Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Request Artists still needed
Nuclearbones Offline

Threads: 19
Artists still needed

A quick summary of what happened last time I tried to do this. Last time I tried to gather a team of artists, I thought someone would say "I'll do it all". I put so much stuff on everybody's plate that they decided they wouldn't be able to complete it all. And trust me, I understand that your time is valuable and you like to use it wisely. Same goes for me, for almost a whole year I've been dedicating 10% of my free time to conscience, mostly due to schoolwork and art and stuff like that. But now I feel that it's time to crank up the pace because soon [Like that beginning of May, soon] I will be onto a completely different game, this game is supposed to get me out of high school. So once I start, I won't be working on Conscience (the current project) until its done and over-with. Right now I am scrambling for help, I even started modeling my own stuff lately (Mostly landscapes but it's a start).

I decided I'm not going to get anywhere with just throwing everything I have at someone else. Rather, I want to spread out the work equally.
How will I do this?
Artist slots.

Basically what the slots are; I have a list of characters that need to be modeled. And somebody will claim a character on the list, meaning he's willing to create that character in his own time. I will put a name down next to that Character so that everybody knows that character has been claimed. Multiple people cannot claim the same character, as that will still leave empty space in the slots.

EXAMPLE:
  • (Character) - [Claimed by <NOONE>]
  • (Character) - [Claimed by <NOONE>]
  • (Character) - [Claimed by <RANDOM USERNAME>]

Once you claim a slot. I will send you a link to a picture of the character you chose (as most of the artwork will be on my DeviantART page, no downloading zips there).

Also these are only characters, I want to try and make the map pieces and the objects myself.

I'm not expecting you to do it just because I posted it. I would be grateful if someone did take up my offer. But you don't have to do it if you don't want to. I wont be bothered.

I'll shut my trap now and just put the slots here.
  • Jeremy Winchester - [Claimed by <NOONE>]
  • Nina Winchester - [Claimed by <NOONE>]
  • Felix (Monster) - [Claimed by <NOONE>]
  • Carpenter - [Claimed by <NOONE>]
  • Jack The Ripper (Statue) - [Claimed by <NOONE>]
  • Jack The Ripper (Man) - [Claimed by <NOONE>]
  • Edgar Winery -[Claimed by <NOONE>]
  • Martin "Vater" Kauffman -[Claimed by <NOONE>]
  • Ouroborus Warrior 1 - [Claimed by <NOONE>]
  • Ouroborus Warrior 2 - [Claimed by <NOONE>]
  • Ouroborus Warrior 3 - [Claimed by <NOONE>]
  • Ouroborus Warrior 4 - [Claimed by <NOONE>]
  • Ouroborus Warrior 5 - [Claimed by <NOONE>]
  • Recolligo Somnium - [Claimed by <NOONE>]

Happy modeling! Big Grin
03-14-2013, 04:27 AM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79
RE: Artists still needed

I'll take the assumption your naive, why would people spend their time and effort in helping you? Unless your willing to pay them for their time, it's gonna be hard unless your project just impresses the hell out of them.

(1) First of all, personally (other people might know you) I don't know you. Don't know what work you have done and I don't think you have anything worth amazing to show. (I see no information about your Mod. Pictures, ModdB Links, except your mention of a DeviantArt page but I see no link anywhere. Unless I'm blind D=)

(2) Your misleading by saying artists, do you want Concept Art, Texturing, Modeling? Please be more specific with your title!
03-14-2013, 05:06 AM
Find
Nuclearbones Offline

(03-14-2013, 05:06 AM)Rapture Wrote: I'll take the assumption your naive, why would people spend their time and effort in helping you? Unless your willing to pay them for their time, it's gonna be hard unless your project just impresses the hell out of them.

(1) First of all, personally (other people might know you) I don't know you. Don't know what work you have done and I don't think you have anything worth amazing to show. (I see no information about your Mod. Pictures, ModdB Links, except your mention of a DeviantArt page but I see no link anywhere. Unless I'm blind D=)

(2) Your misleading by saying artists, do you want Concept Art, Texturing, Modeling? Please be more specific with your title!

You're saying I should either just drop this project all together or just do a shit ton of work I don't even know how to do by myself.

Actually no. Nevermind. First time mods never work out well I guess. Especially not in a two month time crunch. I think I'll just shut it down.
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2013, 05:37 AM by Nuclearbones.)
03-14-2013, 05:13 AM
Find
Adrianis Offline

Threads: 6

Maybe you could try scaling down your concept, so that it doesn't require so much custom modelling work done.

03-14-2013, 10:22 AM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

(03-14-2013, 05:13 AM)Nuclearbones Wrote: You're saying I should either just drop this project all together or just do a shit ton of work I don't even know how to do by myself.

