Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Amnesia: Where did the Servants Come From
rtjhbfvsrry Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Amnesia: Where did the Servants Come From

Lepers are people who suffer from leprosy, a disease that can cause deformities (to put it simply) of which many sufferers throughout history have been exiled or have exiled themselves in groups.
02-15-2013, 12:52 PM
Find
sasaluvsamnesia7 Offline

Threads: 0

(02-15-2013, 05:00 AM)atilathegun Wrote:
(02-15-2013, 04:37 AM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: Alexander's servants are said to be soldiers who abandoned their duty and got lost in the woods during the Thirty Years war. From the beginning, Alexander's servants were already malformed when Daniel came in to Brennenburg. However, to hide their monstrous appearance, they use a cloak as said by Daniel in a diary or note: There's some servants who are skulking, and sneaking.

I thought about this, but I find it hard to believe Daniel could have lived in Brennenburg for any extended period of time and not notice that the servants were basically very mutilated, slightly more intelligent zombies.

Additionally, how did they know to attack Daniel after he took the amnesia potion? There's no sign Alexander communicates with the gatherers, they kinda just wander around the castle. And even if he does, it took a ways into the game, way after the first encounter with a servant if I remember, for Alexander to even realize what Daniel was doing (i.e. trying to kill him).

----

Actually, there is two moments in the dungeon when you'll hear Alexander communicating with the Grunts. He says, 'He escaped? Where is he now?' and 'Is he safe? Well, it's for his own good.' Towards the end when Daniel is dragged by a Grunt that throws him in a cell, Alexander then talks to Daniel. One note explains Daniel describing the servants as 'skulking,' as well as the note left by Agrippa calling Alexander's servants feather-brained, so I think they've been around and in Alexandria's control for a very long time, far before Daniel's arrival.
02-15-2013, 01:10 PM
Find
AdamD Offline

Threads: 7

(02-15-2013, 04:07 AM)atilathegun Wrote: Unfortunately, only a few of the servants have been remedied as the procedure proved difficult. The others will perish, and eventually I will have to create more of them to keep my experiments running.

Actually, I think it´s the poisonous fungus in the sewers what he´s meaning...

"Dreaming is easy. Waking up is hard..."
02-15-2013, 01:44 PM
Find
bluel0bster Offline

Threads: 11

(02-15-2013, 01:10 PM)sasaluvsamnesia7 Wrote:
(02-15-2013, 04:37 AM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: Alexander's servants are said to be soldiers who abandoned their duty and got lost in the woods during the Thirty Years war. From the beginning, Alexander's servants were already malformed when Daniel came in to Brennenburg. However, to hide their monstrous appearance, they use a cloak as said by Daniel in a diary or note: There's some servants who are skulking, and sneaking.

I thought about this, but I find it hard to believe Daniel could have lived in Brennenburg for any extended period of time and not notice that the servants were basically very mutilated, slightly more intelligent zombies.

Additionally, how did they know to attack Daniel after he took the amnesia potion? There's no sign Alexander communicates with the gatherers, they kinda just wander around the castle. And even if he does, it took a ways into the game, way after the first encounter with a servant if I remember, for Alexander to even realize what Daniel was doing (i.e. trying to kill him).

----

Actually, there is two moments in the dungeon when you'll hear Alexander communicating with the Grunts. He says, 'He escaped? Where is he now?' and 'Is he safe? Well, it's for his own good.' Towards the end when Daniel is dragged by a Grunt that throws him in a cell, Alexander then talks to Daniel. One note explains Daniel describing the servants as 'skulking,' as well as the note left by Agrippa calling Alexander's servants feather-brained, so I think they've been around and in Alexandria's control for a very long time, far before Daniel's arrival.

Huh, been a while since my last play through, didn't remember those bits.

(02-15-2013, 01:44 PM)AdamD Wrote:
(02-15-2013, 04:07 AM)atilathegun Wrote: Unfortunately, only a few of the servants have been remedied as the procedure proved difficult. The others will perish, and eventually I will have to create more of them to keep my experiments running.

I assumed it was talking about the servants, as the poisonous fungus didn't have anything to do with keeping Alexander's experiments running, but the antecedent of "them" is pretty vague so you could be right.

After reading the last short story from Remember (short story collection about other characters and their interactions with Brennenburg) I suppose the servants must have been around for quite some time before Daniel's arrival.

The story talks about Daniel's coachman Gabriel pursuing what is assumed to be a grunt which abducted a cat. The locals were apparently used to this, as the grunt was "one of those lost souls" who had been abducting animals (and presumably people?) every night for a long time before Daniel came to Brennenburg.
(This post was last modified: 02-15-2013, 05:44 PM by bluel0bster.)
02-15-2013, 05:42 PM
Find
AdamD Offline

(02-15-2013, 05:42 PM)atilathegun Wrote:
(02-15-2013, 01:10 PM)sasaluvsamnesia7 Wrote:

----

Huh, been a while since my last play through, didn't remember those bits.

(02-15-2013, 01:44 PM)AdamD Wrote:

I assumed it was talking about the servants, as the poisonous fungus didn't have anything to do with keeping Alexander's experiments running, but the antecedent of "them" is pretty vague so you could be right.

