Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Amnesia dark descent vs penumbra black plague
Danny Boy Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 85
RE: Amnesia dark descent vs penumbra black plague

Requiem was never supposed to be a horror. Just an expansion for puzzles.
12-18-2012, 07:45 PM
Website Find
Saty Offline

Threads: 1

(12-18-2012, 07:45 PM)Danny Boy Wrote: Requiem was never supposed to be a horror. Just an expansion for puzzles.
First game- survival horror
Second game- survival horror
Third game- puzzle game

Does not compute if you know what i'm saying.
12-18-2012, 08:16 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

@thread poster

Please, don't say "enemies". That's a wrong word for a horror game.
Enemies automatically means a conflict, war or fight back.

But yeah, I think the Infected are scarier than the grunts or the brutes somehow.
But the dogs and spiders also are scary, and that because they are plausible, not typical computer game like.
I really like real existing monsters more than fantasy.

Penumbra: Overture is the best game of the Frictional universe, Penumbra series in general is a better experience than Amnesia. Black Plague was scarier, but Overture was better (more plausible, more thinking, more interaction, more story, more puzzles etc.) Even Requiem is a good horror game and it shows that monsters are not needed to make a scary atmosphere.

(12-18-2012, 07:45 PM)Danny Boy Wrote: Requiem was never supposed to be a horror. Just an expansion for puzzles.
That's wrong. It's not only made for puzzles, it's also about horror.

People just doesn't understand that because the previous titles are scarier and because there are no monsters anymore. But it's still horror and of course, scarier than other "horror" games.
(This post was last modified: 12-18-2012, 08:27 PM by Googolplex.)
12-18-2012, 08:24 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(12-18-2012, 08:24 PM)Googolplex Wrote: @thread poster

I don't want to get into a huge semantic argument but dude, Amnesia is all about conflict. Inner conflict, conflict with the Shadow and all of the enemies (Hint: Enemies are near???) and whatever else you want to add to that list. Frankly, it is completely irrelevant what term you use; in the end there are monsters in the game which you have to avoid, ergo enemies.
12-18-2012, 09:07 PM
Find
Saty Offline

Threads: 1

(12-18-2012, 08:24 PM)Googolplex Wrote: @thread poster

But yeah, I think the Infected are scarier than the grunts or the brutes somehow.
But the dogs and spiders also are scary, and that because they are plausible, not typical computer game like.
I really like real existing monsters more than fantasy.

Penumbra: Overture is the best game of the Frictional universe, Penumbra series in general is a better experience than Amnesia. Black Plague was scarier, but Overture was better (more plausible, more thinking, more interaction, more story, more puzzles etc.) Even Requiem is a good horror game and it shows that monsters are not needed to make a scary atmosphere.

People just doesn't understand that because the previous titles are scarier and because there are no monsters anymore. But it's still horror and of course, scarier than other "horror" games.
Many have called Overture the best but according to Gamespot it isn't.

Penumbra Black Plague got rating 8.2 on gamespot, Overture got 7.9 , Requiem got 6.7.

"I really like real existing monsters more than fantasy."

This!!
12-18-2012, 09:21 PM
Find
Danny Boy Offline
Posting Freak

(12-18-2012, 08:24 PM)Googolplex Wrote:

Well what do I know. I never actually bought that game. All I knew about it was that it didn't directly connect whit the previous games or something. And was more puzzle focused than the others.
12-18-2012, 09:23 PM
Website Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Bridge, that's not the meaning of conflict I wanted to describe. I mean an enemy conflict, you mean the story conflict with Alexander and all that behind.
Let me explain, why the monsters are no enemies:
An enemy is when you have to shoot the level 3 Boss' head off to end a battle and open next level.
But Amnesia is not a fun game, the monsters are no enemies placed in to fight back and get praised to become stronger and stronger to be the superhero in the end. In Amnesia it's not the classical meaning of an enemy, this is why Amnesia is unique. Enemy is just not the correct word.

I remember a further thing for the thread poster:
One of the most important things what makes Penumbra better than Amnesia is the interaction with thoughts of the player by right mouse where you can examine objects and the environment. That was immersing! And also that the texts are written like "I must, I should do, It seems like, ..." instead of the Amnesia texts "You must, You have to, Find a way out, ...".
In Penumbra the texts are thought or written by the player himself, while in Amnesia the texts are more like hints by the computer or a third person. That was the most fail of the game and break the immersion enormous down.
12-18-2012, 09:25 PM
Find
Danny Boy Offline
Posting Freak

(12-18-2012, 09:21 PM)Saty Wrote: Many have called Overture the best but according to Gamespot it isn't.

Penumbra Black Plague got rating 8.2 on gamespot, Overture got 7.9 , Requiem got 6.7.

"I really like real existing monsters more than fantasy."

This!!
Yes believe in a millionaire company more than the actual people who played the game.... Ign gave good classifications to Mass Effect 3 but failed to mention something about about it's very dead end.

(12-18-2012, 09:25 PM)Googolplex Wrote: Bridge, that's not the meaning of conflict I wanted to describe. I mean an enemy conflict, you mean the story conflict with Alexander and all that behind.
Let me explain, why the monsters are no enemies:
An enemy is when you have to shoot the level 3 Boss' head off to end a battle and open next level.
But Amnesia is not a fun game, the monsters are no enemies placed in to fight back and get praised to become stronger and stronger to be the superhero in the end. In Amnesia it's not the classical meaning of an enemy, this is why Amnesia is unique. Enemy is just not the correct word.

I remember a further thing for the thread poster:
One of the most important things what makes Penumbra better than Amnesia is the interaction with thoughts of the player by right mouse where you can examine objects and the environment. That was immersing! And also that the texts are written like "I must, I should do, It seems like, ..." instead of the Amnesia texts "You must, You have to, Find a way out, ...".
In Penumbra the texts are thought or written by the player himself, while in Amnesia the texts are more like hints by the computer or a third person. That was the most fail of the game and break the immersion enormous down.
Redist-> entities-> enemies

MAKES SENSE!
(This post was last modified: 12-18-2012, 09:28 PM by Danny Boy.)
12-18-2012, 09:26 PM
Website Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

(12-18-2012, 09:23 PM)Danny Boy Wrote: All I knew about it was that it didn't directly connect whit the previous games or something. And was more puzzle focused than the others.
That's also wrong. Requiem is a part of the Penumbra story and continue it to an end.

It's not only a cobbled puzzle game! I sayd already, people doesn't understand that.
Perhaps you should buy Requiem, otherwise you never played Penumbra to an end.
12-18-2012, 09:28 PM
Find
Danny Boy Offline
Posting Freak

(12-18-2012, 09:28 PM)Googolplex Wrote:
(12-18-2012, 09:23 PM)Danny Boy Wrote: All I knew about it was that it didn't directly connect whit the previous games or something. And was more puzzle focused than the others.
That's also wrong. Requiem is a part of the Penumbra story and continue it to an end.

It's not only a cobbled puzzle game! I sayd already, people doesn't understand that.
Perhaps you should buy Requiem, otherwise you never played Penumbra to an end.
I only played part of the first penumbra Tongue and as I said before. I only am saying what I heard.
12-18-2012, 09:30 PM
Website Find