Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Importing mesh into model editor problem
JonnyAnomaly Offline

Threads: 20
Importing mesh into model editor problem

Hi all,

I have been following Acies' modular wall sets tutorial and made one myself, exported it with OpenCollada and I can view it in model viewer, and all looks well. When I try to import the mesh into the model editor, it messes up and bunches all the seperate objects together. See these pictures -

http://postimage.org/image/odt6n6wfd/

http://postimage.org/image/dspt78v8h/

I have tried combining the objects in Maya in order to keep them in the right place, but it doesn't seem to work.
11-23-2012, 03:47 AM
Find
crisosphinx Offline

Threads: 5
RE: Importing mesh into model editor problem

If in Maya, do you combine the models, delete history and delete non-deformer history and make sure there are no keyed animations on them?

If you do all that, it should work. Also, when you export from Maya using opencollada, use these export settings found on my tutorial here:

http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-18352.html

Make sure you scroll down to export settings and uncheck animation.

Animation and Rig questions -> crisosphinx@yahoo.com

3D Generalist. Notable work on FG Forums - The Great Work, Five Magics and Cowards Debt.
(This post was last modified: 11-23-2012, 04:03 AM by crisosphinx.)
11-23-2012, 04:02 AM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

Make sure all of the objects pivot points are located at (X, Y, Z) 0, 0, 0 in Maya. Simple select all objects go to (top menu) Mesh --> Combine, then Mesh --> Separate. Export again.

Edit: GJ :]

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

(This post was last modified: 11-23-2012, 04:59 AM by Acies.)
11-23-2012, 04:59 AM
Find
crisosphinx Offline

(11-23-2012, 04:59 AM)Acies Wrote: Make sure all of the objects pivot points are located at (X, Y, Z) 0, 0, 0 in Maya. Simple select all objects go to (top menu) Mesh --> Combine, then Mesh --> Separate. Export again.

You don't really need to separate them unless they move/ sway. Since it's a wall piece, it's ok for it to be all combined.

3D Generalist. Notable work on FG Forums - The Great Work, Five Magics and Cowards Debt.
11-23-2012, 05:08 AM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

(11-23-2012, 05:08 AM)crisosphinx Wrote:
(11-23-2012, 04:59 AM)Acies Wrote: Make sure all of the objects pivot points are located at (X, Y, Z) 0, 0, 0 in Maya. Simple select all objects go to (top menu) Mesh --> Combine, then Mesh --> Separate. Export again.

You don't really need to separate them unless they move/ sway. Since it's a wall piece, it's ok for it to be all combined.

I constructed the tutorial to have 2 diffuse maps, in which it would be good practise to separate the meshes - otherwise HPL2 won't read the textures properly :]

Edit: It's okay to keep the wooden parts combined though. Just keep in mind - one texture per mesh.

(This post was last modified: 11-23-2012, 05:29 AM by Acies.)
11-23-2012, 05:27 AM
Find
JonnyAnomaly Offline

Thanks for the advice, I'll try your suggestions now Smile
11-23-2012, 05:33 AM
Find
crisosphinx Offline

(11-23-2012, 05:27 AM)Acies Wrote:
(11-23-2012, 05:08 AM)crisosphinx Wrote:

I constructed the tutorial to have 2 diffuse maps, in which it would be good practise to separate the meshes - otherwise HPL2 won't read the textures properly :]

Edit: It's okay to keep the wooden parts combined though. Just keep in mind - one texture per mesh.

General rule of thumb is to not use more than 1 diffuse texture map. Otherwise, it starts to get messy and bad. If it's one model, try to use one UV/textural diffuse, spec and normal/bump map. Yes... sometimes you have to sacrifice color and textural space for just getting another model in there... :[

It's part of the reason why Warmacha11 had so many problems (when he asked for my help, seeing all those diffuse maps with little detail on them made my head spin and I was about to choke a b**ch).

11-23-2012, 05:45 AM
Find
JonnyAnomaly Offline

(11-23-2012, 05:33 AM)JonnyAnomaly Wrote: Thanks for the advice, I'll try your suggestions now Smile
Seems to be working except now the wooden parts are invisible - I have a wood1.mat file in the folder with it, but it doesn't show up when I try to point to the file. I'm probably doing something stupid here, so I'll go back over it and check it out.

Edit - Yep, I'm stupid. The wood1 material wasn't showing because it was a material I think Maya made when I pointed Maya to the wood1.dds file. It looks like its working in the editor now, so thanks very much for the help, guys. Hopefully I can begin to make some cool stuff for the game with some more learning Smile
(This post was last modified: 11-23-2012, 06:01 AM by JonnyAnomaly.)
11-23-2012, 05:46 AM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

(11-23-2012, 05:46 AM)JonnyAnomaly Wrote:
(11-23-2012, 05:33 AM)JonnyAnomaly Wrote: Thanks for the advice, I'll try your suggestions now Smile

Seems to be working except now the wooden parts are invisible - I have a wood1.mat file in the folder with it, but it doesn't show up when I try to point to the file. I'm probably doing something stupid here, so I'll go back over it and check it out.
Make sure your wooden parts aren't combined with your "wall/textile/plane" :] Wooden parts can be combined together, but not with the wall. If it's still failing - delete your .mat files, make sure Maya points to filenames which exist within the folder of your model then load the model again in modelview.

(11-23-2012, 05:45 AM)crisosphinx Wrote: General rule of thumb is to not use more than 1 diffuse texture map. Otherwise, it starts to get messy and bad. If it's one model, try to use one UV/textural diffuse, spec and normal/bump map. Yes... sometimes you have to sacrifice color and textural space for just getting another model in there... :[

It's part of the reason why Warmacha11 had so many problems (when he asked for my help, seeing all those diffuse maps with little detail on them made my head spin and I was about to choke a b**ch).
It can be preferable to use two diffuse maps sometimes. 2x1024 takes less space/memory load than one 2048. One can get away with it! Wink For this tutorial I wanted to keep things "newbie friendly" - ergo slap a seamless texture on the wall then apply a wooden texture to the wooden parts. Otherwise the user would have:
A. Correctly scale the UVs for a proper ratio
B. Amend the seamless texture to fit into his laid out UVs
In all it would have been "more work".

Keeping things simple - getting people started creating stuff. Hopefully wanting them creating more - tools towards advancing can be given then :]

(This post was last modified: 11-23-2012, 06:01 AM by Acies.)
11-23-2012, 06:00 AM
Find
JonnyAnomaly Offline

Is there a quick way to scale my wall to be the same exact size in Maya as the other mansionbase walls? I want to make a doorway piece for my wall, not sure the best way to do that.
11-23-2012, 06:26 AM
Find