Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Jump-scares: What's your opinion?
ShiningBlader Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Jump-scares: What's your opinion?

Cheapscares just ruin everything and however had the idea of making a teleporting/flying naked guy with that lovely Iron maiden's scream should be slapped again and again and again...

I hate how "The things in the Night", the longest CS out there and also a good one, was ruined by those teleporting screaming naked guys/grunts etc...

Jumpscares that make no sense at all -cheapscares- just ruin all the potential of the CSs and I hate them for that. Not only "the things in the night" but another CS called castle of eberfield was also ruined by many Pewdiepie's references (hate them as well). Without them, it would be a solid CS
02-11-2013, 11:38 AM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

I think we can agree on one thing here.
"It all starts with a PewDiePie video."
Without him, these cheap jumpscares won't be here today!

No flame wars are intended and i hope it will be that way.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
02-11-2013, 02:15 PM
Find
Nice Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 37

it all depends on how they are put in the game. Does it make sense that it appeared to you and vanished in that moment and at that location ?

it also depends on how many there are.

There's a difference between being frustrated and being scared.

Sorry but we cannot change your avatar as the new avatar you specified is too big. The maximum dimensions are 80x80 (width x height)
02-11-2013, 02:34 PM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

(02-11-2013, 02:15 PM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: I think we can agree on one thing here.

Yes they would... But the amount could've been smaller Smile
(Not flaming, just stating)

PewDiePie is popular, and since some jumpscare map got played by him made people think it was good, which it isn't.
A simple mistake Smile

Trying is the first step to success.
02-11-2013, 02:43 PM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

(02-11-2013, 02:43 PM)BeeKayK Wrote:
(02-11-2013, 02:15 PM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: I think we can agree on one thing here.

Yes they would... But the amount could've been smaller Smile
(Not flaming, just stating)

PewDiePie is popular, and since some jumpscare map got played by him made people think it was good, which it isn't.
A simple mistake Smile
If PewDiePie never played the game, while Cry does, we would be discussing something different.
If i'm correct, pewdiepie fans will be blackmailing me right now.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
02-11-2013, 02:46 PM
Find
Nice Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 37

(02-11-2013, 02:46 PM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: If i'm correct, pewdiepie fans will be blackmailing me right now.

trust me, wont happen on this forum. There are hardly any "hardcore" pewdiepie fans.

Sorry but we cannot change your avatar as the new avatar you specified is too big. The maximum dimensions are 80x80 (width x height)
02-11-2013, 02:56 PM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

(02-11-2013, 02:56 PM)DogFood Wrote:
(02-11-2013, 02:46 PM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: If i'm correct, pewdiepie fans will be blackmailing me right now.

trust me, wont happen on this forum. There are hardly any "hardcore" pewdiepie fans.
Say that again when they are blackmailing you. Hell, i don't even like pewdiepie. I hope Cry plays my CS, not pewdiepie. Just like White Night.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
02-11-2013, 02:58 PM
Find
i3670 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 74

(02-11-2013, 02:56 PM)DogFood Wrote: trust me, wont happen on this forum. There are hardly any "hardcore" pewdiepie fans.

I'd consider myself a "hardcore" pewdie fan, not the type that goes around flaming about "X copies pewdie, you die now" but the more mature kind that only watches his videos.

And whilst on the subject of pewdiepie. There are two pewds. The old and the new. The new one is the guy screaming in girly voices, talking to statues/chair/barrels other inanimate objects. Then there's the older pewdie that played Amnesia and Penumbra and really immersed himself in the game.

I prefer the older.

And on the subject on jumpscares. Flying naked guys, bad. Build up - release, good.

"What you think is irrelevant" - A character of our time

A Christmas Hunt
02-11-2013, 04:18 PM
Find
GrAVit Offline

Threads: 15

I think Dead Space did jumpscares the best. They fit with the game's style and compensate for the fact that you use combat in that game. It's a terrifying game, with a great atmosphere and intriguing story.

(This post was last modified: 02-11-2013, 07:47 PM by GrAVit.)
02-11-2013, 07:46 PM
Find
rtjhbfvsrry Offline

Threads: 1

If supported by atmosphere and not just something random thrown into your face, I quite enjoy them in moderation. They are not inherently bad - like many things, it depends on how you use them.
02-11-2013, 09:03 PM
Find