After reading the last short story from Remember (short story collection about other characters and their interactions with Brennenburg) I suppose the servants must have been around for quite some time before Daniel's arrival.

The story talks about Daniel's coachman Gabriel pursuing what is assumed to be a grunt which abducted a cat. The locals were apparently used to this, as the grunt was "one of those lost souls" who had been abducting animals (and presumably people?) every night for a long time before Daniel came to Brennenburg.

It does have a relation, because the energy for the castle came from the water... and if they weren´t able to work there, no water, no energy (for whatever machine/reason)

"Dreaming is easy. Waking up is hard..."
02-15-2013, 06:12 PM
Find
Diz Offline

Threads: 4

Warning! This post may contain spoilers.

(02-15-2013, 04:07 AM)atilathegun Wrote: I always understood this as being a one-time event that took place sometime between when Daniel took the amnesia potion and when Daniel wakes up at the beginning of the game.

I assumed this because it doesn't seemed probable that the servants were the same way we see them in the game as there's no way Daniel would have stayed in Brennenburg had the servants been as deformed as they are in their current state.

This makes a very interesting subject of speculation. I, too, started thinking that the horrible sounds and screaming were originating from Wilhelm and his men who were poisoned as mentioned in Alexander's note and lived through in Daniel's mysterious flashback.

However, I do believe I read a loading screen text which stated that Daniel noticed a strong scent of spicy wine coming from the servants around the time he first arrived at Brennenburg Castle, not to mention their silent and suspicious behaviour so it could be that they were camouflaged somehow. Also consider how much telepathic control Alexander seems to have over them. In the library, there is also a folklore that describes malformed creatures roaming the woods, hinting that the servants' appearance as we know them were not only a recent attribute.

(02-15-2013, 05:00 AM)atilathegun Wrote: Additionally, how did they know to attack Daniel after he took the amnesia potion? There's no sign Alexander communicates with the gatherers, they kinda just wander around the castle. And even if he does, it took a ways into the game, way after the first encounter with a servant if I remember, for Alexander to even realize what Daniel was doing (i.e. trying to kill him).

It took Alexander a while to figure out exactly what Daniel was doing, but he became suspicious even before the game takes place, thus he locked himself into the Inner Sanctum, as I believe is described in one of the loading screens. Daniel no longer appeared to be the same, and he could no longer be trusted. Whether or not the intention was to actually kill him at first might be harder to clarify, though you could hear Alexander asking the servants if Daniel was safe, and that something would be for his own good.

How they would know to attack Daniel could be a trained instinct of theirs. They were to bring prisoners in to Brennenburg Castle, and as seen in one of the pictures revealed before the game's release (I think), you can see a gatherer dragging an unconscious, if not dead, human body. What I think makes more sense, however, is that Alexander simply used his otherworldly abilities, or borrowed Power from the orb, to use telepathic communications, as you can pick up on later in the game. Also, when you are struck down and brought to a cell toward the end of the game, Alexander starts talking to you almost immediately after waking up as the servant goes away. This shows that Alexander is more or less controlling them, and perhaps the servant even communicated with Alexander, telling him that you are now awake.

Come to think of it, although Alexander states that he can hear Daniel breathing, he appears to know what he is doing at certain points, like "I cannot allow you to go any further", so it might be the gatherers are reporting to Alexander regarding your whereabouts.

This all might sound stupid, but this is a game that allows for heavy speculation, in my opinion. =)

Radidsh is my alternate name. Hungry for horror games? Check out my channel!
02-15-2013, 06:12 PM
Find
felixmole Offline

Another hypothesis: In the elevator machinery, there is a piece of Daniel's journal that reads (about people who knew about the orb): "How has this escaped to me? They're all dead. Limbs scattered, head split down the middle, their skin flayed as if boiled." Does this not remind you the brute?
(This post was last modified: 02-15-2013, 07:49 PM by felixmole.)
02-15-2013, 07:39 PM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

(02-15-2013, 07:39 PM)felixmole Wrote: Another hypothesis: In the elevator machinery, there is a piece of Daniel's journal that reads (about people who knew about the orb): "How has this escaped to me? They're all dead. Limbs scattered, head split down the middle, their skin flayed as if boiled." Does this not remind you the brute?

They were probably killed by either The Shadow, Alexander or The Servants (Controlled by Alexander) Wink

The servants would probably not boil those guys, since the don't know anything about cooking (according to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cpAu1uJfos )
It sounds like something supernatural killed them.

Trying is the first step to success.
02-15-2013, 08:06 PM
Find
rtjhbfvsrry Offline

Threads: 1

I did actually think of the Brute with that. It's one of the reasons I sometimes doubt whether anything in the game really happened or if it was just Daniel's insane way of dealing with his guilt.
02-15-2013, 09:29 PM
Find
Diz Offline

Threads: 4

I also thought of the brute on my second playthrough when I read that note. However, considering you do not get a glimpse of a brute until you reach the prison portion of the castle, all I thought my first playthrough was simply "alright, I really pissed this thing off now and it wants my soul", and then become even more frightened when it kept appearing when headed up toward the elevator. x3

Radidsh is my alternate name. Hungry for horror games? Check out my channel!
02-15-2013, 09:48 PM
Find