Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Multiple Issues Help Outdoor Area
quicksilver89 Offline

Threads: 4
Outdoor Area

Dear people,

I've read and seen some of the outdoor area tutorials. For the intro of my custom story, I wanted to go for an outside area just like this beautiful one: http://www.moddb.com/mods/hidden/images/...4#imagebox

Now I wanted to use the zimmermann ground, but the box around it is a pain in the ass. Now I wanted to change this, but I can't open the models in Maya because OpenCollada only supports the 2008-2011 version, and I have Maya 2013. Is there any way someone could help me out with this, or perhaps suggest a way to either edit the model, or work around this problem to create a similar look to the screenshot above?

The Mod it's for: http://www.moddb.com/mods/in-ruins-working-title

Thanks!

In Ruins (Mod DB)
01-21-2013, 12:23 PM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145
RE: Outdoor Area

Play play play!

You can use a lot of entities to make a nice outdoor area.

Trees, fog, skybox, grass, planes.

The zimmerman ground is very dark. It doesn't match if you want to make a light and beautiful area.

Trying is the first step to success.
01-21-2013, 12:38 PM
Find
quicksilver89 Offline

(01-21-2013, 12:38 PM)BeeKayK Wrote: Play play play!

You can use a lot of entities to make a nice outdoor area.

Trees, fog, skybox, grass, planes.

The zimmerman ground is very dark. It doesn't match if you want to make a light and beautiful area.

I can't find any suitable textures... would that mean I'm stuck with the dirt-mould-pilesTongue?

In Ruins (Mod DB)
01-21-2013, 12:50 PM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

I can't help with removing the border, but as for outdoor level design, here are a few things that might help:
http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-13619.html
(was gonna put Statyk's tree here but he's a perfectionist slut so he removed the download)

Other than using multiple tree models (seriously do this, it will improve your map tenfold), just have a lot of randomness in your placement of entities and and the size and shape of them and such. the "random size/rotation" function helps a lot in this situation and will add a lot of randomness. Really though just use everything you can, rocks, dirt mounds, plants, trees (obviously), grass, and use them all very very often and bunched together.

Also by dirt mound we mean the models "static_objects/cellarbase/dirt_pile" and "static_objects/dungeonbase/dirt_mould_pile"

Posting Freak
01-21-2013, 01:05 PM
Website Find
Posting Freak

There is a texture for planes, in the folder "Outside"

01-21-2013, 01:05 PM
Find
quicksilver89 Offline

(01-21-2013, 01:05 PM)BeeKayK Wrote: There is a texture for planes, in the folder "Outside"

There are 2 textures there, one transparant one named sand, and the default zimmermann one.. I've used the dirt mould pile as a texture now as wel. If I cover it up with some green, I think it might even look good...Wink

What particle system would you recommend for clouds (want something slightly moving in front of the skybox). Btw, where can you get quality skyboxes for free? I have one that is slightly pixelated (don't know if it's actually going to be very noticable in game yet...)

Attached Files
.jpg   Capture.JPG (Size: 96.3 KB / Downloads: 107)

In Ruins (Mod DB)
01-21-2013, 01:14 PM
Find
Posting Freak

Search button!

http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-18820.html

01-21-2013, 01:27 PM
Find
quicksilver89 Offline

(01-21-2013, 01:05 PM)Kman Wrote: I can't help with removing the border, but as for outdoor level design, here are a few things that might help:
http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-13619.html
(was gonna put Statyk's tree here but he's a perfectionist slut so he removed the download)

Other than using multiple tree models (seriously do this, it will improve your map tenfold), just have a lot of randomness in your placement of entities and and the size and shape of them and such. the "random size/rotation" function helps a lot in this situation and will add a lot of randomness. Really though just use everything you can, rocks, dirt mounds, plants, trees (obviously), grass, and use them all very very often and bunched together.

Also by dirt mound we mean the models "static_objects/cellarbase/dirt_pile" and "static_objects/dungeonbase/dirt_mould_pile"

I've been looking for some tree models, but they are hard to come by.. Found traggeys models but I only liked the trees in the screenshot of his post, which are not included in the zip... Doing nature very randomly to make it look more realistic indeedWink

In Ruins (Mod DB)
01-21-2013, 02:16 PM
Find
Posting Freak

Nature isn't always just random.

Nature usually goes towards water, and when there isn't much water to find, some plants are surviving better than others.

01-21-2013, 02:18 PM
Find
quicksilver89 Offline

I meant this sizes and rotation of grass, shrubs, rocks etc...
I've now used tree[d] to make a tree, but I can't find how to get these in the editor.. I can make it an .obj, .x or a .B3D... How can I get these in amnesia as a static model, or is there anyone out there who can convert these for me with some software?

In Ruins (Mod DB)
01-21-2013, 02:39 PM
Find