Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Work in progress Creating a Monster...want opinions
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 16
RE: Creating a Monster...want opinions

(12-30-2012, 10:09 PM)blakeman909 Wrote: Make his true face hidden. Put a shade over his face so none of us know how he looks. Make him have huge muscles and large holes in his shirt. make him look business like with a white shirt and decent pants. Make him wielding a knife, a knife that looks bloody and make it look like a knife used in science for cutting open frogs and stuff Tongue. I think that will be creepy. Sounds like a good custom story idea I'm looking forward to playing it.

How would that, in any conceivable way, be regarded as creepy? In the proper composition of a frightful monster, one must first take the audience into consideration: Who am I making this for? What are they scared of?
What made the monsters from Amnesia: The Dark Descent scary? It's that they were on the base level, human, but with horrific derangements.
12-31-2012, 12:29 AM
Find
blakeman909 Offline

Threads: 7

(12-31-2012, 12:29 AM)failedALIAS Wrote:
(12-30-2012, 10:09 PM)blakeman909 Wrote: Make his true face hidden. Put a shade over his face so none of us know how he looks. Make him have huge muscles and large holes in his shirt. make him look business like with a white shirt and decent pants. Make him wielding a knife, a knife that looks bloody and make it look like a knife used in science for cutting open frogs and stuff Tongue. I think that will be creepy. Sounds like a good custom story idea I'm looking forward to playing it.

How would that, in any conceivable way, be regarded as creepy? In the proper composition of a frightful monster, one must first take the audience into consideration: Who am I making this for? What are they scared of?
What made the monsters from Amnesia: The Dark Descent scary? It's that they were on the base level, human, but with horrific derangements.

Adjustments should be made to the hands and such to make it look somewhat demonic, but its the concept of being chased by a shadow that is scary. Though this is merely my opinion. You are correct though, I don't think my idea would be scary, but as a custom monster is being made by someone unprofessional (no offense) going into great detail can be hard. Sometimes the concept scary is easier than making the content scary. I no doubt that someone could be something much scarier, it was just a suggestion.

(This post was last modified: 12-31-2012, 06:16 PM by blakeman909.)
12-31-2012, 02:37 AM
Website Find
Damascus Offline

Threads: 118

Hmm... a wandering maniac that just wants to kill... Here's my idea for him if you want to go through the trouble:

Crazy ripped muscles. His hands are perpetually balled into fists, which are bloody, and the bones of his knuckles are exposed. He is filled with such violent energy he is baring his teeth; he is also grinding them, so blood runs out of his gums and out of his mouth. I think giving him ungroomed hair and facial hair wouldn't be aesthetic, but shadowing his eyes is a good idea.

Covered in wounds that he hasn't bothered to tend as he attacks people. Possibly wearing pants or only shorts or underwear. He walks around furiously, shoulders hunched and stomping feet, wheezing heavily. He is coordinated and frighteningly fast when he runs, like a track runner.

12-31-2012, 07:32 PM
Find
Bronzedragon316 Offline

Threads: 5

I'm liking the idea's I'm hearing. I think I'm ready to get started, I'll keep you guys updated but I want to take this slowly so I don't quit due to frustration
01-04-2013, 07:13 AM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

Threads: 83

(12-24-2012, 09:21 AM)Bronzedragon316 Wrote: Hi there! I'm going to attempt to create an enemy (I know I will most likely end up aging myself 20 years while trying to make it, but I want to give it a try none the less)

My idea for the story I'm building is this. I already have the voices for the monster I'll post a link to the files.

http://www.mediafire.com/?3139bniz69amggw

All sounds are done by me with editing, one is however taken from the internet and edited you will easily be able to spot it. I made these files to replace the Grunt sounds. If you want to you could copy the grunt sound files and replace the original with these files and it will replace the Grunt's voice. If need be I can make a newer version of the voice if people really want to replace the Grunt. It can also replace the Brute with some word editing if you want.

Anyway, I was hoping to create an Enemy that was...Human. Not completely morphed into a monster with no Jaw or a Sword for an arm. but a human. Problem is I want him to be menacing.

The backstory for the monster is this. He was a scientist who discovered a way to make Humans "perfect" meaning perfect DNA, Size, Strength. If anybody has played the RE series, basically he became a Wesker.

However the injection made him perfect, but destroyed his mind. now he's a wandering maniac that just wants to kill and kill.

So I'm up for concept ideas for the character. Should he have a weapon or use his fists. what about the hair? should it be longer and over his face or shaven or something else?

I'm not asking for somebody to build this at all, just interested in some idea's people might have. Thanks for anybody who read this giant wall of text

Let's see, how about the following concepts for your monster?

1: Make you're enemy very hairy so that, from a distance, this investigator thinks its a Yeti/Bigfoot (of course it's not though). Your player is following the killer of the investigator.

2: Penumbra's Tuurngait-infected humans still resembled humans... mostly. Besides a human intestine sticking out, the only other really noticable difference between it and humans are its eyes/mouth. The eyes are an unnatural all black, and skin is lost around the mouth. Your monster could also have 'unnatural eyes' and sharper/animal-like mouth (adding to the amateur investigator's belief it's Bigfoot).

3: Penumbra: Black Plague had an interesting character called Wilbur Frisk. He is human, but he's basically a form of what you're wanting. Something strang happened to him and now he can't stand the light and acts like an animal (I doubt even the Infected would wander into his 'territory'). Maybe have your monster have a similar concept behind it.

I hope this helps you. If you need anything, I will do my best to help out.
01-05-2013, 05:06 AM
Find
ferryadams10 Offline

Threads: 40

I like trains..

Got a nice sofa
Please come and have a seat for a while

01-11-2013, 04:05 PM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(01-11-2013, 04:05 PM)ferryadams10 Wrote: I like trains..

10/10 great post very insightful and totally necessary.

Posting Freak
01-11-2013, 04:38 PM
Website Find
ferryadams10 Offline

Threads: 40

(01-11-2013, 04:38 PM)Kman Wrote:
(01-11-2013, 04:05 PM)ferryadams10 Wrote: I like trains..

10/10 great post very insightful and totally necessary.

Well what should I say... I've got some creative and smart moments Wink

Got a nice sofa
Please come and have a seat for a while

01-11-2013, 06:43 PM
Find
crisosphinx Offline

Threads: 5

(12-30-2012, 07:52 PM)kittyzilla90 Wrote: I would recommend finding a way to make him like, jittery. Do you know those guys from dead space who just vibrate a whole lot, and run really fast? The fast, jittery motion creeps people out.
Are you saying like my models? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wdvJPhtRWo

Watch the remnant, specifically.

-----

EDIT:

Also, if you decide to do hair, make sure you know what you're doing. Making hair stick out can be easy, but for unprofessional modelers, it's difficult to get the hang of it at first. I suggest you make it as simple as possible, but still believable, meaning, don't model a ton of detail. It should also have good edge-flow. If it doesn't get ready for crappy animations.

Animation and Rig questions -> crisosphinx@yahoo.com

3D Generalist. Notable work on FG Forums - The Great Work, Five Magics and Cowards Debt.
(This post was last modified: 01-11-2013, 06:58 PM by crisosphinx.)
01-11-2013, 06:54 PM
Find