Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Inspirations found in Black Plague
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34
RE: Inspirations found in Black Plague

Quote:the elements of gameplay in Penumbra remind me of Thief (the emphasis on stealth and luring the enemy away - the way how well it works)

Oh, what i love Shalebridge Cradle in Thief 3. It's the scariest game level in history. If you don't believe then go buy the game and play into that lvl, trust me, you will nearly stop playing. Smile

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
04-07-2008, 07:07 AM
Find
Petike Offline

Threads: 35

nackidno Wrote:
Quote:the elements of gameplay in Penumbra remind me of Thief (the emphasis on stealth and luring the enemy away - the way how well it works)

Oh, what i love Shalebridge Cradle in Thief 3. It's the scariest game level in history. If you don't believe then go buy the game and play into that lvl, trust me, you will nearly stop playing. Smile

Never really played any of the games from the Thief series. I have to change that some time in the near future... ;-) Thanks for getting me interested. :-)

"You... silly Billy !" (Clarence, Penumbra : Black Plague)
04-13-2008, 01:08 AM
Find
Petike Offline

Threads: 35

nackidno Wrote:

Howdy ! :-)

I was lucky recently, and happened to acquire myself the third installment, Thief : Deadly Shadows. Playing it now and I am totally engulfed by it's atmosphere. Wonderful game. I love stealth. :-)

"You... silly Billy !" (Clarence, Penumbra : Black Plague)
04-19-2008, 10:49 PM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

Glad you liked it.:p

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
04-20-2008, 06:08 PM
Find
Fatbaticus Offline

Threads: 16

Yeah the nightmare did make me think this is a rip off from silent hill but its cool!
04-23-2008, 04:38 AM
Find
Nephil Offline

Threads: 3

I really miss the Silent Hill series, and it appears that the new installment will be nothing but a slasher with some quasi-Silent Hillian flavour. So long, Silent Hill.

When it comes to Penumbra, Black Plague didn't directly remind me of any other games. But yes, I kept thinking about Silent Hill, and about The Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth, especially when I played Overture.

Another thing about Silent Hill I'd like to mention: it had great atmospheric cutscenes with nice music, but I've never been able to make it work correctly on a PC. The sound was stuttering all the way.

Penumbra isn't a masterpiece, neither is The Call of Cthulhu. At the same time, the former is a very nice deviation from the regular resident-evil style action-based pattern and I want to see more games following in the footsteps of Penumbra, which is a suspense-based horror. The latter, CoC: DCOTE, also had too much action in it and was kinda... lacking. In the design, too. But it had lots of promise. Such games as DCOTE and Penumbra are the best you can expect from game developers. Sadly, it shows that computer games is a substandard form of art in general. Wonder if anyone will read this message through the end.
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2008, 03:53 PM by Dhk.)
05-23-2008, 03:51 PM
Find