Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

2013-02 Tuesday 19th, Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Status Update
Brosive Offline

Threads: 9
RE: 2013-02 Tuesday 19th, Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Status Update

(02-19-2013, 03:33 PM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: I hope that this is a very scary game. I also hope that this game will be the most Frightening Game until the end of time.

Then how are they going to scare us in their next game. Tongue

[Image: avenged_sevenfold_banner_by_pngsforfree-d48nxnc.gif]
02-19-2013, 04:00 PM
Find
AJRacer543 Offline

Threads: 0

Hmmmm.. As happy as I am to get some piece of information, I feel like my head is going to explode! I'm running out of custom stories to play on TDD Sad The wait will be painful, but nothing will make it go faster Tongue
02-19-2013, 04:26 PM
Find
Hardarm Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 39

I knew it we had an update the 19 of February, I just knew it.

listen to boards of canada
02-19-2013, 05:41 PM
Website Find
Diz Offline

Threads: 4

So the game is more or less finished. This is really thrilling to hear! Only thing is I hope it will be released before the orb Sun starts lighting up too much in order to have that dark room experience.

Thank you for the heads up. Best of luck with the finalizing of this epic horror experience, and thank you for showing us all what extreme horror is all about!

Radidsh is my alternate name. Hungry for horror games? Check out my channel!
02-19-2013, 06:01 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

Nice update. If waiting brings us a more polished game, then I'm happily patient. Can't wait =] Been awhile since I felt teh spooks!

And like Hirnwirbel said, try to refrain from more screenshots, or at least SPOILING ones. I want everything in the game to be more or less a mystery, not "oh, I saw this place/monster in the preview".

Big Grin
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2013, 06:57 PM by Statyk.)
02-19-2013, 06:50 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

Happy with the status update guys. Still looking forward to your masterpiece as much as ever Smile

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
02-19-2013, 06:56 PM
Find
Minecrawler Offline
Banned

Threads: 0

Hello Jens,
I'm following this game for a while and finally wanted to tell you something about "how to improve immersion" and also for all the others working on this game!

First I have to say is, that I played Penumbra first, then Amnesia and now Silent Hill.
Amnesia was a great game, surely. But you guys did something wrong in gamedesign with the texts and where you now are translating AMFP, I will tell you some important things to improve immersion. Because a major problem of Amnesia are the texts.
Penumbra and Silent Hill did it better, so let me explain early:

In Amnesia the texts are written as by a third person, not thought as the player's minds. So, it seems like more as a hint by the game instead to be part of the player itself.
Some simple examples:
"Find the key for wine cellar."
"Press J to open journal."
"Follow the trail and find their source."

Also do never use words like "You must, you should, you can" etc. Do never use commands for what the player have to do! That seems like to be in a game and it's killing the immersion in best grades.
Do it like in Penumbra, that the player is writing or thinking his minds of the actual situation or puzzles.
The texts normally should be like:

"I found a locked door into wine cellar, but certainly there must be a key to unlock it."
"When I press J, my journal can be opened."
"Hmm... there's a trail on the ground... should I follow it to find their source?"

That means to make the game more adventure-feeling with a positive effect to immersion.
Do use words that shows the player is thinking and obscure what to do. Do use words that shows "I am, I have to etc. and not You.

That's not only for the tranalstion, you also should check the original english texts by thechineseroom if they are well done or not. Please, that's so much important for the feeling to be in a game and not only playing it.

You did it right in Penumbra, so I'm sure you know what I mean. It's a little more work, but it's very important for the impression of general experience!
I hope you will understand my advices and what you did wrong in Amnesia.
I just wanted to say that before it's too late.

Keep that good old work on!

Thanks,
Minecrawler
02-19-2013, 07:15 PM
Find
Zgroktar Offline

Threads: 1

(02-19-2013, 07:15 PM)Minecrawler Wrote: Hello Jens,
I'm following this game for a while and finally wanted to tell you something about "how to improve immersion" and also for all the others working on this game!

First I have to say is, that I played Penumbra first, then Amnesia and now Silent Hill.
Amnesia was a great game, surely. But you guys did something wrong in gamedesign with the texts and where you now are translating AMFP, I will tell you some important things to improve immersion. Because a major problem of Amnesia are the texts.

In Amnesia the texts are written as by a third person, not thought as the player's minds. So, it seems like more as a hint by the game instead to be part of the player itself.
Some simple examples:

Also do never use words like "You must, you should, you can" etc. Do never use commands for what the player have to do! That seems like to be in a game and it's killing the immersion in best grades.
Do it like in Penumbra, that the player is writing or thinking his minds of the actual situation or puzzles.

"I found a locked door into wine cellar, but certainly there must be a key to unlock it."
"Hmm... there's a trail on the ground... should I follow it to find their source?"

That means to make the game more adventure-feeling with a positive effect to immersion.
Do use words that shows the player is thinking and obscure what to do. Do use words that shows "I am, I have to etc. and not You.

That's not only for the tranalstion, you also should check the original english texts by thechineseroom if they are well done or not. Please, that's so much important for the feeling to be in a game and not only playing it.

You did it right in Penumbra, so I'm sure you know what I mean. It's a little more work, but it's very important for the impression of general experience!

Thanks,
Minecrawler

I can't agree with you in this one, you are mentioning details so minor that doesn't effect the quality of the game in greater scale, Those things you mentioned are actually only at the start of the game, used only as a mini tutorial for the players. Amnesia is still much more superior game than Penumbra, and for me personally it is deeper even than Silent Hill 2 in so many aspects.

Anyway I personally appreciate your input, and I wan't to welcome you Smile
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2013, 07:24 PM by Zgroktar.)
02-19-2013, 07:22 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

(02-19-2013, 07:15 PM)Minecrawler Wrote: Hello Jens,

Some simple examples:

Thanks,
Minecrawler

I'm sorry sir but I wish to smack you across your user avatar.
02-19-2013, 07:31 PM
Find
Kirbypwnage Offline

Threads: 4

Great news to hear! I am eager to start playing it already! Big Grin

Currently working on:
Archedale Castle: Cold Hunger
http://www.moddb.com/mods/archedale-castle
02-19-2013, 07:33 PM
Find