Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

[Live] Awesome Games Done Quick - Charity Marathon (Jan 6th-12th)
Apjjm Offline
Is easy to say

Threads: 18
[Live] Awesome Games Done Quick - Charity Marathon (Jan 6th-12th)

[Image: AGDQ-2013-Isaacs-Descent.png]

(Marathon is now live! click the banner to watch!)

What is Awesome Games Done Quick (AGDQ)?
AGDQ is a 7 day charity gaming and speed-running marathon organised by Speed Demos Archive (SDA) to raise money for the Prevent Cancer Foundation. Speed runners will play continuously through 115 different games, as fast as possible during the event. The event will start on Sunday, Janurary 6th - 13:00 EST (18:00 GMT). If you'd like, you can check out a trailer here.

How can I watch the event?
Simply click on over to the Speed Demos Archive home page during the marathon - you will be re-directed to the marathon stream page. When the marathon is live you will be able to see the streams & the chat - you will also be able to see how to donate, if you wish to do so.

What games will be featured?
To name just a few: Amnesia, Starcraft 2, Portal 2, Super Mario 64, Mega Man Games, Castlevania Games, Super Meat Boy...
You can view the full schedule with times (and prizes) here. Don't worry if you miss a game you want to see, as after the marathon recordings will be uploaded and available to get!

Do I have to donate to watch?
Watching the marathon is free! However, if you donate - as well as helping out a good cause - you may also be in the draw for some awesome prizes (see the schedule) and can choose to add a comment to your donation which may be read out on stream. Furthermore there are also game specific challenges, goals and bidding wars (for things like character names) too. Note that there is typically a small minimum donation amount for prizes (last year it was usually $5/$10 depending on the prize).

There was a marathon last year?
Yes, and it raised over $145,000! There have been others too, and if you would like to check out any of the videos & schedules from previous marathons they can be accessed here. If this is your first time watching the marathon, here is a huge collection of highlights from last year which you can check out.

Sounds cool - but what's a speedrun?
A Speed run is just playing through a game as fast as possible, often abusing glitches or flaws in the game to do so. In this marathon all the games will be played on the original hardware and no cheats will be used.
(This post was last modified: 01-06-2013, 07:21 PM by Apjjm.)
01-04-2013, 04:10 AM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72
RE: Awesome Games Done Quick - Charity Marathon (Jan 6th-12th)

This looks interesting =]

Are you taking part in this?
01-04-2013, 04:58 AM
Find
Apjjm Offline
Is easy to say

RE: Awesome Games Done Quick - Charity Marathon (Jan 6th-12th)

Sadly not. I was seriously considering it but I found out two uni exams are scheduled in the middle of the event for me. I would like to fly out and go to one of the marathons sometime in the future though if they do more.
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2013, 05:30 AM by Apjjm.)
01-04-2013, 05:29 AM
Find
Apjjm Offline
Is easy to say

RE: [Live] Awesome Games Done Quick - Charity Marathon (Jan 6th-12th)

just bumping this up once as a reminder that this marathon is now live and will be running non-stop until the 12th - do drop by if you can!
(This post was last modified: 01-06-2013, 07:23 PM by Apjjm.)
01-06-2013, 07:23 PM
Find