Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Work in progress Custom Story: Pinnacle of Evolution (DEMO IS UP)
Bronzedragon316 Offline

Threads: 5
Custom Story: Pinnacle of Evolution (DEMO IS UP)

Hello, for people who remember me I made a thread about making a Custom Monster. I want to thank everybody who gave me their opinions. Except that guy about the train, I like trains too but, well you know

Anyway Unfortunately I will either leave the monster until after/near the end of my story or not at all. My last friend who was helping me out left so I'm on my own and I don't have the time to make a monster, I also lack the experience with Animating. Thanks to those that helped but for now I'm shelving the monster.

It's coming slower that I hoped because of the guys who left. I'm a noob when it comes to the HPL and map making in general so sorry if I seem ignorant when it comes to map making.

DEMO IS UP
http://www.mediafire.com/?9ytwil9sj4cbq48
I'd love to hear what you think about it so far. Any type of feedback is helpful

So far, i've gone pretty smoothly. when there was a problem I was able to fix it.

This time I've encountered a big problem. I wanted to create my own floor textures (walls too, but that'll come after I figure out the floors) but there's a problem. I create a primitive to use as my floor and I attach the texture to it. in the map editor it shows the floor perfectly but when I load the game the floor is not the new texture but the old floor amnesia floor texture (which is weird considering I deleted that floor)

this is the first real roadblock I have and any help would be appreciated.

anybody who also wants to discuss my map idea (story, etc.) I would love to hear what you think, even if you hate it I would like a critical response and not a "dis map suks, u shuld die" thing.
(This post was last modified: 02-04-2013, 05:20 AM by Bronzedragon316.)
01-19-2013, 04:10 AM
Find
NaxEla Offline

RE: Custom Story: Pinnacle of Evolution (Work in Progress)

(01-19-2013, 04:10 AM)Bronzedragon316 Wrote: This time I've encountered a big problem. I wanted to create my own floor textures (walls too, but that'll come after I figure out the floors) but there's a problem. I create a primitive to use as my floor and I attach the texture to it. in the map editor it shows the floor perfectly but when I load the game the floor is not the new texture but the old floor amnesia floor texture (which is weird considering I deleted that floor)

this is the first real roadblock I have and any help would be appreciated.

In your maps folder, delete any .map_cache files that exist. After that, run the level again.

In Ruins [WIP]
01-19-2013, 07:25 AM
Find
Bronzedragon316 Offline

Thank you NaxEla, solved that problem.

Now that I got my textures working (and now I know how to do them pretty quickly) I'm going through my maps replacing the floors where I need. I;m wondering if I should do my own walls as well. if the Amnesia walls fit the floor then I might not bother but if they don't really fit I'll find one that does.

[Image: Wall_Floor_test.png]
(This post was last modified: 01-20-2013, 12:18 AM by Bronzedragon316.)
01-19-2013, 08:42 AM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

It fits, don't worry Wink

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
01-19-2013, 11:30 AM
Find
Bronzedragon316 Offline

Alright that saves me time of finding a good wall texture.

I need a bit of advice, for my map I want it to be scary (obviously) but I don't want it to be another map full of 100 teleporting naked guys. I want to give it that aura that older games like RE had (wondering whats around the corner, etc) I've been trying to script the monster to appear at places you wouldn't expect and make rooms darker. even lit rooms have dark corners. What other things could add to that atmosphere?
01-19-2013, 07:15 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

In development articles you will find a lot of things that can improve your story. These are some good threads:

http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-12665.html
http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-10107.html

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)

Aculy iz dolan.
01-19-2013, 07:30 PM
Find
Bronzedragon316 Offline

I've read through those a couple of times, especially the story parts. I'm trying to make my story detailed and interesting but until I get a small "demo" out I'll never know how other's think. I'm working on releasing a small demo on my first three area's but I just need one thing.

How do I make a script repeat itself? for instance. In one part of my story, you walk into a hallway and i've scripted a monster to appear behind a door and have it chase you. problem is, if you die the script doesn't happen again and I would like it to. is it a simple button click on the level editor or is it another sequence of codes in the script?
01-19-2013, 07:40 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Assuming that it is an AddEntityCollideCallback, just:

AddEntityCollideCallback("Player", "Area", "Monster", false, 1);

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)

Aculy iz dolan.
01-19-2013, 07:46 PM
Find
Bronzedragon316 Offline

Thank you, worked perfectly
01-19-2013, 07:56 PM
Find
Bronzedragon316 Offline

I want to replace my roof with my own texture. I found one that looked like it would work, but I'm wondering if it looks..."Cartoony" I guess would be the word

[Image: Roof_Tes.png]
01-20-2013, 12:16 AM
Find