Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

hunt
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25
RE: hunt

(03-23-2013, 02:58 AM)Chronofox Wrote: Actually, Bridge, I'm not that much of a fan of hunting myself, unless you do it for survival. It might be because I'm not well-informed, either. What are the recreational benefits of hunting?

Well, you have to be incredibly skilled to be even a passable hunter, and as with all hobbies that require a great deal of dedication and disciplined training, the journey is half the reward. I've never gone hunting personally, but if I can feel completely exhilarated playing Deer Hunter (which is monstrously difficult and still probably nothing like real life), then the excitement hunters get from possibly hours of patience paying off must be quite something. I don't advocate mass slaughter of animals, but how could you take that away from someone because you have some moral hang-ups?

(03-23-2013, 03:35 AM)Wooderson Wrote:
(03-23-2013, 02:56 AM)Bridge Wrote:
(03-23-2013, 02:49 AM)Wooderson Wrote: Should never be allowed for sport.

Basically, I only think its morally right if you count yourself as an animal within the habitat/survival situations.

I'm glad you're not in charge, depriving people of something they have every right to do based on something as meaningless as morals.

Its what makes us human.

No, it's just people trying to find meaning where there is none. Animals kill each other all the time, much more than humans in fact. Do the motives matter? In the end, you have an animal that receives the same physiological effects as hunters and a carcass, that may or may not provide nourishment to some other animal.
(This post was last modified: 03-23-2013, 04:01 AM by Bridge.)
03-23-2013, 03:48 AM
Find
Wooderson Offline
Posting Freak

(03-23-2013, 03:48 AM)Bridge Wrote:
(03-23-2013, 02:58 AM)Chronofox Wrote: Actually, Bridge, I'm not that much of a fan of hunting myself, unless you do it for survival. It might be because I'm not well-informed, either. What are the recreational benefits of hunting?

Well, you have to be incredibly skilled to be even a passable hunter, and as with all hobbies that require a great deal of dedication and disciplined training, the journey is half the reward. I've never gone hunting personally, but if I can feel completely exhilarated playing Deer Hunter (which is monstrously difficult and still probably nothing like real life), then the excitement hunters get from possibly hours of patience paying off must be quite something. I don't advocate mass slaughter of animals, but how could you take that away from someone because you have some moral hang-ups?

(03-23-2013, 03:35 AM)Wooderson Wrote:
(03-23-2013, 02:56 AM)Bridge Wrote:
(03-23-2013, 02:49 AM)Wooderson Wrote: Should never be allowed for sport.

Basically, I only think its morally right if you count yourself as an animal within the habitat/survival situations.

I'm glad you're not in charge, depriving people of something they have every right to do based on something as meaningless as morals.

Its what makes us human.

No, it's just people trying to find meaning where there is none. Animals kill each other all the time, much more than humans in fact. Do the motives matter? In the end, you have an animal that receives the same physiological effects as hunters and a carcass, that may or may not provide nourishment to some other animal.

Way I see it is;

Deer in woods. Hunter comes along. Kills it. Makes it a trophy, eats it.

I don't see why its fair for a creature of nature to have its life cut short because someone gets a kick out of it. They're getting satisfaction from killing. We don't live in the old age anymore, we have industries for meat (a whole other level of debate which I wont go into).

We are animals, but we are either privileged or cursed to have the power/intelligence we have. I value animals lives. I guess a lot of people don't.

[Image: luv.gif]
03-23-2013, 04:11 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Of course motives matter Bridge. If we could justify any action by saying "well animals do it all the time so what's the problem?" then rape canibalism could be considered okay.

Posting Freak
03-23-2013, 04:33 AM
Website Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

(03-23-2013, 04:33 AM)Kman Wrote: Of course motives matter Bridge. If we could justify any action by saying "well animals do it all the time so what's the problem?" then rape canibalism could be considered okay.

Valid point, but we are talking about humans, around which everything we believe in is based around. Animals have no further aspirations than to survive by any means necessary. I don't mean to say humans are objectively more important, they certainly aren't, but the point about rape and cannibalism is moot if you focus only on the act of killing the animal, not the implications the way we justify it has. Actually, my point is that we need no justification because it is a human concept and a ridiculous one at that. Would I kill an animal? Probably not (although I wouldn't rule out the possibility). Do I care if somebody else does? Nope. It's none of my business and I have no right to tell other people what they can and cannot enjoy, as long as other humans are not harmed or killed in the process. That's it. Animals are meaningless.

EDIT: I'm talking about game here though. I don't abide people torturing domesticated animals that have adopted human traits. People that partake in that kind of killing of animals should be crucified. Actually, I take back what I said about motives. They do matter. I would never abide someone gunning down cats in an urban area or anything like that. At least hunting is an art, with relatively meaningless consequences.
(This post was last modified: 03-23-2013, 04:47 AM by Bridge.)
03-23-2013, 04:42 AM
Find
Macgyverthehero Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 23

I'm not that big of a fan of hunting, but if I was in a survival situation I would probably have no other choice then to use what I have around me and go on the hunt.

[Image: Keo88b.gif]
03-23-2013, 06:16 AM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

I have nothing against killing animals for food if it's done as clean and humane as possible.

However, I don't accept killing animals just for fun or "pleasure of killing/hurting them" since that is sadistic and my life stance tells me to respect every living creature, animal and human alike.

...and PETA is just a joke...

(This post was last modified: 03-23-2013, 10:02 AM by Yuhaney.)
03-23-2013, 07:45 AM
Website Find
Sarcophagus Offline

Threads: 8

I will hunt you and yo family down nigga bear!

Species come and go, but the Earth stands forever fast.
03-23-2013, 09:05 AM
Website Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

Do you want to know what I think?

I think that hunting should be done only in a survival condition, is to say: If it's the only thing you can do to get food, go along. But, if you live somewhere where there are many stores where you can get the food easily, get that one.

Killling for satisfaction should never be done.

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
03-23-2013, 11:31 AM
Find
Nice Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 37

i live in a village thats not too far from a forest. We have bears, wolves and foxes wandering around every morning (almost), wild boars destroying fields and deers jumping infront of our cars. There has been some bear attacks aswell.

What im saying is that hunting MUST be done, in order to control the animal population, for example our village has a shortage of hunters, and they actually have to pay the fine for all the damaged caused by the end of the month if they don't hunt down enough animals.

Before you say "Its because you live near the forest, you steal home from animals QQ" let me point out that the forest is huge, and the village has been there for like 300 years so the animals should have learned by now that its a zone occupied by humans.

And before you say anything against "population control" like animals have rights to live and all that stuff... Imagine waking up, going outside and seeing a bear walking around your car.

Sorry but we cannot change your avatar as the new avatar you specified is too big. The maximum dimensions are 80x80 (width x height)
03-23-2013, 11:53 AM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Do you guys also oppose fishing on moral grounds?
03-23-2013, 12:53 PM
Find