Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Amnesia editor - Help // questions?
Racingcreed Offline

Threads: 12
Amnesia editor - Help // questions?

Hey,

I'm trying to learn the Amnesia editor, and I'm loving it so far, the ability to create literally anything is really amazing me, however, being a student with no scripting experience, or any experience in PC editors for that matter, I'm a little unsure on how to use this editor, so I'd like to ask a few questions in the hope some of your may be able to answer, which of course, I appreciate greatly. Smile

Question One: When I load my map, the one thing I notice is the lack of sound/ambiance/music, I only hear sounds such as footsteps, picking up items, unlocking doors etc. How do I add music, sounds etc to the background? - In addition to this, how would I enable sounds when a player does a certain act?

For example - A player unlocks a door, I want additional sounds, perhaps a monster? How would I do this? (Please note I appreciate simplistic instructions if possible as I'm new and find it difficult to follow instructions around scripting as I have no experience/knowledge with it).

Question Two: How do I create additional "areas" to my custom story? By this I mean, when you're playing Amnesia, some doors load additional areas and break up the game via a loading screen. How do I do this? Do I have to create a separate map altogether? What codes do I need, and in what file? I really have no understanding or ideas in how to do this, so any help is greatly appreciated!

Question Three - For notes, how do I add narration? What would I need to do to do this? I have the notes created, but I don't know how to add narration.

Question Four - How do I enable save points, and checkpoints? If my player dies, I don't want them to go back to the start point, so how do I enable save points? In addition to the above (regarding loading additional areas), when a player returns to a previous area, is there certain points I would need to know about where they appear in that particular world?

Question Five - How do I change monsters behaviors? For example, making them patrol, go to certain areas etc? Or is it random/uncontrollable?

There is so much more I need to know, but this should be enough for now. Again, any help is appreciated A LOT! and thank you for taking the time to read/answer.

Smile

Every artist dips his brush in his own soul, and paints his own nature into his pictures. - H.W.B

12-05-2012, 09:23 PM
Find
GoranGaming Offline

Threads: 30
RE: Amnesia editor - Help // questions?

You have a lot to learn. But i suggest that you first learn the scripting basics and than start doing other stuff.

Current projects:

The Dark Prison 85 % (Stopped working on this one)

Unnamed Project 7 %
12-05-2012, 10:18 PM
Website Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

Well, let's say the numbers:

1: PlayMusic, PlaySoundAtEntity (scripts) and the sound tool are your friends when making ambience. Decals are ambience too, this thread explains you a lot of things that you may like.

For the key that spawns monster, is very simple:

///We use the key in door

void Key ////(Parameters)
{
SetSwingDoorLocked("Door", false, true);
SetEntityActive("Monster_buh", true);
RemoveItem("Item");
}

2:

Yes, there are over 20 different maps in Amnesia, more or less. Cistern, mansion, for example.

3: ???

4: If you die, you will spawn at the PlayerArea where you appeard first (or that I think) anyways, this explains how to make checkpoints.

5:

The monsters are versatile but "retarded". So, you can make them patrol, follow a path, etc. If you make them, these are your script friends:

AddEnemyPatrolNode("Monster", "Nameofthenode", 0, "");
ShowEnemyPlayerPosition("Monster");

Having them patrol is way more complicated. This explains how to do loops, but I think you won't understand it Sad

Oh, the "Amnesia modder websites" are:

http://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl2/start

http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-40.html

Hope it helped! Smile

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
12-05-2012, 10:41 PM
Find
Racingcreed Offline

Thanks for the prompt responses, and yeah, i can imagine there is a lot I need to learn, and I know it'll take time, but I really enjoy creating maps on consoles, so learning on the PC is something I'm really looking forward too Wink Especially since Amnesia 2 is coming out next year..

I'll bookmark all the links you guys have provided, and if I have any more questions, I'll ask. I really appreciate your help and support, it's helping me greatly! Big Grin

Every artist dips his brush in his own soul, and paints his own nature into his pictures. - H.W.B

12-06-2012, 12:01 AM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

A lot to learn but a lot to enjoy too. You will know that feeling when a home-made script worked (I mean using them originally), or monsters, or the maps... anyways, I hope my basic guide helped you.

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
12-06-2012, 12:09 AM
Find
Racingcreed Offline

You've been a great help to me, I can't thank you enough. I love creating maps, I've made hundreds on various games such as Halo, Far Cry, Littlebigplanet, Crysis, you name it, if it has an editor, I've played it Smile

I've also read your guide to better tips for creating stories, it was most helpful and I'll certainly try to include the tips you've provided for us. Smile

12-06-2012, 12:13 AM
Find