Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: Do you like the idea of playable monsters and do you think its possible?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, I like it, and it should indeed be possible. Smile
26.32%
5 26.32%
No, I dont like it, but it should indeed be possible. :/
15.79%
3 15.79%
Yes, I really like this idea, but im afraid its not possible. Sad
21.05%
4 21.05%
No, I dont like it, and I think its impossible to achieve. Tongue
36.84%
7 36.84%
Total 19 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Play as an npc in amnesia the dark decent
Erik The Born Offline

Threads: 7
RE: Play as an npc in amnesia the dark decent

(03-17-2013, 09:16 AM)martinnord Wrote:
(03-17-2013, 08:19 AM)Erik The Born Wrote:
(03-17-2013, 02:29 AM)martinnord Wrote:

You could do something like this, but replace the lantern with a monster hand, and make it do a slash animation when pulling away the lantern. You would also have to replace the sound with a slash sound.
another detail that would be good would be to constantly force the player to use the lantern with the function "setlanternactive"(just looked it up). I dunno if you will be able to remove the light though. you will also have to make sure the player never runs out of oil, maybe using a constantly looping timer that gives the player oil all the time, but I would not know this since im no scripter.

EDIT: YAY 200 post! Big Grin

SWEET MAN. you made this video? Or did you just show it? Cause that idea with the lantern is good. But do you think i can make it do sound? like door smashes sound. it wold be cool. Anyways this idea looks pretty good. Do you think you can shaere this?

Did you even read my post, it litterally says "im no scripter" right at the end, no I did not make this. it was made by a guy named yourcomputer who does some pretty badass stuff.

Oh I see. I talk to him then.
03-17-2013, 10:10 AM
Find
Adrianis Offline

Threads: 6

(03-17-2013, 10:10 AM)Erik The Born Wrote: Oh I see. I talk to him then.

Dude, you're going to need to work out how to do quite a bit of this stuff by yourself. You could get it working roughly with the help of people who have done it before, but if it's not quite right / needs some basic changes, your going to run into trouble because you won't know how it works.

Start off with something much smaller. See if you can make a custom story where interacting with a door will smash it apart - that's very possible and won't require you mess around with any config files, so start by making that work, then just work up in stages

Also
Quote:But do you think i can make it do sound?
Yes of course. Again, if you would just look through the engine script page, you can see what is possible. You don't even have to understand them yet, just read about what they do so that you'll know for the future

03-17-2013, 03:01 PM
Find
Erik The Born Offline

(03-17-2013, 03:01 PM)Adrianis Wrote:
(03-17-2013, 10:10 AM)Erik The Born Wrote: Oh I see. I talk to him then.

Dude, you're going to need to work out how to do quite a bit of this stuff by yourself. You could get it working roughly with the help of people who have done it before, but if it's not quite right / needs some basic changes, your going to run into trouble because you won't know how it works.

Start off with something much smaller. See if you can make a custom story where interacting with a door will smash it apart - that's very possible and won't require you mess around with any config files, so start by making that work, then just work up in stages

Also
Quote:But do you think i can make it do sound?
Yes of course. Again, if you would just look through the engine script page, you can see what is possible. You don't even have to understand them yet, just read about what they do so that you'll know for the future

Yeah. I dont get it sometimes. Im planning on making some inaccesable areas in the actual amnesia story accessable and there make my custom maps and stuffs. But how do i make a custom script? Where do i place it? I have a custom story in the custom story folder included cfg file maps file. What do i need to do if i for example want to make a valve that does something? Ok that i probably find tutorial on. But you can make a playerinteractcallback on the door right. And you paste the path to the txt file includeing the script?
03-17-2013, 05:29 PM
Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 67

Hehe technically you can't play an NPC. As soon as you play it, it will be accurately described as a PC. A player character, as opposed to a non-player character :3

