Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Multiplayer/Co-Op & Frictional Games? NO!!!
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100
RE: Amnesia should have CO-OP... ;P

Left 4... Amnesia.
Just saying.

02-11-2011, 06:10 PM
Website Find
Frontcannon Offline

Threads: 10

(02-11-2011, 06:10 PM)Scraper Wrote: Left 4... Amnesia.

Also known as.. "What?"

╔═════════════════╗
☺ Smoke weed everyday ☺
╚═════════════════╝
02-11-2011, 06:11 PM
Find
Tottel Offline

Threads: 9

Take a piece of paper and write down WHY it would be nice. How would it work, how can the players interact,...

Note how the whole point of Amnesia (being alone and helpless) is completely butchered and raped.
I hope you're proud of yourself; you made many people cry today. Sad
02-11-2011, 07:59 PM
Find
house Offline

Threads: 11

(02-11-2011, 06:11 PM)Frontcannon Wrote:
(02-11-2011, 06:10 PM)Scraper Wrote: Left 4... Amnesia.

Also known as.. "What?"

Hes probably refering to left 4 dead.
02-11-2011, 09:26 PM
Find
LSunday Offline

Threads: 1

I disagree- it depends on how it is done.

The feeling of being helpless and alone can actually be amplified with a second person- How bad must it be if there are things so intense and dangerous even two people have to flee in terror when faced with anything?

And the previous idea of forcing the two players to stick together for things like the lamp and a map or something is good. Then, you force a co-dependence, but at the same time you have sections that force them to split up, and they then have to operate in certain places completely alone, forced to trust their partner and operate without whatever useful item that person has.

And then the fleeing- If you're not in perfect sync, and something surprises you and you have to run, you can easily get split up and have no idea where the other one went.

The idea of Amnesia is being helpless and alone- And I'm not saying REPLACE Amnesia with co-op. But Amnesia plays on a certain type of fear. I think, to avoid being repetitive, they could play on another type of fear in the future. And another fear that can be used is fear not only for yourself, but the uncertainty of placing your trust and life in someone else.

And I disagree about the hearing your friends scream in terror always being hilarious- When I was playing and being watched by a friend standing next to me, they did indeed find it hilarious. But, when I was screen-sharing my desktop and a friend was watching full-screen somewhere else, they were just as scared as I was, and it was very rare for them to be laughing at my freaking out.

And, since when you're far from your partner, as I posted earlier, any time you hear them scream, you're probably in an area sufficiently creepy enough that you either saw the monster/scary thing as well, and you screamed with them, or it makes your imagination run wild and you have to decide to run back towards them to see what happened, or flee for your life and hope that they managed to do the same.
02-12-2011, 12:08 AM
Find
pedritti Offline

(02-11-2011, 05:22 PM)luckyme Wrote: Unfortunately, the atmosphere would be so easily ruined by playing with another person who didn't take the game seriously. Assuming we're talking about two player co-op, I'd suggest that players were each given a responsibility, and had to rely on each other to survive. Perhaps, for example, one player was responsible for providing light, whilst the other was provided with a map, so to navigate them through these dark mazes and corridors. There would be more incentive to stay together, and if separated, players would panic and be forced to survive on their own.

As previously mentioned though, Co-op changes everything, and probably wouldn't work with Amnesia. The game would have to rebuilt from scratch, and I'd imagine it would be very hard to keep things scary, especially if players used microphones. Listening to a mate scream in terror is hilarious, and not frightening in any way.

That depends... If he screams and says its comming oh shit what the fuck?
This phrase may create a horrible fear in you because you anticipate something horrible and there is nothing scarier to a person than that persons own imagination due to the fact that we all imagine the thing that scares us the most. For a few seconds you will be scared beyond your wits. Maybe you won't even get to see the monster due to your instant turn and run but you get what i mean.

In some situations it could work
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2011, 05:32 AM by pedritti.)
02-12-2011, 05:30 AM
Find
house Offline

Threads: 11

I did co-op on a scary level with my friend on a game once and I still got scared. (Pretty much a reply to the above comments that said it would ruin the game or it wouldn't be so fun)
02-12-2011, 07:41 AM
Find
waqas12346 Offline

Threads: 38

Also custom story needs many scripts line if you wanna play with your friends.
LIKE THIS:
brute find and attack player 2 and 3
grunt attack player 1 and 3
grunt and brute reach player 1 and 2 and then dissappear Big Grin
02-12-2011, 11:07 PM
Website Find
LSunday Offline

Basically, it wouldn't be the same. It couldn't be- But that doesn't mean it would be worse. Different can still be awesome!
02-13-2011, 12:53 AM
Find
Taken6243 Offline

That is a GREAT idea for the multiplayer.

Now, if we're gonna talk about cooperative, this is gonna sound mediocre, but here me out. In Left 4 Dead and Dead Space 2, you could play as the enemies in the multiplayer. Why not use this for an Amnesia like approach?

Basically, there are two players. The guys playing as the humans (let's just call them Bob and Dylan for now), will start out with an objective. For example, a machine has to be put together in order to open a door. But the problem is, some of the equipment needed for the machine has been scattered across the map. Bob and Dylan will now have to traverse the environment and venture into the darkness in order to collect the parts needed. They will both be equipped with lighting equipment that they will need to collect fuel from at a few points. And the idea with voicechat that LSunday brought up HAS to be present.

But all of the while, there are people playing as the monsters as well (let's just call them John and Lennon for now). Basically, John and Lennon's objective is to stop Bob and Dylan by any means possible from building the machine and moving on. John and Lennon have abilities that Bob and Dylan don't; they can talk to each other in voice chat telepathically, and have the ability to break down doors and tear through closets in order to find Bob and Dylan. They also run slightly faster than Bob and Dylan as well.

One trick that the monsters can do is this. Let's say John finds Bob, and hits him ONCE. If a human player gets hit once, he falls to the floor and is crippled, he is only capable of crawling very slowly. If John had hit Bob two times, then he would have killed Bob. Instead, Dylan has been informed of his friend's predicament and runs to save Bob. When he gets to him though, John jumps out and kills both of them.

So basically, it would be all about trickery, stealth, and atmosphere.
02-14-2011, 01:49 AM
Find