Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can't play the game; freezes on startup
SadPanda Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 4 Weeks ago RE: Can't play the game; freezes on startup

I've been playing a bunch of games with little to no issues. This is the only game that I am unable to play. Anyway, the artifacts have gone away now. I don't recall what I changed to make them show up or go away.

And yes, the hpl.log has not changed.

I tried uninstalling AI Suite II, which includes TurboV, but it is still not working.
03-18-2013, 01:46 AM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 4 Weeks ago RE: Can't play the game; freezes on startup

What do you mean little issues? A hardware is either defected or not. And at some games it might show a lot more than others making them even unplayable.
03-18-2013, 01:56 AM
Find
SadPanda Offline

So far, I have played:

Fallout: New Vegas (no issues)
Just Cause 2 (no issues)
Metro 2033 (some screen tearing)
Mirror's Edge (some screen tearing, fixed by v-sync)
Portal 2 (no issues)
Sam & Max (controller and mouse issues)
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (no issues)
Sonic Generations (no issues)
Tomb Raider (no issues)
The Walking Dead (wouldn't boot, fixed with dinput8.dll)

Metro 2033, I just haven't bothered to fix yet, but I know it has one. Sam & Max, and other Telltale Games, have known compatibility issues with Windows 8.

Amnesia is the only game I've tried that has given me issues that I couldn't fix within minutes of trying.

It could be that the GPU is defective, and Amnesia is just the first game to show it. It just seems unlikely to me, but I am inexperienced with this kind of stuff, so who knows.
03-18-2013, 02:12 AM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Sadly I cannot think of anything else, we've done pretty much more than we should. This problem has to do with your computer. Maybe some operating system options, programs, services etc. Maybe a hardware problem. I cannot know what exactly though.

Do you have another computer where you can play Amnesia?
03-18-2013, 02:57 AM
Find
SadPanda Offline

Unfortunately, I don't.

I really appreciate all your help, though. I'll probably go back through and try everything again just to make sure I didn't miss anything or screw something up.

Thanks.
03-18-2013, 03:17 AM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199

I think all the other games on the list are Direct3D games, Amnesia uses OpenGL. Could be some driver issue with your driver, hardware & win8 combination. So might not work until AMD releases a driver update that fixes the issue.
03-18-2013, 09:23 AM
Website Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

The latest Catalyst is 13.1, if you have this installed then you are updated. Try this 13.3 beta released some days ago:

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pag...river.aspx

Let's not forget that AMD tends to break OpenGL drivers from time to time. When the 7XXX series cards were released it took them 2 drivers to fix an alpha rendering problem.
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2013, 02:46 PM by plutomaniac.)
03-18-2013, 02:45 PM
Find
SadPanda Offline

I was wondering about that beta. I'll go ahead and give that a try when I get home.

Another thing I'd like to try is to clear my internal HDD and do a fresh install of the OS on that with my SSD unplugged. I'll only install Steam and Amnesia and see if it runs then.
03-18-2013, 07:12 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Yes try the beta first, it might be AMD's fault after all once more.

If you indeed go with a format I'm pretty sure it will work great afterwards. Don't install any other programs at first except the drivers. Install steam and amnesia and give it a try. If the problem persists then we can rule out operating system. So it will then be either an AMD driver issue or a defected graphics card that appears to have problems with certain games.

By the way, if you have an SSD install the operating system at that drive and leave steam and games at the HDD. That's because games do not benefit from SSD's (only at loading) but the OS does greatly.
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2013, 07:39 PM by plutomaniac.)
03-18-2013, 07:37 PM
Find
SadPanda Offline

Just tried installing the beta and running the game and I got a BlackBox that says:

Amnesia.exe caused an EXCEPTION_INT_DIVIDE_BY_ZERO in module atioglxx.dll at 0023:0A82DBA8, DrvPresentBuffers()+15407336 byte(s)
03-19-2013, 03:35 AM
Find