Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Amnesia editor - Object Collisions?
Racingcreed Offline

Threads: 12
Amnesia editor - Object Collisions?

I'm currently building my custom map, and seeing as this is my first attempt, there's a lot of things I'm not how to do, or if they're possible.

What I'm trying to do is place a wooden beam under some stair railings, on the underside it fits nicely, however, on the top it pears through the surface of the floor. Is there a way to hide or chop objects to prevent this?

Thanks Smile

Every artist dips his brush in his own soul, and paints his own nature into his pictures. - H.W.B

12-15-2012, 10:13 AM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79
RE: Amnesia editor - Object Collisions?

A screenshot would be nice.
But you can change the "Y" factor by "0.01-0.05"of the Wooden Beam if their is some flickering issues.
12-15-2012, 01:21 PM
Find
Racingcreed Offline

An example of the problem would be as follows:

You place a wall down, then you place a wooden beam through it. It clips the centre of the wall and pokes through both ends of the wall. Is there a way to only have it poking through one end, not both?

Every artist dips his brush in his own soul, and paints his own nature into his pictures. - H.W.B

12-15-2012, 10:27 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

Please, post a screenshot so we exactly know your issue.

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
12-15-2012, 11:42 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

I believe if scaling the beam on one axis to make it shorter doesn't work, the only solution would be to alter the model in a 3D program. Slicing or otherwise altering meshes inside an engine is a pretty unusual feature and usually only there if it has a special gameplay purpose, not for level editing. (Like in Dead Rising 2, where you can dynamically cut through zombies and it will create and texture the new polygons at the intersections in realtime. ^^)
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2012, 11:52 PM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
12-15-2012, 11:51 PM
Find
Racingcreed Offline

Alright, here's a screenshot fo what I mean:

http://oi48.tinypic.com/rl9um8.jpg

The beam pokes through the surface of the floor, but as you might suggest to lower it, on the bottom side there is always a gap between the beam and ceiling..

Is there a way to prevent this?

12-16-2012, 02:07 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Isn't there any space between the upper floor and the ceiling of the floor below it, where you can hide the part of the beam? You know, like this? (Behold my amazing paint skillz!)
.jpg   beam.jpg (Size: 32.03 KB / Downloads: 122)

Quote: but as you might suggest to lower it, on the bottom side there is always a gap between the beam and ceiling..
Have you tried turning grid snapping off, so you can move the beam more precisely? It should be possible to place it in a way where it touches the ceiling perfectly without going through the upper floor. I mean it's possible in real houses too, right? Big Grin (of course only if the ceiling/ floor has a certain realistic thickness to it, like on my drawing.)
12-16-2012, 05:32 PM
Find
Racingcreed Offline

Yeah, I have tried grid snapping off, and no, there is no space, it either pops out the top of leaves a gap underneath, there's no middle point as you had shown in the painting.

Hence my question if there was anyway to prevent it?

12-16-2012, 06:18 PM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79

Well you have to be creative and put other props to hide the parts you don't want shown then.

Or just don't use it at all.
12-16-2012, 06:39 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Well if there is no space, why don't you just make space there? Big Grin (= place the ceiling plane a bit lower) With how your level is built, no, there is no way to prevent the problem you're having. If a polygon is there, it is going to be rendered. The engine cannot know if it is clipping though other geometry or not...
12-16-2012, 06:45 PM
Find