Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
FULL RELEASE: Eternium - Prologue. [IFC]
No Author Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 10
RE: FULL RELEASE: Eternium - Prologue. [IFC]

(02-02-2013, 12:38 PM)CorinthianMerchant Wrote:
(02-02-2013, 06:55 AM)No Author Wrote:
(02-01-2013, 06:16 PM)CorinthianMerchant Wrote:
(02-01-2013, 05:34 PM)Robosprog Wrote: Make a lubricant in the level next to cellars door.

Then meet the monster in the bedroom... Wink

Wait, what ?
Why do we need to go to the bedroom ?
I can only assume that you never went through sex education, and thus is too young to play Amnesia in the first place...

There's no such thing as "too young" for me. Well, if it doesn't related to sex.

[Image: the-cabin-in-the-woods-masked-people.jpg]
02-02-2013, 03:20 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34
Review by Martinnord :D

Spoiler below!

Im stuck in the third level and my "suitorphobia" is keeping me from thinking clearly, the fact that the suitor music is constantly playing(glitch?or intended?) makes it even harder to think.I got a key for the mines and I also got a hint at some door that I had to trap a monster?.
My review is based on what I played.

The Wine Cellar-ish level

The beginning could have been done better, it's very sudden that you are thrown into it, and from what I have been playing there seems to be no clear explanation to who you are or how the fuck you ended up here. is the player having amnesia? I dunno anything but that I happen to be in some sort of wine cellar.
Original Amnesia both had an intro, giving you some basic information on Daniel, and a little later you encounter a note from your past self, giving you a clear objective and some basic knowledge on what the fuck is going on:..... well you are having amnesia my friend and you must kill an old guy.

I think the spade puzzle is a little hard considering it's the very first room in the story. Players subconsciously think that the spade is not puzzle related because it's the kind of object you can grab, the fact that the spade is well hidden in a corner does not really help. Maybe you should put the spade a little more out in the open. You could also add a memento when trying to open the door that says something like "I need to break this door open somehow" or if that's to revealing just write "I need to somehow open this door". Then you will at least be stating to the player that its about the door, avoiding having players jumping around on the wine barrels looking for another way out.

From here until the suitor encounter theres not much that pops to my mind other then the odd dagger in meat thing. I make my way to the first encounter and once I hear the door banging I start walking backwards
, I hide in a corner and once the suitor has passed I sneak my way to the room which he came from. Here I find lots of oil and stuff If I remember correctly, and considering how much you got in the first room I cant help but feel that this is a little too much, and from what I have played it seems to continue. I hear that the music has stopped so I go back to find a way out and succed my breaking the door open with my hands I believe

Mansion Level

The first thing I think when I enter the mansion level is...

WHY THE FUCK DO I HAVE TO STARE AT THIS UGLY WALL
http://i.imgur.com/mQsfRX6.jpg
When I can stare at this pretty corridor?
http://i.imgur.com/gM74b9E.jpg
just remove that pointless room......

So I move on and my first impression of this map is pretty nice it has a nice corridor and I like this room to http://i.imgur.com/dxdu67p.jpg.
But from there it kinda goes down. Most rooms I find are kinda empty and lack detail in most areas, and the fact that most of the map is lit by a dull boxlight does not really help. The statues/armors provide some nice creepy tension when starting the level but the way they are all over the place results in you getting used to them pretty quick. Theres not that many scares in the level either, though I liked the one were you would hear a monster sound if you tried to go back.

As I went I took some pictures:
http://i.imgur.com/mT7mbz0.jpg
Why is this in here?
http://i.imgur.com/JJ6Xzk3.jpg
Lots of closets eh?I dunno if this can be stated as realistick for a room though I understand it was meant to make the player nervous. I guess it could make sence as a dressing room but then why would the statue be in there?
http://i.imgur.com/j4h1EZF.jpg
Y U NO STOP ICONS SHOWING!!??
http://i.imgur.com/f81m9cQ.jpg
I dont understand why this room had to a seperate level, or why theres a pig in here.
http://i.imgur.com/d2XxXQg.jpg
ever heard designing a house in a practical way?
http://i.imgur.com/JGdvUx4.jpg
One thing I really like is when you are able to see a place at which you have already been from another angle later in the game. Smile
http://i.imgur.com/SIkdNO2.jpg
Theres a hole in the roof....but the floor is clean Winkno debris no dust...
http://i.imgur.com/RPGFOrz.jpg
put some stuff in your closets mate!

The Cellar level
When I enter the cellar level I think...seriusly this was behind that door?.
You gotta remember to make proper transitions robo, imagine if the door stood open.
The lighting in the first room is nice but when you get downstairs you end up returning to the bland boxlight. It's nice to see how you achieve an unique look with planes, but that effort is put to waste by how empty everything is.
I do find this to be the scariest level though as I dont feel safe about going forward or back most of the time. mainly because of how many encounters the level has.
I noticed a couple glitches as well:
The lubricant is still there http://i.imgur.com/OUwSl4M.jpg
Also 2 of the encounters that are triggered by going to a location will repeat themselfes if you go back after escaping.

