Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

I need reference in german music.
str4wberrypanic Offline

Threads: 24
I need reference in german music.

I will begin my german classes soon and i would like some rock/metal bands as reference. I know very little about german music, and that's it. :3

02-26-2013, 10:44 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0
RE: I need reference in german music.

I assume you mean bands that not only come from germany, but who also sing in german, right? (Otherwise it would be quite pointless for learning the language ^^)

Well, the standard-answer to such a question, Rammstein is of couse always a good start. Wink Probably one of Germanys most internationally well-known bands. If you like them, you may also like Oomph! - not quite as well known, but were actually one of Rammstein's main sources of inspiration.

A good german-singing metal band imo is Equilibrium - good luck understanding any texts though, I sure as hell can't most of the time! ;D Eisregen are a little bit easier to understand, but not much.

If you like it a bit softer, Subway To Sally might be for you. They are kinda soft metal/ folk inspired/ hard to classify...
Die apokalyptischen Reiter are also quite good. Knorkator are always a lot of fun to watch and especially amazing live - they make awesome metal-parodies and other fun stuff and are just generally crazy. (Only funny if you already understand the texts Big Grin ).

Other bands that come randomly to mind (not necessarily Rock/ Metal...too lazy to look up the exact genre now): Megaherz (be a bit careful with using the words you learn through their music in class though Wink ), Das Ich (Whatever genre that is...they call themselves "Neue deutsche Todeskunst". Inspired by Gottfried Benn's poems.) and In Extremo. (Medieval Rock. Or at least they were Medieval Rock last time I checked. Nowadays they seem to be more into...steampunk? Not sure, haven't followed them for a while now.)

Edit: Okay, one more. Not to be confused with Eisregen: Eisbrecher
(This post was last modified: 02-26-2013, 11:52 PM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
02-26-2013, 11:20 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

02-27-2013, 11:25 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

How ironic...
Spoiler below!
[Image: j8xei66j.jpg]
...well actually it's not ironic, it's just what most people mean when they say "ironic". I've no idea what the correct word is though...."spitefully apposite" maybe?
(This post was last modified: 02-27-2013, 11:39 PM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
02-27-2013, 11:34 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

"Ironic" is actually the most appropriate word. German music not being available to German people - totally fits the definition, which can be:

dictionary.reference.com Wrote:1.
the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning: the irony of her reply, “How nice!” when I said I had to work all weekend.
Literature.
a.
a technique of indicating, as through character or plot development, an intention or attitude opposite to that is actually or ostensibly stated.
b.
(especially in contemporary writing) a manner of organizing a work so as to give full expression to contradictory or complementary impulses, attitudes, etc., especially as a means of indicating detachment from a subject, theme, or emotion.
dramatic irony.
an outcome of events contrary to what was, or might have been, expected.
02-28-2013, 12:54 PM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

I love german rock! German is such an awesome language

Trying is the first step to success.
02-28-2013, 02:11 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Ha, I knew I forgot some bands! Coppelius are awesome - I once saw them live and I remember their butler served wine to the moshing crowd Big Grin A group of completely insane, true gentlemen.
02-28-2013, 05:54 PM
Find