Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Penumbra Prequel made in Amnesia
The Rock Worm Offline

Threads: 83
RE: Penumbra Prequel made in Amnesia

(12-28-2012, 07:19 PM)maarten12100 Wrote:
(12-28-2012, 04:21 PM)The Rock Worm Wrote:
(12-28-2012, 03:28 PM)Googolplex Wrote:
(12-27-2012, 08:33 PM)maarten12100 Wrote: And they were totally harmless you had to hit a dog 3 times to kill it.

You need 6 hits even on "easy".

Don't think I've ever tried it on easy. It's much more fun and challenging to try it on hard. Of course it makes the enemies that much harder to kill. Even a dynamite didn't kill an enemy dog in one shot.
Seriously what are you guys using the broom?!
With the pickax I thought it was only 3 strikes might have been more as spiders were 2 strikes.
It has been half a year since I last replayed Overture.

One, I never used the broom. Two, I play on the hardest setting. Three, the monsters take longer to kill the harder the setting.

I enjoyed Penumbra Overture/Black Plague so much I just might replay it again.
12-28-2012, 09:29 PM
Find
Insanity Offline

Threads: 0

Personally, I think annabelle swanson's backstory would be a lot more interesting than Howard's mainly because he would want to stay to study the creatures and communicate with them whereas annabelle actually wants to make a cure and escape the facility which seems a bit faster paced and there would be more to do. Also I wouldn't mind learning about how she managed to lock herself in that room.

Smile
01-03-2013, 02:20 AM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

Good point, I to would love to learn how she was able to lock herself in in spite of the Tuurngait. Red did extremely well to have survived for so long against the Tuurngait, Dogs, Spiders, and Worms.

If anyone could survive in the world of Amnesia The Dark Descent, Red would be the best bet.
01-03-2013, 02:58 AM
Find
serbusfish Offline

Threads: 75

(12-27-2012, 12:44 PM)Googolplex Wrote: Penumbra is scarier than Amnesia. The mine in Overture is really more earnestly compared to Brennenburg castle and that makes the horror.
In Penumbra I don't feel like to be in a game. In Amnesia, you feel like in a game. That is a horror no-go.

The problem is, that Amnesia has flashbacks which will pull you out of the immersion, and that the environments are less complex and less seriously. Amnesia is more melancholic horror, a contrast between creepy and sissy. And that works good, but it was by far a smaller experience like Penumbra.

I mainly praise Penumbra Overture for its well made horror setting. I felt like to be alone in a leaved mine and that the danger is behind every corner. I really was immersed. Amnesia also has this feeling, but not as much as Penumbra.

So it's totally wrong when you said Penumbra environments are less scary.

I personally played the Penumbra games after completing Amnesia. Penumbra very rarely scared me, the first one has weapons which totally removed the fear factor IMO, the second was better but still not as intense as Amnesia.

I always thought Overture would be better if the enemies had been people rather than dogs, imagine being in that dark mine with no weapons when suddenly a miner appears with yellow glowing eyes and starts chasing you... THAT would freak me out.

01-15-2013, 02:57 AM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Quote: Red did extremely well to have survived for so long against the Tuurngait, Dogs, Spiders, and Worms.

If anyone could survive in the world of Amnesia The Dark Descent, Red would be the best bet.
Yeah... y' know... it may sound like a boring idea, but I'd really love to play a little custom story or addon where you play as red, starting shortly before or shortly after he gets caught in those rooms and can't leave.
Have this small, enclosed environment that quickly becomes familiar and fight for survival there: Figure out how to get water or how to get electricity running again and catch slugs and rats to eat, all while being increasingly tormented by the Tuurngait and your own rising insanity. I think it could make for a fascinating little story.
(This post was last modified: 01-15-2013, 10:16 PM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
01-15-2013, 10:16 PM
Find
Gunslingerjh Offline

Threads: 48

(01-15-2013, 10:16 PM)Hirnwirbel Wrote: Yeah... y' know... it may sound like a boring idea, but I'd really love to play a little custom story or addon where you play as red, starting shortly before or shortly after he gets caught in those rooms and can't leave.
Have this small, enclosed environment that quickly becomes familiar and fight for survival there: Figure out how to get water or how to get electricity running again and catch slugs and rats to eat, all while being increasingly tormented by the Tuurngait and your own rising insanity. I think it could make for a fascinating little story.

That is actually a good idea for a short CS, only recreating the Penumbra environment is sort of a problem! I know you can replace the grunts with the tuurngait in Amnesia, i've seen some videos of that.

01-15-2013, 11:11 PM
Find
Solitary Walker Offline

Threads: 9

Interdasting

Disregard Everything; Acquire Aesthetics
01-16-2013, 02:39 AM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Quote: That is actually a good idea for a short CS, only recreating the Penumbra environment is sort of a problem!
I believe that, while difficult, that would be the amongst the least of all problems Wink It's just a few rooms after all and it should be possible to import the mesh files and textures. The really hard stuff would probably be implementing a hunger/ thirst system and coming up with the tons of interesting scripted events to make the player experience Red's descent into insanity. And the voices in Red's head...those would be crucial to get right...
01-16-2013, 08:31 PM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

(01-16-2013, 08:31 PM)Hirnwirbel Wrote:
Quote: That is actually a good idea for a short CS, only recreating the Penumbra environment is sort of a problem!
I believe that, while difficult, that would be the amongst the least of all problems Wink It's just a few rooms after all and it should be possible to import the mesh files and textures. The really hard stuff would probably be implementing a hunger/ thirst system and coming up with the tons of interesting scripted events to make the player experience Red's descent into insanity. And the voices in Red's head...those would be crucial to get right...

Getting textures and models from Penumbra to Amnesia would be easy, doing the voice in his head would be tough. Listening to Clarence would give an idea on the voice style, and possibly the attitude.
01-17-2013, 12:44 AM
Find
BMacklin Offline

Threads: 1

Sounds like a wonderful idea. I need to try out more Amnesia mods.
01-17-2013, 05:36 AM
Find