Verdict:
The Visuals are mostly bland, but theres a lot of places were they shine as well and I can you try your best to get unique environments despite the limitations of amnesia's assets. Levels feel very seperated and the layouts dont always make so much sence unfortunately. when it comes to scares there could have been much more on the non monster side of things, though you do make some good use of monsters in the cellar level.
I dont really feel sure about commenting on the story since I havent finished it, but It did not excite me that much of what I had played and overall I felt a good lack of purpose.

Score: 6.4/10

How can you improve?:
1. add more detail/stuff in your rooms
2. make sure to introduce things, even if on the most basic level. and give the player a little purpose
3. USE MEMENTOS!!!
4. Use more minor scares and events, simple stuff like fx a wind blowing
or a sound.
5. Keep in mind when you design your levels, that the places had other uses then being the set of your amnesia mod.
6. Use more hints in your maps, not just simple text but indirect hints through the environment and such as well.
7. Make sure you design your levels not just with that one level in mind, but also how it relates to the others. and make some proper transitions between them.

Oh and let me end it with this picture
[Image: QVY9aAY.jpg]
this is what I get for not checking for misspellings Sad

02-17-2013, 05:00 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

Hey just wanna state that 6.4 is not really a bad rating, as I would consider original amnesia a little above a 9.
Also my favorite cup is now my avatar :D
02-17-2013, 11:27 PM
Find
DnALANGE Offline
Banned

Threads: 73

very poor mapping\scripting...
No notes]quest added...??
people don't know what to do anywhere like this whatsoever...
bad lightings\like 5 leveldoors don't say\just closed...
Mapping is very badly made.. mostly extremely empty rooms..
what i dont understand at all is :
no clues on the actual gameplay but stupid lame text like : this table is clean??? who cares?!
we all need some small info about what we have to do and where to go etc etc...
i am stuck now at the part where the key is stuck in the level door... no info no note no quest??
That WHOLE hallway is stacked with chairs\boxes\ornaments\statues\broekn pots etc...
there is no clue or hint what to do there...
You are blaming MY full conversion about all stuff... and gave mine a 3...
what should I give THIS then.. Fully Isolated LOL.....
a 3 is MAX what you get from this now and i am just in map 2 i guess...
man... Robo.. you must have more respect for other custom story builders especially those who build Full Conversion mods and building over 10 months almost alone!
Just saying this...
I am will continue this if you help us out a bit more with clues or help..
Gave another rate later maybe... but this is just sad atm.. i'm sorry
02-21-2013, 10:19 AM
Find
No Author Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 10

(02-21-2013, 10:19 AM)dnalange Wrote: very poor mapping\scripting...
No notes]quest added...??
people don't know what to do anywhere like this whatsoever...
bad lightings\like 5 leveldoors don't say\just closed...
Mapping is very badly made.. mostly extremely empty rooms..
what i dont understand at all is :
no clues on the actual gameplay but stupid lame text like : this table is clean??? who cares?!
we all need some small info about what we have to do and where to go etc etc...
i am stuck now at the part where the key is stuck in the level door... no info no note no quest??
That WHOLE hallway is stacked with chairs\boxes\ornaments\statues\broekn pots etc...

Gotta agree with the quest stuff and the map.
But this is your first FC (right ?), so that's normal for me.

[Image: the-cabin-in-the-woods-masked-people.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 02-21-2013, 10:37 AM by No Author.)
02-21-2013, 10:34 AM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

All i have to say is....
In the first screenshot, the billboard is too blue. Make it darker.

@dnalange
Either you're right, or if you didn't pay attention, because in the screenshots, there's one. And some people actually cares if the table or chair is clean.
SCENARIO
A Mess Hall in the Prison Cells, used for prisoners to eat and drink. There's one table, alone, which is cleaned.
/SCENARIO
This will gave the player to think, "Why is this table very clean? Although all of them is very dirty."
It justs gave them mystery...

And i didn't played this for various reasons. I just see the screenshots and tell you what is wrong.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
02-21-2013, 10:38 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

Still bugs me that people use that whole "first mod" excuse to justify poor quality. I'm guessing Lange is probs just being buttmad though since you didn't like his mod and so he's going to say it's shitty regardless of how good it is, since all the videos/screenshots I've seen of it are pretty high quality.

Gonna give it a run in a bit though probably to see how it is so, I'll judge it for myself.

Posting Freak
02-21-2013, 10:48 AM
Website Find
DnALANGE Offline
Banned

Nonooo..
i am okay with all critism.. just dont give ppl a 3 when NOT played.. that the only thing i pointerd out on my fc-threath..
this is just very poor..
Go check it out and don't ber a a** cause you are a friend of robo for saying this is good!
cause this is just NOT..
it might be if all those things will be fixed...
back here IF i can finish this.. need to clean my table atm ^^ LOL
02-21-2013, 11:06 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

Actually I thought this looked like a high quality project before I had even talked to Robo personally but whatever.

Posting Freak
02-21-2013, 11:16 AM
Website Find
DnALANGE Offline
Banned

(02-21-2013, 11:16 AM)Kman Wrote: Actually I thought this looked like a high quality project before I had even talked to Robo personally but whatever.

thats WHY I say DON´T BE AN A**
Be hounest!
02-21-2013, 11:25 AM
Find