Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Custom Flashlight Shadow Clipping Issues
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70
Custom Flashlight Shadow Clipping Issues

Hey there all. I'm currently making a full conversion mod for Amnesia, and have a custom flashlight/lantern in the story.

Normally things that are outside of a flashlight's light range should be dark until you get into range, and then they will gradually get brighter once you move more and more into range. That's what should happen.

Unfortunately there seems to be a problem. The problem I have right now is that it doesn't seem to do that, and once objects are in range they will pop from completely dark into fully shining and visible, causing a very obvious shadow "clipping" effect.

Some things to note:
1. None of the lights for the flashlight have shadow-casting turned on.
2. Spotlight configuration is mostly same as White Night, which as far as I'm concerned works fine there.
3. This problem happens on all maps, and not just ones with custom assets.

Here's a screenshot of the occurrence mid-"clipping". I've edited out the flashlight as I don't want to reveal that just yet. If I can fix the problem, I can announce the story next week hopefully.

Spoiler below!

[Image: 7QHQoID.png]

Hope to hear from you guys soon, and thanks in advance!

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
(This post was last modified: 03-02-2013, 06:57 PM by Kreekakon.)
03-02-2013, 06:56 PM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79
RE: Custom Flashlight Shadow Clipping Issues

I guess I'll just ask now if your on max graphical settings. You can try tweaking them down and up, I've had really strange issues in games similar to what your talking about. Turned everything down, saving it and turning it back up fixes up a lot of my problems.
03-02-2013, 07:19 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

Tried that out, it didn't work...

Hmmm...is it normal for spotlights without gobos to not display at all? Because with this custom flashlight, whenever I turn the gobos on its main spotlight off, the spotlight no longer shows/gives off light in-game.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
03-03-2013, 11:40 AM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

(03-03-2013, 11:40 AM)Kreekakon Wrote: Tried that out, it didn't work...

Hmmm...is it normal for spotlights without gobos to not display at all? Because with this custom flashlight, whenever I turn the gobos on its main spotlight off, the spotlight no longer shows/gives off light in-game.

That isn't normal. Sum ting is very wong. Get it? Sum ting? Wong? No? Fine.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
03-03-2013, 03:28 PM
Find