Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flashlight
quicksilver89 Offline

Threads: 4
Flashlight

Dear people,

I've been working on a custom story, and wanted to use a flashlight. Now I've seen flashlight models like the one used in White Night (which was great btw), but I want a cleaner feel to it for the story. I'm thinking more like how the flashlight was used in Dear Esther. Is it possible to activate a light that is similar to the one used in Dear Esther? To clarify myself, I've linked a video of Dear Esther to show you what I mean:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mZ4tozfQw0

Ideally, I would have the flashlight Icon in my inventory, and when clicked or when pressing a key the flashlight could be turned on or off... This way there is no flashlight model/animation needed where a hand with a flashlight appears...

Any tips/advice?

In Ruins (Mod DB)
01-15-2013, 03:55 PM
Find
Adrianis Offline

Threads: 6
RE: Flashlight

It can be done, but not with a custom story, you will need to make a full conversion in order to change the player's lantern model, sadly. Not sure if there is a way of doing it without changing that basic lantern

Check out this thread for instructions on how to make it an FC
http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-11120.html
but make sure you want to have a flashlight badly enough, making CS's is a good deal simpler than FC's. At least with an FC you can tie it to the F key like the lantern, rather than having to go into the inventory to turn it on/off

01-15-2013, 06:03 PM
Find
quicksilver89 Offline

Hmmm that's a pity... Lantern doesn't fit this story, and I'm not sure if this can be played without any source of light... Thanks for the response thoughSmile I'll update this with my findingsWink!

In Ruins (Mod DB)
01-15-2013, 07:03 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

You can replace the hand and lantern with "fake models" which are invisible and then simply bind those to a spotlight which shines much as the flashlight in Dear Esther.

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

01-15-2013, 07:12 PM
Find
quicksilver89 Offline

Would it mean that other people playing would have to change anything in the original game folders? Or will this be a solution for a ful conversion? And how would that go?

If this is possible without using a full conversion it would be exactly what I would be looking for...
Else, I think I would have to consider making this a full conversion..

In Ruins (Mod DB)
(This post was last modified: 01-15-2013, 07:35 PM by quicksilver89.)
01-15-2013, 07:33 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

No, a full conversion means that Amnesia is runned with a different configuration. You have the .cfg (configuration) files, and then you change them. You tell the game (with a different launcher) to use those .cfg. Then, you can change game settings (dark vision, for example).

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
01-15-2013, 07:36 PM
Find
quicksilver89 Offline

Ok, so no way of doing this without a full conversion I understand?
btw, I have added the mod to moddb to show of some of the ideas and leveldesign. Advice is always welcomeWink!
http://www.moddb.com/mods/in-ruins-working-title

In Ruins (Mod DB)
(This post was last modified: 01-16-2013, 05:35 PM by quicksilver89.)
01-16-2013, 04:10 PM
Find