Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

"The most exciting RPG games you've ever played"-thread
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34
RE: "The most exciting RPG games you've ever played"-thread

Ha! Yeah, I have the old disks for World of Xeen lying around here somewhere, I think it's time to pop them in and start playing them again. Tongue

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
02-07-2013, 01:24 AM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79

Are "Custom RPG Mods/Maps" allowed? Their are two from SC1 and War3 that I loved.

SC1 - "A Hero's Path"
Warcraft 3 - "The Chosen Ones"
02-07-2013, 01:30 AM
Find
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 176

(02-07-2013, 01:09 AM)nackidno Wrote: I honestly think JRPGs are really really bad. Mainly because they most of the time (with a very VERY few exceptions) are streamlined, linear, one-button mashing fests that take you an average of 50 hours to complete, which is astoundingly long and dragged out for a game of such nature, I haven't played one whole JRPG (except FF2, mainly because of the character development) because they are tedious and the storytelling is more complex than the story itself really is, which is typical for Japanese narration as far as I'm concerned, and I'm not a huge fan of it.

I feel the game is patronizing me when it explains every single detail about things that I can perfectly comprehend on my own without a stupid narrator to tell me that the guy on the screen used his fist to physically hurt another guy by moving it in a fashion that involves speed and force (damn it's getting onto me) to inflict damage to the said guys torso.

Oh and not to mention the grindfest, don't get me started on that, JRPGs involve more grinding than any MMO combined twice, and that's not all, in JRPGs you MUST grind to progress, in MMOs, at least you can progress in a steady pace and only to get the little extra (like better stuff for your guy), you must grind, but not to actually progress in the game storyline, see where I'm going with this?

I could go on about how much I despise JRPGs but I think I've ranted enough for tonight lol xD
You are probably looking at the wrong games. The only "streamlined, linear, one-button mashing fests" JRPG I've played was Final Fantasy XIII, which even the majority of the FF fanbase said was shit (with the exceptions of SE diehards). Better JRPGs, such as the Chrono Trigger / Cross games or earlier FFs require a significant amount of strategy and provide many options for customization, and they most certainly do not require 50 hours of gameplay to complete. I also don't find lengthy storytelling to be a problem if the plot has depth and the characters are relatable and well developed. The best example I can think of is FFVI, which was an absolute astounding game when it came to amazing characters and story.

Patronizing the player is a thing with current gen JRPGs. That's why I say modern JRPGs have become terrible.

I've also never, ever had to grind in JRPGs before except for the very old games made in the late 1980's. I have no idea why you think that JRPGs require a ton of grinding. In fact, most current gen JRPGs are almost pathetically easy. The one notable exception I can think of is Eternal Sonata, which had very difficult bosses. Good JRPGs usually provide lots of creative and innovative ways to defeat bosses if they are particularly difficult, and I have no problem with a game making you think, since, well, that's an incentive to keep playing.

That said, I also enjoy many western RPGs, particularly the Heroes of Might and Magic series. HOMMIV was my favourite because it had fantastic campaigns and extremely deep stories, but I also liked HOMMIII for its challenge since some of its campaigns were harshly difficult. I haven't played many MMO RPGs, though.

The one problem I have with lots of western RPGs is that they very frequently incorporate themes, mythologies, settings, characters, and plot models from the very overused Tolkien and D&D. I'm talking about elves, dwarves, dragons, knights, castles, wizards, etc. JRPGs, being from the other side of the world, usually incorporate new and interesting cultural takes on the fantasy setting. Yes, many JRPGs do also have knights and wizards and dragons and the like, but the good games like Chrono Trigger or FFVI invent their own mythologies and create fascinating worlds for the player to explore. Then there are JRPGs like Eternal Sonata with worlds that are so over-the-top ridiculous yet still entertaining to play because you've just never seen such ideas before. I enjoy this type of innovation. It's just that JRPGs have indeed gone to shit lately, especially Square Enix, because of how greatly they patronize the player and are unable to keep my attention with a well developed plot and characters.

If you want to play some good JRPGs, I highly recommend FFVI, which I would consider to be an objectively good game. I have not met a single person IRL who dislikes it.

[Image: p229xcq]
02-07-2013, 01:44 AM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

I've occassonally played JRPGs since the mid 90's and all memories from those games have been tedious dialogues without player input and grinding to beat the next boss because you are too wimpy when you get there. Even grinding one lvl (15min) is a sin in my book.

I've played FF6, and I really don't like it.

Are you refering to M&M 4 and 3 perhaps? Heroes is the strategy game branch of the franchise and are not RPGs.