03-18-2013, 03:29 AM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

^ I was thinking that same thing.
03-18-2013, 03:42 AM
Find
Erik The Born Offline

Anyway lets go to this then. I want to be able to hit and destroy objects like enemies does. Example a door. By right clicking it you will hit the door, eventually destroying the door completly. can you tell me a script wich allows that? Then its just to maker a hpl file for my map right. Paste the script there and load the map and it will alow me to do so. Remember thatits not just doors I want to smash. Any other object capable of being smashed. Like barrels boxes. Prison doors etc...
03-19-2013, 03:37 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

(03-19-2013, 03:37 PM)Erik The Born Wrote: Anyway lets go to this then. I want to be able to hit and destroy objects like enemies does. Example a door. By right clicking it you will hit the door, eventually destroying the door completly. can you tell me a script wich allows that? Then its just to maker a hpl file for my map right. Paste the script there and load the map and it will alow me to do so. Remember thatits not just doors I want to smash. Any other object capable of being smashed. Like barrels boxes. Prison doors etc...

I think it has something to do with the health of the entity. So you would have to make a script that decreases the entities health whenever you are both looking at the entity, within a certain range of the entity and turn your lantern off
( the lantern which you have now turned into an animated monster hand with your amazing skills).
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2013, 04:12 PM by WALP.)
03-19-2013, 04:11 PM
Find
Erik The Born Offline

(03-19-2013, 04:11 PM)martinnord Wrote:
(03-19-2013, 03:37 PM)Erik The Born Wrote: Anyway lets go to this then. I want to be able to hit and destroy objects like enemies does. Example a door. By right clicking it you will hit the door, eventually destroying the door completly. can you tell me a script wich allows that? Then its just to maker a hpl file for my map right. Paste the script there and load the map and it will alow me to do so. Remember thatits not just doors I want to smash. Any other object capable of being smashed. Like barrels boxes. Prison doors etc...

I think it has something to do with the health of the entity. So you would have to make a script that decreases the entities health whenever you are both looking at the entity, within a certain range of the entity and turn your lantern off
( the lantern which you have now turned into an animated monster hand with your amazing skills).

Ok keep in mind that I dont know scripting and if you were to post a spoiler with the script it would really help me on this. But yeah the lantern idea, is it the only way? Cant you just bind right mouse button for it? Anyways I can never script those stuffs myself. Im gona need some1 who knows how to do it, paste the script in a spoiler.
03-19-2013, 04:38 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

(03-19-2013, 04:38 PM)Erik The Born Wrote:
(03-19-2013, 04:11 PM)martinnord Wrote:

Ok keep in mind that I dont know scripting and if you were to post a spoiler with the script it would really help me on this. But yeah the lantern idea, is it the only way? Cant you just bind right mouse button for it? Anyways I can never script those stuffs myself. Im gona need some1 who knows how to do it, paste the script in a spoiler.

Learn to script. we wont do it for you.

You only have acces to very little code, most of it being as simple as coding different functions together instead of the incredible difficulty it is to actually write them, so its definitely not impossible if you put in the time.
I hope you have experience in 3d software like blender/maya/3dsmax though for animating the hand, else you can expect to spend very long on this.

PS: You cant bind functions to keys with the available script, its in the source code.
03-19-2013, 05:33 PM
Find
Erik The Born Offline

Uhhm ok then I use callaback for putting away lantern. But hey, dont expect every1 to learn scripting. Sure I like to learn new stuff. But why learn eveything about scripting in Amnesia when the only thing I wanna do is to be able to smash objects and hit doors till they break like enemies does. Or hit boxes and barrels. After I know that script I will probably not be around for so much longer since I already got what I was looking for. Is the script really that long and complictaed that no1 here has the patient to write it here? Its all im asking for. After I have that script I just use a grunt arm model instead of lantern. And it will be almost like being 1 of them haha.
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2013, 08:12 PM by Erik The Born.)
03-19-2013, 08:10 PM
Find