Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Who are your favorite authors and Why?
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60
RE: Who are your favorite authors and Why?

I enjoy spending some time reading, 10 books on average per year - so it's hard to pick a favourite. I'm also having trouble remembering names, so I'm just going to pick a few I come up with.

Khaled Hosseini - A Thousand Splendid Suns & The Kite Runner.

Hari Kunzru - The Impressionist.

Stephen King. Appeals to my sci-fi/supernatural taste.

Nick Perumov. Fun fantasy series :]

I'd recommend reading "The Impressionist" if you haven't read it. Recently re-read it and I still enjoyed it :]

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

11-23-2012, 05:43 PM
Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

(11-23-2012, 05:31 PM)Statyk Wrote: I honestly wish I had the patience to read. The only times I read a book was for school, and most of them are not interesting, which is why I think most kids don't read nowadays. They feed us the more confusing, poorly plotted stories, and we think "Are they ALL like this?" It kind of sucks, honestly. Though there were some good ones out of the few that I read
Do you read Short Stories? Given your clear respect for story and plot(otherwise you wouldn't be a moderator of Frictional Fucking Games' forums) you may find enjoyment in these. I refused to read anything until I was in Third Grade, at which point I discovered GooseBumps. It took only three months for me to tear through every book by R.L. Stein in the library, and when new ones came I was the first to grab them, but the other children needn't fuss; the books were always returned by the end of that same day. I guess I just needed something to be interested in - good news for my mother, since she herself was a self-taught reader at the age of two. She must have thought I was illiterate.

When I was at the end of my third grade year, I read The Story of King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table, an eleventh-grade book, in a single week-end. Before I found my "Gateway" into literature I thought it all to be boring and dull, but I now respect many forms of writing; my appreciation has grown vast with intellectual maturity. The same may be possible for you, just find an interest, and a truly worthwhile author to fulfill it.

If you want down to earth Sci-Fi, then I suggest Roboapocalypse. But an absolute masterpiece would be The Illustrated Man. Fucking read it.

(11-23-2012, 05:43 PM)Acies Wrote: I'd recommend reading "The Impressionist" if you haven't read it.
What's it about? If that's asking to spoil -- what's the genre?

RockBand, you have peaked my interest; I will check out this Cassandra Clare.
(This post was last modified: 11-23-2012, 07:13 PM by failedALIAS.)
11-23-2012, 07:11 PM
Find
Obliviator27 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 10

When I was a kid, this book series was the shit.
[Image: tumblr_mcd488HvxL1rhxgwfo1_400.jpg]

I read quite substantially before getting into computer gaming. After that...well, I do pick up a book now and again, but not very often. Especially since my parents had quite the diverse library and I haven't lived with them for some time.

However, I would say one of my favorite authors is R.A. Salvatore. His fantasy works are fantastic, and I find myself particularly drawn to his stories involving Drizzt Do'Urden.

J.R.R. Tolkien is a splendid writer, and The Hobbit is probably my favorite book of his to date. I honestly struggled to get through The Fellowship Of The Ring, as I oftentimes got bored with the way scenes would seemingly drag on and on.

Garth Nix's Sabriel series was also an interesting read, as he explored necromancy and how it was performed in his universe.

But I don't read a whole lot anymore. Well, fiction, at least. I consistently read the newspapers and news articles online, so I think I have my bases covered.

11-23-2012, 07:51 PM
Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

(11-23-2012, 07:51 PM)Obliviator27 Wrote: When I was a kid, this book series was the shit.
[Image: tumblr_mcd488HvxL1rhxgwfo1_400.jpg]
Are they still making those?
11-23-2012, 08:29 PM
Find
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 176

Orwell, Plath, Ishiguro and Burgess to name a few.

But my absolute favourite author is

Spoiler below!
Myself.

I've written a couple of novels before.

Spoiler below!
Kidding

[Image: p229xcq]
(This post was last modified: 11-24-2012, 12:56 AM by Froge.)
11-24-2012, 12:55 AM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

Does Planescape Torment count as a book? That game is like 90% reading, and good reading at that.

On a more serious note, I don't read too much but when I do it's most likely some short story, that said I don't really have a favourite author, but if I have to choose one it'd be Terry Pratchet, because it's probably his books I've read the most, and I liked it. I've never had a great interest in reading books that much though I love text heavy games (that's why I love Torment, Baldurs gate and Morrowind) and that's probably the biggest dose of litterature I get, sometimes I regret that I don't read as much as I should, because I like to write and exposing yourself to the arts that you practice is the best way to learn for me. I think that's why I like painting and music better, because I find it more intriguing to watch and listen than to read.

Quote:J.R.R. Tolkien - What's not to love about Lord Of The Rings? I have also read the book that was put toghether by his son; Unfinished Tales Of Númenor And Middle-earth. It had a great atmosphere and feeling to the stories, it's a shame he (J.R.R. Tolkien) didn't finish many of them.
The only book of his that I've read is Bilbo (or there and back again) but I just couldn't get into the trilogy, I found the beginning tremendously slow and tedious so I quit, Bilbo is a really fine book though and I loved it, can't wait for the movie later this year.

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
11-24-2012, 01:13 AM
Find
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 176

I didn't like LOTR much either. I give it credit and respect for basically inventing the entire fantasy genre, but it's just that I've read better fantasy novels. Not to mention all the random implied racism.

[Image: p229xcq]
11-24-2012, 01:29 AM
Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

(11-24-2012, 01:29 AM)Chronofox Wrote: I didn't like LOTR much either. I give it credit and respect for basically inventing the entire fantasy genre, but it's just that I've read better fantasy novels. Not to mention all the random implied racism.
He was not racist! I'm tired of this idea! You want a racist author? Read Lovecraft; moving on. . .
11-24-2012, 04:40 AM
Find
Danny Boy Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 85

Hate Stephen king even though he is in almost every one's list of favorite writers...

And love Edgar Alan Poe... Cuss well It robs me in the right spot...
11-25-2012, 02:48 AM
Website Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

Quote:Hate Stephen king even though he is in almost every one's list of favorite writers...
Agreed, the main reason would be his inability to write decent dialogue, it kinda reflects into the movies based on his books, the "new" the shining comes to mind (damn that movie was awful).

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
11-25-2012, 02:51 AM
Find