Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 4.64 Average
The Mansion 1408
Tiero Offline

Threads: 13
RE: [Released] The Mansion 1408

(12-05-2012, 01:25 AM)Alex Ros Wrote: Absolutely clean work, no complaints or at all. Really nice translation of Stephen King's short-story into the game. Extremely short and simultaneously very interesting. There's only a few of puzzles and events, because the game itself is very short, but all of them are unexpectedly unique and clever. I do not know what else can I say... if anyone wants to have a 10-15 minutes of a truly enjoyable gaming than try Mansion 1408 without doubt. 100% recommend.

The only sad thing is that I knew the story. I am a very big fan of the Stephen King and I've read all of his books, I mean exactly all of them from the very first to the most new. Oh... I wish I could not read at least this short-story, it could be a lot more frightening...
Thank you very much!

[Image: 111.jpg]
12-05-2012, 08:30 AM
Website Find
Tiero Offline

English version aviable! Thanks for that MyRedNeptune! Smile

12-07-2012, 08:46 AM
Website Find
MyRedNeptune Offline

Threads: 3

Guys, if you don't play this you're missing out. Big Grin

^(;,;)^
12-07-2012, 09:11 AM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

Well, I've finished it, and:

Very cool story. The environment was amazing, but I would love to go faster, you know? Also,there were two billboards in a room that crossed furniture, but, overall, a 9/10! It's a really good story, a pleasure for me (I've been playing jumpscare stories lately).

The story was... excellent. Cliché, but excellent. I love the credits "For the cool guy I am" Big Grin

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
12-08-2012, 08:05 PM
Find
MyRedNeptune Offline

Threads: 3

My favorite moment in the whole story is

Spoiler below!
"Dear Mr Jake, how do you not understand that I am playing with you? MUHAHAHAHA"

That inhuman laugh at the end provided just enough contrast with the calmness of the voice to send chills down my spine. Big Grin

^(;,;)^
12-08-2012, 08:40 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

English version? HA! To the Fapcave!!

I mean... well, you know what I mean.
12-08-2012, 11:13 PM
Find
Tiero Offline

The chaser, thank you! Big Grin

MyRedNeptune,
Spoiler below!
Fuck Yeah! Big Grin
Hirnwirbel, Big Grin Enjoy! Smile

(This post was last modified: 12-09-2012, 07:49 AM by Tiero.)
12-09-2012, 07:46 AM
Website Find
ApeCake Offline

Threads: 20
RE: [Released] The Mansion 1408 [English Version Available!!!]

Well, here's my review on it.

Goddamn. That was a solid piece of fine work. The environment was great and the walls were greatly put together (gotta love carpets, great idea to use them, they really helped with setting the mood). And the sound design & music was goddamn unbelievable. Damn that was a blast playing with headphones on. Also the idea of a small house, unlocking every door every so often, but still playing through the same rooms was a genius idea. It really felt like every time I returned to the bed the whole house was different. The story was good and the voice acting was about as amazing as it can get. Also the environment felt very original. The only thing that leaves a bitter taste in my mouth is the ending.
Spoilers ahead (my opinion on the ending).
Spoiler below!

I chose to offer myself and rescue my son, but by the time I got all four books turned on the environment began to bore me a bit. Also it was a bit frustrating using the hammer first on the broken book, at first I thought that was the only item you need. Then I went upstairs after the great voice actor told me that I was doomed. So I went -slowly - to the dinner room when the monster came up. Usually I'm scared of them, but I didn't felt any sort of fear when encountering him. It's probably because I expected this and hoped it wouldn't happen because it would make a bad ending. So I kept looking at the brute for a few seconds and then it turned to me, to which I responded by running at him; promptly turning the screen black, and popping a text up; "You did not escape the house."
So I thought, no biggie, I'll try again. But that was it. Still good to have a "one-life" system in these kind of maps, don't get me wrong. But I just expected a... grand finale. This ending dissapointed me.

I'd rate it a 9/10. (I'm a bit of a critic so that's a very nice rating indeed!)

One of the best maps I've ever played. Everything was just so perfect (except the ending). Oh god, it just makes me want to dance to think that there are mapcreators out there who can just create a map this amazing.
Anyways, an absolute amazing map, and I recommend everyone to play it this instant!
12-11-2012, 07:12 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

Spoiler below!

*Game tells me to fight my fear*

Me: Fight my fear? Okay! *Runs to monster*

*Games goes to black, and displays "You did not escape the house." while playing game over sound*

Me: *Flips table*

True story.

Joking aside though, I thought that this was a very well-made map even if it was short. The mapping was great. The creepiest thing in the whole game IMO was the statue/bust next to the window which casts a long shadow onto the floor in front of you.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
12-11-2012, 07:22 PM
Find
Tiero Offline

Wow! ApeCake, Kreekakon, thank you very much, I'm very pleased! Smile

(This post was last modified: 12-11-2012, 09:28 PM by Tiero.)
12-11-2012, 07:46 PM
Website Find