Actually no. Nevermind. First time mods never work out well I guess. Especially not in a two month time crunch. I think I'll just shut it down.
I hear you man. The only logical solution to your problem would be to drop "a shit ton of work" on modelers. Surely the slot list of character names you have designed must invoke a great deal of passion and inspiration in any modeler who happen to stumble upon it.

Edit: In all honesty I think that the bolded part would be the logical solution. Learn first, then do it..

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

(This post was last modified: 03-14-2013, 04:37 PM by Acies.)
03-14-2013, 04:31 PM
Find
Nuclearbones Offline

(03-14-2013, 04:31 PM)Acies Wrote:
(03-14-2013, 05:13 AM)Nuclearbones Wrote: You're saying I should either just drop this project all together or just do a shit ton of work I don't even know how to do by myself.

I hear you man. The only logical solution to your problem would be to drop "a shit ton of work" on modelers. Surely the slot list of character names you have designed must invoke a great deal of passion and inspiration in any modeler who happen to stumble upon it.

Edit: In all honesty I think that the bolded part would be the logical solution. Learn first, then do it..

In a two month time crunch? I'm not going to be able to do all that I want to do in that time period. Too much to do in such a small amount of time. That's why I came here for help.
But it's okay, the project is not TOTALLY dead. Ill be taking some classes at a college next year. They do units on understanding and using Maya. (which the Internet has failed to do for me).

I'm probably not gonna be active here for a long time, my new project is going to be made with the Unity 3D engine. But when I do become active again, it will be with a finished product of conscience. And I hope you guys will enjoy it. ^^

(03-14-2013, 10:22 AM)Adrianis Wrote: Maybe you could try scaling down your concept, so that it doesn't require so much custom modelling work done.

I can't really do that. If I cut characters there will be a LOT of holes in the main story that I have to patch.
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2013, 05:27 PM by Nuclearbones.)
03-14-2013, 04:59 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

Best of luck to you!

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

03-14-2013, 07:50 PM
Find
Adrianis Offline

Threads: 6

(03-14-2013, 04:59 PM)Nuclearbones Wrote:
(03-14-2013, 10:22 AM)Adrianis Wrote: Maybe you could try scaling down your concept, so that it doesn't require so much custom modelling work done.

I can't really do that. If I cut characters there will be a LOT of holes in the main story that I have to patch.

That's kinda what I meant by 'scale the concept', not just cut out the stuff that needs custom models but actually figure out how much of it you can do, and what you can make work without the models, you may find the limitation benefits the concept in the end... But, I was in a similar position about a year ago or so, and I also shelved the whole idea like you are... so who the hell am I to suggest stuff Smile

03-14-2013, 08:35 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

You want to make a mod with 14 characters in only two months? Sorry man, but even if you somehow found seven 3d artists to help you out and even if through some heavenly miracle those seven artists were also able to rig and animate their characters within one month each, that would still be too much.

Just for a comparison of scale: The first project I've worked on had 10 people (two coders, two game designers, one producer and five artists). It only had one animated character and a map that's about the size of a medium-to-large sized Amnesia map. (only using self-made assets and textures though).
It took us 4 months of working in our freetime after school (which, to be fair, ate quite a lot of our time) and we still had to crunch quite a bit towards the end. And if at the beginning of the project someone hadn't told us that our scope of three maps and four characters was way too big, we would've missed the deadline so hard, the school would've probably expelled us Wink

Basically, what I'm trying to say is, projects always take way more effort than expected. And there's no shame in scaling it down a bit - you can always add more stuff later if you suddenly have more time left than expected! Big Grin
(This post was last modified: 03-15-2013, 02:00 PM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
03-15-2013, 11:56 AM
Find
Nuclearbones Offline

(03-15-2013, 11:56 AM)Hirnwirbel Wrote: You want to make a mod with 14 characters in only two months? Sorry man, but even if you somehow found seven 3d artists to help you out and even if through some heavenly miracle those seven artists were also able to rig and animate their characters within one month each, that would still be too much.

Just for a comparison of scale: The first project I've worked on had 10 people (two coders, two game designers, one producer and five artists). It only had one animated character and a map that's about the size of a medium-to-large sized Amnesia map. (only using self-made assets and textures though).
It took us 4 months of working in our freetime after school (which, to be fair, ate quite a lot of our time) and we still had to crunch quite a bit towards the end. And if at the beginning of the project someone hadn't told us that our scope of three maps and four characters was way too big, we would've missed the deadline so hard, the school would've probably expelled us Wink

Basically, what I'm trying to say is, projects always take way more effort than expected. And there's no shame in scaling it down a bit - you can always add more stuff later if you suddenly have more time left than expected! Big Grin

Since I started working on conscience, it was just me with always coming back to you guys for questions. And so far I'd say I'm about more than a quarter of a way done with my work.

Naw I had all the time in the world to create this project. I just wanted it do before my next project because I can't worry about more than one thing at the same time.
03-15-2013, 04:36 PM
Find