Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I can't use modern static objects
str4wberrypanic Offline

Threads: 24
I can't use modern static objects

I was trying to import things from white night ( since i don't know how to import from Penumbra ), but i can't see any static objects. They just aren't there when i open the folder in the level editor. I thought " well, it must be some problem with White Night ", but i've tried it with another modern custom story and it still doesn't work, they don't appear in the folder. The entities are working fine, the problem is just with the static objects.

(This post was last modified: 01-06-2013, 03:21 AM by str4wberrypanic.)
01-06-2013, 03:21 AM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34
RE: I can't use modern static objects

Where did you place them? how are they organised?
01-06-2013, 12:18 PM
Find
TheGreatCthulhu Offline

Threads: 10

Is there a white_night folder in redist\static_objects folder (or amnesia the dark descent\static_objects for Steam ed)?

EDIT: If there is, the "white_night" category should appear along with the others in the Static Objects panel. You're not trying to find them using File > Open (cause that won't work, it's for maps only)?

Another way to use static objects which aren't listed in the Static Objects panel is to place any static object on the map, then select that object, and click on [...] button next to the Mesh text box (at the bottom). Then you can browse to any dae file. This is how you can add custom-story specific static objects, if they are located somewhere inside the folder of the custom story. You might want to consider copying some of the dae files from White Night to your custom story folder, and then doing it this way, because if you simply add an object located in white_night, other people will also have to install White Night in order to play your custom story (or full conversion).
(This post was last modified: 01-06-2013, 12:45 PM by TheGreatCthulhu.)
01-06-2013, 12:37 PM
Find
str4wberrypanic Offline

(01-06-2013, 12:18 PM)martinnord Wrote: Where did you place them? how are they organised?
I've installed White Night normally, so the static objects are in redist/static_objects/white_night

(01-06-2013, 12:37 PM)TheGreatCthulhu Wrote: Is there a white_night folder in redist\static_objects folder (or amnesia the dark descent\static_objects for Steam ed)?

EDIT: If there is, the "white_night" category should appear along with the others in the Static Objects panel. You're not trying to find them using File > Open (cause that won't work, it's for maps only)?

Another way to use static objects which aren't listed in the Static Objects panel is to place any static object on the map, then select that object, and click on [...] button next to the Mesh text box (at the bottom). Then you can browse to any dae file. This is how you can add custom-story specific static objects, if they are located somewhere inside the folder of the custom story. You might want to consider copying some of the dae files from White Night to your custom story folder, and then doing it this way, because if you simply add an object located in white_night, other people will also have to install White Night in order to play your custom story (or full conversion).
Yeah, the white night cattegory appears in the static objects. And another thing, i can see some of the static objects (like cars and benchs), but i can't see walls, ceilings and floor. I've tried browsing it by placing a random static object then clicking on [...], but the walls and things still doesn't show up. And thank you for the observation about copying the files.

Edit: I've compared the bench with the walls, and the walls doesn't have .dae or .msh files. They are all tga and jpeg.

(This post was last modified: 01-06-2013, 06:18 PM by str4wberrypanic.)
01-06-2013, 06:04 PM
Find
TheGreatCthulhu Offline

Hm... I'm guessing that the person who created white night simply used plane primitives in conjunction with those texture files, and not custom models. More precisely, it's the material (*.mat) files that were used (which in turn reference those jpgs & tgas) - the folder contains a bunch of them. (You can check this by loading a White Night map.)

In the editor, click on the Primitives button, and create a plane (select a mat file first), then place it and rotate it as necessary, to use as floor, wall or ceiling.

Edit: I checked - yup, it's just planes. Tip: when selected, go to the plane tab to adjust the tiling of the material.
(This post was last modified: 01-06-2013, 09:16 PM by TheGreatCthulhu.)
01-06-2013, 09:14 PM
Find
str4wberrypanic Offline

Oh, now it makes sense, but it's so... impractical to use Primitives to make walls. Anyway, thank you The Great Cthulhu, you helped me a lot.
If someone know a link where i can download the penumbra walls to amnesia i would be very grateful, since i don't want to buy the game just to use the walls. =D

01-07-2013, 06:18 PM
Find
TheGreatCthulhu Offline

(01-07-2013, 06:18 PM)str4wberrypanic Wrote: Oh, now it makes sense, but it's so... impractical to use Primitives to make walls.

Well, it depends. On one hand, plane-based surfaces don't require external mesh files, so the custom story / full conversion saves a bit on memory; also, since you can have planes of arbitrary dimensions, you can just use one plane in place of a row of 10 or so static wall-objects (you just need to adjust the texture tiling accordingly).
On the other hand, planes can, of course, only be perfectly flat, so if you want your walls to have features which require 3D geometry extending from or into the plane of the wall (like a lot of walls in amnesia itself), primitive planes can't support that.
(This post was last modified: 01-07-2013, 07:13 PM by TheGreatCthulhu.)
01-07-2013, 07:13 PM
Find