Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Versus mode idea
HanSolo381 Offline

Threads: 1
Versus mode idea

I got an idea about some type of "Versus mode" in Amnesia. I know they were some discussions about multiplayer there, but this is not about people playing together for the same purpose. So what is it about? It is for two players. One of them is playing normal Amnesia with only one difference: if he dies, he loses and the other player wins the game. The other player is playing something like a strategy. His target is to kill the first one using traps, monsters etc. For better orientation, I will call the player playing normal Amnesia "prey", and the other one "hunter". The hunter uses the in-game currency named "fear points" to buy and place various traps, jumpscares, monsters etc. He gets the points from decreasing the prey's sanity. There are two types of units(traps, jumpscares and monsters): "Instant", which are cheaper and activate immediately after placing; and the "Detector" ones, which activate after the prey reaches the specific area. There are also three types of monsters: the cheapest "Poofers", which can't damage the prey, but they reduce its sanity; the "One hit" ones, which can hit the prey only once and then they dissapear like the Poofers; and the "Classic" monsters, which are most expensive and dissapear only after some time of prey's hiding. If the prey has the "..." sanity level, the hunter gets the fear points continuously until the prey increases it by drinking sanity potion or solving puzzles.
The prey wins, if it reaches the end of the map. So what do you think about it? Do you like it? (I'm sorry for any grammar mistakes in this topic, if I made some of them. I'm not from any english-speaking coutry so please don't hate me for that.)
12-19-2012, 07:02 AM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72
RE: Versus mode idea

I read half way through and stopped. This is ridiculous. These games are meant to be horror based single player games, not multiplayer carnival games. This has been discussed time and time again. What you are doing here is basically what EA did from Dead Space 1 to Dead Space 3.

No.
(This post was last modified: 12-19-2012, 07:04 AM by Statyk.)
12-19-2012, 07:04 AM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

(12-19-2012, 07:04 AM)Statyk Wrote: I read half way through and stopped. This is ridiculous. These games are meant to be horror based single player games, not multiplayer carnival games. This has been discussed time and time again. What you are doing here is basically what EA did from Dead Space 1 to Dead Space 3.

No.
Yea...
It wouldn't be scary if you already knew what could happen, because at some point, the hunter would reuse his scares, and it wouldn't be scary.
Also the fact that you know somebody else is playing this, will make you more calm, because you might be able to outsmart what he does.
Playing against a computer would make it random and strange. The unknown is a source to fear.

Trying is the first step to success.
12-19-2012, 07:28 AM
Find
Tenacious Offline

Threads: 6

(12-19-2012, 07:28 AM)beecake Wrote:
(12-19-2012, 07:04 AM)Statyk Wrote: I read half way through and stopped. This is ridiculous. These games are meant to be horror based single player games, not multiplayer carnival games. This has been discussed time and time again. What you are doing here is basically what EA did from Dead Space 1 to Dead Space 3.

No.
Yea...
It wouldn't be scary if you already knew what could happen, because at some point, the hunter would reuse his scares, and it wouldn't be scary.
Also the fact that you know somebody else is playing this, will make you more calm, because you might be able to outsmart what he does.
Playing against a computer would make it random and strange. The unknown is a source to fear.
The idea alone isn't great at all. Amnesia's greatest fear comes from the fact that you're alone. Introducing a companion, whether AI or not, wouldn't make Amnesia... well... Amnesia. Games like Amnesia should be left as single-player.
12-19-2012, 10:35 AM
Find
Danny Boy Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 85

Why bother respond to something that has been more than discussed on this forum. People... Just shut up and let this fade away.
12-19-2012, 07:55 PM
Website Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

Agreed.
12-19-2012, 07:59 PM
Find