Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Windows Store
L33t Maus Offline

Threads: 1
Windows Store

Hey any developers,
I currently am using my Surface RT tablet for most of what I do and I loved the "Amnesia: The Dark Decent" game but can't use until my mom and sister give me the computer. I would like to ask to see if you guys at Frictional Games could please make a app for the game on the windows store which I, and many others (Since there are no major games on the store) would promptly buy. Please consider this request.
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2013, 06:54 AM by L33t Maus.)
03-14-2013, 06:54 AM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75
RE: Windows Store

What do you mean? I'm confused.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
03-14-2013, 07:08 AM
Find
Diz Offline

Threads: 4

To be honest, in this time and age, tablets and computers originally installed with Windows RT would be unable to run any game of that degree. Whilst I am not officially speaking on behalf of Frictional Games, I think I can say for certain that this will not be a focus of theirs, if not for the fact that these kind of devices simply lack the capability of running such games (or being playable, if launching the proposed app would work).

Good idea, nonetheless, and you never know what happens in the future, but as it currently stands, I doubt original RT/tablet technology holds the power to remotely run these games.

Radidsh is my alternate name. Hungry for horror games? Check out my channel!
03-14-2013, 10:11 AM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

What Diz said. A tablet can't run the same games a PC can (yet), they need to be severely optimized in terms of polycount, texture sizes, etc. (Yes, even awesome-looking games like Infinity Blade are probably way more optimized than one would think. Wink ) That's also the reason why you can't find any major games in the store - if it was that easy to convert an existing PC or console game for tablets, the big developers would've already done it! Wink

Also, not every engine is compatible with tablets and their operating systems (not 100% sure if this would also be the case for a tablet that runs on windows...well even if the OS works, there might still be hardware-specific issues I guess). Some engines make it fairly easy for developers to develop for multiple platforms, like Unity or Unreal, but Frictional coded their own engine which therefore does not have this feature.

So in a nutshell, it would be a tremendous amount of work for them (if not impossible to do without re-coding half the engine and redoing all the assets) with very little money in return. Because not only are apps pretty cheap compared to PC games, there are also not that many people who own a tablet and are also interested in a game like Amnesia, compared to the big fanbase on PC.

And last but not least, I simply can't imagine a game like Amnesia working on a tablet in terms of immersion and atmosphere... but maybe that's just me. Big Grin
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2013, 04:41 PM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
03-14-2013, 03:29 PM
Find
Chrysler Offline

Threads: 2

Want to add that there is the possibility to list desktop apps in the Windows Store although that alone won't make the game playable on the RT platform of course.
03-14-2013, 06:06 PM
Find