Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heavy GUI Lag!
DuBrony Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 3 Weeks ago Heavy GUI Lag!

I recently got Amnesia: The Dark Descent. After turning down some graphics settings, SSAO, resolution, etc., I got NO problems when playing. However, when I tried to bring up the inventory, the framerate drops so badly, it'll take 3 minutes until the inventory goes away (after holding the TAB key the whole time >.<). The same goes for the 'esc menu', mementos, journal, and various papers laying around the castle. After going through a few pages, I gave up. It really makes the game unplayable, especially when my lantern ran out of oil. I can't even put oil in it without waiting several minutes for a single frame to pass!

I updated my graphics card when I got Borderlands on my computer, and it works great. The same goes for Left 4 Dead 2, Portal 2, Mirror's Edge, and a few other demanding games that I have. Here are my specs:

Spoiler below!
Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600)
Intel® Core™ Duo CPU (Laptop, btw) T2250 @ 1.73GHz (but rated at 2.38GHz)
2.1 GB RAM

ATI Mobility Radeon X1300 (0x7149)
128 MB memory
1280x800 resolution (but I run games at smaller, like 800x600, for a serious FPS boost, try it sometime)
Hardware T&L: Yes
Pixel Shader: 3.0
Vertex Shader: 3.0

some information was gathered in the DirectX Diagnostics Tool (dxdiag), and some at 'Can You RUN It?'
( http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri )

Any/all forms of fixing this issue is grately appreciated.
11-23-2012, 08:04 AM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72
Solved: 8 Years, 3 Weeks ago RE: Heavy GUI Lag!

Where did you get your Amnesia?
11-23-2012, 08:46 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

According to http://www.amd.com/us/products/notebook/...specs.aspx your graphics card is too weak.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
11-23-2012, 06:32 PM
Website Find
DuBrony Offline

Too weak? For a simple GUI? Couldn't there be anything I could tweak to get it working?
11-23-2012, 08:34 PM
Find
TheBlastPassage Offline

Threads: 18

Yes, actually. Run at ABSOLUTELY lowest possible settings and the lowest resolution that the Amnesia Launcher will let you go (Sometimes, launcher lets resolution go as low as like 400x300) and then if that doesn't lag, leave all settings at lowest but try increasing resolution by 1 setting up at a time and see which one is the highest you can get without lag.

11-23-2012, 10:15 PM
Website Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

His game is going to crash or stop functioning eventually if it is true that the card does not support anything beyond OpenGL 2.0. Playing the game in the lowest settings will only go so far. Calling the GUI simple doesn't make it simple.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
11-23-2012, 10:24 PM
Website Find
DuBrony Offline

(11-23-2012, 10:15 PM)TheBlastPassage Wrote: Yes, actually. Run at ABSOLUTELY lowest possible settings and the lowest resolution that the Amnesia Launcher will let you go (Sometimes, launcher lets resolution go as low as like 400x300) and then if that doesn't lag, leave all settings at lowest but try increasing resolution by 1 setting up at a time and see which one is the highest you can get without lag.
I tried the lowest setting, but for the life of me, but I couldn't read the options menu so I just gave up. I haven't actually tried playing with it, though. It just might work...

It's very weird though, how the main menu gives out no problems but the in-game menu just doesn't cooperate. Are they two different things, and is it possible to (somehow) convert the in-game GUI to work like the main menu? Sounds like a stretch, sure, but is it possible?

EDIT: I tried the lowest setting for everything, and only little progress was made. And last night, I left Amnesia on while I slept, to see if keeping it on for a bit would help. It came back up with no problems, but still lagged when I tried to put oil in the lantern. I checked my OpenGL version, and it said 2.1. I looked at the OpenGL website and it says there is a 4.3 version. Is there a way to update OpenGL?
(This post was last modified: 11-23-2012, 10:38 PM by DuBrony.)
11-23-2012, 10:24 PM
Find
TheBlastPassage Offline

No, that's not possible to convert the menu to the in-game GUI.

The GUI lags in-game because the game is rendering. But on the main-menu there is MUCH less to render

I would recomend a new Graphics Card

11-23-2012, 10:45 PM
Website Find
DuBrony Offline

(11-23-2012, 10:45 PM)TheBlastPassage Wrote: No, that's not possible to convert the menu to the in-game GUI.

The GUI lags in-game because the game is rendering. But on the main-menu there is MUCH less to render

I would recomend a new Graphics Card
Yeah, it's probably about time I got a new graphics card. What's the best card to get, considering I'm using a Dell Inspiron E1505?
11-23-2012, 10:52 PM
Find
TheBlastPassage Offline

Is that a laptop?

11-23-2012, 11:22 PM
Website Find