Cowards Debt.
11-17-2012, 06:52 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

If you have the texture and relevant MAT file in your custom story's folder, check to see if you have any MAP_CACHE files in your maps folder. If so, delete them.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
11-17-2012, 08:05 AM
Website Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

(11-17-2012, 06:52 AM)crisosphinx Wrote: Open your .dae with notepad, change the material there. If you have a custom wall, make sure you link it to the model in maya/max/blender before you export.

Make sure you copy the .dae, change the name to something like "walledited.dae" and then edit it. You should find a phrase of text saying something like "wall.dds", change that to whatever you want it to be and place the texture in the same folder as the wall.

Good luck!
I don't think he has this texture on a model, I think it's just for a plane.
11-17-2012, 08:26 AM
Find
JonnyAnomaly Offline

Thanks for the suggestions guys, but having deleted the map_cache files, its still not visible. I have the files "wallpaper1.dds" and "wallpaper1.mat" in a folder called textures in my custom story's folder, and also copied them to the main folder to make sure they didn't need to be there also. The map_cache files also recreate themselves whenever I start the game, but I assume this is normal. Its strange how its showing in the editor but not in the game...

Your Computer, I've been following your videos and they've been really helpful getting started, so thanks for those!

Edit - Its also disappearing whenever I reload the map in the editor, and the texture will only appear if I point it to the .mat which I originally placed into a folder called "custom stuff" in the redist folder. If I try to assign the same material from a different folder (the folder of my custom story) it will not appear in the editor. I had this with a gobo I was trying to use, but it fixed it once I had put the gobo into the folder with all the standard ones, although putting my custom material in with the others will not make it appear.
(This post was last modified: 11-17-2012, 11:39 PM by JonnyAnomaly.)
11-17-2012, 10:45 PM
Find
JonnyAnomaly Offline

Would anyone be able to test my material and see if it works for them? Would be great if someone could verify that it works for them. Here is a link for a RAR with the .dds and .mat files.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/64xar6

Any other suggestions as to why its not working in game would also be really appreciated!
11-19-2012, 03:45 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/20790433/JonWall.zip

Place the folder in /static_objects. The above material has an AO added to your diffuse, a normal map and a spec map.

To solve you issues I suggest you take a second look at where your .mat files are pointing (to which diffuse) - if it points to an empty folder it's time to redirect.

It's also a matter of how you like to work: I create folders within /static_objects or /entities which I later, upon custom story export, move into my "custom story folder".

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

11-19-2012, 04:31 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

1 question, what file format is this texture in?
11-19-2012, 04:31 PM
Find
JonnyAnomaly Offline

Finally it works! I wasn't able to download JonWall because dropbox isn't working for me right now, but I put my files into a new folder in static_objects, and pointed it to that. Strange why it didn't work before because I put them into a folder in mansionbase, which should be pretty much the same, right?

I'll try the link again in a little while. Thanks for the help!

Traggey - The format is .dds

Edit - Had a look at the texture with the NVmap, looks really nice! All stuff I have to learn how to do...
(This post was last modified: 11-20-2012, 01:02 AM by JonnyAnomaly.)
11-19-2012, 10:40 PM
Find