Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Why I won't buy Penumbra: Black Plague
aniruddha
Unregistered

Why I won't buy Penumbra: Black Plague

The most important reason is the lack of availability of an boxed version for Linux. I lost my game twice in an hard disk crash (one involving 2 disks including all my backups). I was able to restore all my games from Introversion and Basilisk. Penumbra however is lost forever.

Off lesser importance is the announced lack of action in the new title.
05-08-2008, 10:29 PM
WindexGlow Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 70
RE: Why I won't buy Penumbra: Black Plague

What do you mean lack of action in the new title? They're working rather hard on it and don't enjoy people bitching for 3 months after it's release when a feature they listed early on didn't make it in the final product.

Please -REP me.
Honestly, please do. I want to see how low I can go!!
Ignore that error message too. Just ignore it and keep going to give me -rep.
05-08-2008, 11:19 PM
Find
Linux.Blue Offline

Threads: 30

If I'm not mistaken, you could get some number or whatever to retrieve the game in case you lose it. as for me, I just burn the game on a CD. it's as good as any other retail game on CD or DVD.
I have a feeling your topic is really just saying "I want the boxed version, but it doesn't sound like it ever will so I'll complain about something else."
Buy it, put it on a CD or DVD, or even make copies. then you have the game, and in case your PC crashes, you still own it. done
05-09-2008, 10:33 PM
Find
aniruddha
Unregistered

Jeremy-Bailey Wrote:as for me, I just burn the game on a CD. it's as good as any other retail game on CD or DVD.
Off course this isn't true. home made cd's are of inferior quality and don't last as long as a professionally pressed cd's

Quote:I have a feeling your topic is really just saying "I want the boxed version, but it doesn't sound like it ever will so I'll complain about something else."
Not really, if they had a download system like Introversion (where you have a personal account where all your keys plus download links are stored) I would be happy too.
05-10-2008, 01:59 PM
WindexGlow Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 70

Home cds last a very long time if kept in a case. Professionally pressed cds don't last much longer.

Please -REP me.
Honestly, please do. I want to see how low I can go!!
Ignore that error message too. Just ignore it and keep going to give me -rep.
05-10-2008, 07:27 PM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

In this case Aniruddha is right. Professionaly made CDs/DVDs last longer due to better quality.

Windex, you are right to, they last long when kept in cases but not as long as professional discs.

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
05-10-2008, 10:25 PM
Find
Swarms Offline

Threads: 2

Why don't you just buy the choice of downloading multiple times?
I have downloaded and installed the game 3 times now, totally worth it. I will just loose a cd.
05-10-2008, 10:27 PM
Find
aniruddha
Unregistered

nackidno Wrote:Windex, you are right to, they last long when kept in cases but not as long as professional discs.

This depends on the brand of cdr's some brands have defective disks after a year due to 'cd-rot'.
05-11-2008, 12:21 AM
aniruddha
Unregistered

Swarms Wrote:Why don't you just buy the choice of downloading multiple times?
I have downloaded and installed the game 3 times now, totally worth it. I will just loose a cd.

Good point, this option didn't exist when I bought Penumbra Sad I think it's better then nothing, however I don't understand why competitor Introversion software is capable of providing the same service longer then a year and without an additional fee. They even store your cd-key online!
05-11-2008, 12:27 AM
Kedjane Offline

Threads: 13

aniruddha Wrote:Off lesser importance is the announced lack of action in the new title.
Penumbra isn't your everyday Spray'n'Pray game. This isn't an action game.

Worst regards, Kejdane.
205 characters remaining.
05-11-2008, 10:59 AM
Find