Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problems getting static objects to work.
Tesseract Offline

Threads: 7
Problems getting static objects to work.

My brother made me a custom wall that we've been trying to put into the engine. I textured it and saved the texture as a .MAT file, I also saved the static object as a .ENT file too, I edited and saved it in the model editor.

I have scaled it down to the correct sizes and it shows textures and everything in the model editor. When I open the object up in the level editor I cannot see it, it's a wire mesh; no textures at all. Has anyone ever had this problem and managed to circumvent it?
01-20-2013, 08:29 AM
Find
Tesseract Offline

RE: Problems getting static objects to work.

Interesting.
Nobody has managed to figure out this problem, or hppened to run into it for that matter.
01-20-2013, 11:32 AM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

Rather confusing and unprecise to be honest.
you dont even mention what software the model was created in. Also what do you mean you saved the texture as a MAT. file? you did not just change the extension did you?.

Well when exporting make sure the texture is applied to your model inside the software you export from. because the collada file itself is what points to the texture, and the texture is also what points to the mat file. A mat file (and a mesh) should also be created automatically when you open your model in the model viewer if it was exported proberly that is.

Also make sure that your texture is stored in the right place when you export, otherwise you will have to open the collada with fx notepad++, and change the adress of the picture manually.
01-20-2013, 11:58 AM
Find
Tesseract Offline

Well let me explain in more detail then. The model was made in 3DS MAX. I am familiar with texturing so no I did not just change the extension, after making the texture I saved it as a .DDS then I took it to the material editor gave it everything it needs; normal's, specs etc... then I opened the model in the model editor and applied the textures scaled it down to the appropriate size and saved it, the model editor saved it to the format the level engine can read. Now when I open the the model up in the level editor it does not show the work I did to it in the model editor, it's not to the scale I set it as and it also has no textures, shall I post a couple of screen shots so you can see what I mean?

I'll send some screens anyway.
http://i.imgur.com/v3J91WO.png
http://i.imgur.com/sQ6NzY1.png
(This post was last modified: 01-20-2013, 12:42 PM by Tesseract.)
01-20-2013, 12:25 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

You say it's a static_object, right? Walls aren't ent, they are just .dae. You don't need anything of the model editor to get the wall to work, it must be something with 3DS Max (and unfortunately I don't know a single s**t about it).

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
01-20-2013, 12:44 PM
Find
Tesseract Offline

Yes it is a static object, but don't you need to put it through the model editor for it to recognize the textures and scales you give it?
My brother said it must have something to do with the engine not liking 3DS MAX.
01-20-2013, 12:50 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

No you must not use the HPL2 editors to apply the texture at all. you must apply them in 3ds max.
then open your exported collada with the modelviewer and it will automatically create a mat. file named the same as your texture. then you simply open the newly created mat. file with the material editor if you want to add normal maps.

EDIT: also many of the original amnesia models were created with 3ds max so it should support it.
(This post was last modified: 01-20-2013, 12:58 PM by WALP.)
01-20-2013, 12:54 PM
Find
Tesseract Offline

Okay, I'll try this out, thanks for the help, I'll report back as to whether I was successful or not.
01-20-2013, 12:59 PM
Find
TheGreatCthulhu Offline

Threads: 10

Basically, IIRC, the engine uses the exported COLLADA file (DAE) to look for the local paths of the texture files, and then, using a naming convention, looks for the corresponding .mat file (so, it just assumes a specific name for the mat file, rather then actually storing its path). This is why it's best to let the model viewer create it for you.
01-20-2013, 02:05 PM
Find
Tesseract Offline

It was a success, cheers for the help.
01-21-2013, 04:28 AM
Find