Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Recession of Amnesia Mod Development
Wapez Offline

Threads: 37
RE: The Recession of Amnesia Mod Development

(06-28-2013, 01:38 AM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: Thing is I'm underage brah.

It's cool. I'm probably younger than you but I'll get yours anyways. I read somewhere that alcohol makes stuff all fun n' shit. Might even buy a third one myself.

That was a joke for the one who didn't get that.

Founder & Legally Accountable Publisher of Red Line Games.
Environment & Gameplay Designer and Scripter.
http://moddb.com/mods/in-lucys-eyes
(This post was last modified: 06-28-2013, 01:54 AM by Wapez.)
06-28-2013, 01:43 AM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

(06-28-2013, 01:37 AM)Statyk Wrote: I like to believe this forum has gotten much, MUCH better since the times this thread was called for. The members have shown much better criticism and support and I appreciate how far it's come. There is, of course, a select group of members who practically call each other by first names, but I notice the newer members getting up there. This forum is open to a lot, the age of bad custom stories is disappearing (DUE to our negative feedback. If we provided positive feedback on bad CSs, we'd be getting more and more bad custom stories, understand?)

I like to pop in the Screenshot Criticism Thread from time to time to see how everyone gets together and supports each other, and it's neat. I don't think we're doing bad now. So here's a round, on me

[Image: Beer-toast.jpg]
Thing is I am a mug, I am to be drunk not drinking...
..st..statyk?
....I know this is a bit out..out of knowhere but...
....will you drink me?
06-28-2013, 08:25 AM
Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

(06-28-2013, 08:25 AM)The Mug Wrote: ....will you drink me?

Just as the sexual tension rises, Alias decides to urinate in the mug.
06-28-2013, 08:29 AM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

(06-28-2013, 08:29 AM)failedALIAS Wrote:

AAAARRRGHHHH!!!!!?"?"?TOT!#"&#%/¤(
WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT!?!"?!?!?#="%¤&#)=I%!?=!?!
[Image: nTJRO4a.jpg]
06-28-2013, 09:22 AM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

(06-28-2013, 09:22 AM)The Mug Wrote:
(06-28-2013, 08:29 AM)failedALIAS Wrote:

AAAARRRGHHHH!!!!!?"?"?TOT!#"&#%/¤(
WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT!?!"?!?!?#="%¤&#)=I%!?=!?!
[Image: nTJRO4a.jpg]

"Aw man, not another one. *washes you thoroughly* Ah! Finally it's clean."

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
06-28-2013, 09:35 AM
Find
Alex Ros Offline

Threads: 46

Be honest, I think it's an absolute speculation to talk about "the recession of Amnesia mods development" so seriously. Yeah, there's a recession, but I do believe this is happening only and exclusively because of a Machine for Pigs expectation, no less, no more. And I do think it's normal, because it's quite stagnating when you're doing a mod on a game engine, which will be updated in a few months. For example I am myself just slowly working on custom 3D assets and environment for my own custom storie and doing absolutely nothing within HPL2 editors with an exception of testing. Simply because I know HPL2.5 is coming out soon. And I do believe most of modders conciously or unconciously are ignoring new mods for the same reason. It's not very interesting to play new usual (!!!) stories while there's a whole new game's coming out soon. Of course, I do play big unique mods like the Great Work, for example, which was in production for years. But some usual new... uhhhm... no thanks, sorry. I have already played too many of them Amnesia alike good and nice custom stories like Followed by Death, for example. I know there're nice new custom stories, but it's just not attractive to play them, I am (maybe personally) too tired of Amnesia alike mods. I tried Rain and I clearly see it's cool, but I didn't finish it... I tried Obscurity and there's the same, I do see it's cool custom story, but also left it unfinished... just tired of the same old good (!!!) custom stories. And as a result at the moment I am (once again maybe it's just me) interested in giving a try only to somehow unique and unusual Amnesia mods. For example I will surely play the Ethernium which is focused on the storytelling not scaring. So... uhhhm... everything's clear I hope. Recession? Yup. Forget about it, nothing to worry about.

P.S. And yeah I do know Jens (or Thomas) told there won't be custom stories support for HPL2.5. But I do believe it's just for a couple of months after the a Machine for Pigs release, just a matter of time. There will be updated editors pack for updated HPL2.5. Simply because they, Frictional, already do know that supporting modding is very profitable.
(This post was last modified: 06-30-2013, 12:41 AM by Alex Ros.)
06-30-2013, 12:41 AM
Website Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(06-27-2013, 11:49 PM)Wapez Wrote:
(06-27-2013, 11:46 PM)failedALIAS Wrote: We don't have to improve much, with AMFP around the corner. (I am Jack's seething laziness.) Once we get a new batch of toys I'm sure the spark will reignite.

There will be no custom stories in AMFP, and neither will there be tools to create full conversions with. We are going to have to stick with TDD.

wait did they actually say this somewhere what now

Posting Freak
06-30-2013, 07:46 AM
Website Find
Tomato Cat Offline

Threads: 2

(06-30-2013, 07:46 AM)Kman Wrote:
(06-27-2013, 11:46 PM)failedALIAS Wrote: We don't have to improve much, with AMFP around the corner. (I am Jack's seething laziness.) Once we get a new batch of toys I'm sure the spark will reignite.

There will be no custom stories in AMFP, and neither will there be tools to create full conversions with. We are going to have to stick with TDD.

Wow, seriously?

That sounds like a bad move. The game's replayability came entirely from custom stories. =/
06-30-2013, 07:53 AM
Find
7heDubz Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

(06-30-2013, 07:53 AM)Tomato Cat Wrote:
Spoiler below!
(06-30-2013, 07:46 AM)Kman Wrote:

Wow, seriously?

That sounds like a bad move. The game's replayability came entirely from custom stories. =/

I belive they are doing it because of all of the CS's for ATDD. And all the ones in development, if they were to create CS's for AAMFP the amount of ATTD cs's played would dramatically drop. So all the ones being created now (like mine) wouldnt get very many plays and the creators might even lose all intrest i general and have to start from scratch in AAMFP, now that wouldnt be very fun! especially if you were half done with a BIG mod.

As for the models in AAMFP someone has already recreated some of the models from the trailer into ATTD. I sure if we want more that is in there they are recreateable.
(This post was last modified: 06-30-2013, 10:18 AM by 7heDubz.)
06-30-2013, 10:17 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

i'm gonna be honest i highly doubt that's the reason they're doing that and really they probably don't give a shit if there's big projects being developed. if anything allowing mods to work with amfp is just going to bring more people into the community, many of which will probably already have experience with modding other games and will make bigger and better projects making the current ones look average. sorry if that's a hard pill to swallow but it's the truth.

oh well though. i kind of doubt it's the truth considering i haven't seen a source for this and because the reason amnesia is even a fifth as big as it is is because of custom stories (since that leads to more let's plays which is by far its biggest outlet for attention and presents a reward of sorts for purchasing it, ie "i could make a really scary mod too if i bought this game!" which gets sales from people who otherwise wouldn't be interested, plus it creates a more active community). it's pretty much the biggest shot to the foot they could have taken

Posting Freak
06-30-2013, 10:36 AM
Website Find