(This post was last modified: 02-07-2013, 01:59 AM by eliasfrost.)
02-07-2013, 01:58 AM
Find
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 176

Ooops. I am talking about the strategy game Heroes of Might and Magic. Bad example, then.

[Image: p229xcq]
02-07-2013, 02:04 AM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

What I like in RPGs is:
  • Player-dictated character development, from looks to attributes and skills, and what order I want them to progress
  • Meaningful player input, such as branching dialogue that have meaning for the story and plot
  • Non-linear gameplay, side quests, the ability to put the main objective on halt for a sec and go create my own storyline within the world without constantly being reminded that I need to go kill the big bad guy.
  • Make the game react to my decisions, like my companions and how they feel about me, and how the world will shape by my actions.

Those are the criteria that makes an RPG for me, and JRPGs certainly don't apply to even half of those points, again these are my preferences. So the conclusion would be that JRPGs are too strict and hold the players hand throughout the game, not by making it easy, but guidance through the story and how it unfolds in strictly one way. For me, JRPGs are nothing more than Adventure games with brief RPG elements, much like how Bioshock is an FPS with brief RPG elements, not full fledged RPGs. Funny thing is that the initial idea about JRPGs was to create a streamlined one button presser for the early consoles, not to create a solid RPG experience (actual roleplaying, hence the name).

(This post was last modified: 02-07-2013, 02:18 AM by eliasfrost.)
02-07-2013, 02:14 AM
Find
crisosphinx Offline

Threads: 5

(02-07-2013, 02:14 AM)nackidno Wrote: What I like in RPGs is:
  • Player-dictated character development, from looks to attributes and skills, and what order I want them to progress
  • Meaningful player input, such as branching dialogue that have meaning for the story and plot
  • Non-linear gameplay, side quests, the ability to put the main objective on halt for a sec and go create my own storyline within the world without constantly being reminded that I need to go kill the big bad guy.
  • Make the game react to my decisions, like my companions and how they feel about me, and how the world will shape by my actions.

Those are the criteria that makes an RPG for me, and JRPGs certainly don't apply to even half of those points, again these are my preferences. So the conclusion would be that JRPGs are too strict and hold the players hand throughout the game, not by making it easy, but guidance through the story and how it unfolds in strictly one way. For me, JRPGs are nothing more than Adventure games with brief RPG elements, not full fledged RPGs. Funny thing is that the initial idea about JRPGs was to create a streamlined one button presser for the early consoles, not to create a solid RPG experience (actual roleplaying, hence the name).

Which is why Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross are so good. More RPG, less action. Some American RPG's are too open and force you to wander aimlessly and offer brief, terrible endings to games (Fallout 3 specifically, Elderscrolls series, Borderlands series, etc.).

But both sides and ups and downs. Too open, too closed, too linear, too focused on graphics, etc. Smile

90% of RPGs are fucking amazing, regardless of nationality. However, I have to disagree with you saying that JRPGs are not real RPGs. The J stands for Japanese. It's like saying horror FPS and action FPS. They are still both Shooters.

Animation and Rig questions -> crisosphinx@yahoo.com

3D Generalist. Notable work on FG Forums - The Great Work, Five Magics and Cowards Debt.
(This post was last modified: 02-07-2013, 02:25 AM by crisosphinx.)
02-07-2013, 02:23 AM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

The last Elderscrolls game that I would consider true RPG by my standards would be Morrowind, and New Vegas is miles ahead of FO3, you might want to give it a shot.

You're right there are bad and good titles from both side, but that doesn't neglect the differences between the two genres, namely the difference in linearity, character development and open-endedness that is extremely large between RPGs and JRPGs.

Except JRPG is an established genre and have been since the 1980's, and the absence of actuall RPG elements (I'm talking real RPG, P&P here, I'm a nerd) makes me question whether JRPGs are actual RPGs or Adventure games with numbers.

Don't get me wrong, I think JRPGs are great for what it is (just look at it's popularity, it's by no means bad objectively) I just don't like them and I don't think they are RPGs by the real meaning of the word RPG, it's to create your own role in a world that is given to you, not to be given a role, because that's a whole different thing. I'm not bashing JRPGs as a genre, I'm bashing it as RPG.

(This post was last modified: 02-07-2013, 02:50 AM by eliasfrost.)
02-07-2013, 02:45 AM
Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

Arkham Horror is fun for me. If you're playing with people who actual give a shit.
02-07-2013, 02:51 AM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

(02-07-2013, 02:51 AM)failedALIAS Wrote: Arkham Horror is fun for me. If you're playing with people who actual give a shit.

I've seen it a few times in my local games shop (they recently started to buy in board and P&P games) but I've never really thought about it, is it worth getting?

02-07-2013, 02:56 AM
Find