Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

this used to be about breaking bad but it's kinda just about tv now so idk yeah
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25
RE: Breaking Bad

No love for Seinfeld? Or Frasier, Blackadder, Only Fools and Horses, Are You Being Served, Fawlty Towers, Monty Python & The Flying Circus, Beavis & Butthead and Ren & Stimpy - AKA greatest shows ever made.
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2013, 11:06 PM by Bridge.)
03-28-2013, 11:04 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

(03-28-2013, 11:10 PM)Robosprog Wrote:
(03-28-2013, 11:04 PM)Bridge Wrote: No love for Seinfeld? Or Frasier, Blackadder, Only Fools and Horses, Are You Being Served, Fawlty Towers, Monty Python & The Flying Circus, Beavis & Butthead and Ren & Stimpy - AKA greatest shows ever made.

I feel Seinfeld is very overrated, same with Frasier and the last two, as well as Are you Being Served, though the rest are some of the best shows ever made in their genre, I must agree, though I feel Band of Brothers is still the best tv series to have existed thus far.

Haven't seen it but it is no doubt awesome.

I feel I have to speak up for Seinfeld though. It is absolutely not overrated. In fact, the only people who say it is unfunny are people who don't *get it*. I don't mean to be so elitist to suggest that it is too sophisticated for you or anything, but if you were truly giving it a chance (being completely unbiased and ignoring the Seinfeld is Unfunny effect) then you will be able to appreciate the extremely nuanced performances (except for Julia-Louis Dreyfus who is good but not great) and the great ironies in the show. Honestly, I think it is much more than the trendy sitcom it ostensibly is: it's a study of people (rivaled only perhaps by George Carlin's musings) and a fascinating example of a show that draws almost all of its humor from irony. The people that don't enjoy it are people that hear "NO SOUP FOR YOU!" and "The jerkstore called, they're running out of YOU!" and take them literally.

I agree Frasier is unbearably bad at times though; I just love Kelsey Grammer and I find the show to be so involving I gladly ignore the occasional bad jokes (although most of them are fairly obvious).

EDIT: Have you watched every episode up to and including the finale? Because I am quite passionate about the show, having watched every episode at least three times and I have a lot to say if you want to discuss it in more detail.
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2013, 11:33 PM by Bridge.)
03-28-2013, 11:23 PM
Find
Wooderson Offline
Posting Freak

Band of Brothers goes down on my recommendation list of "YOU SHOULD WATCH THIS BEFORE YOU DIE".

It is the complete package in everything you would want in a series.

[Image: luv.gif]
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2013, 11:25 PM by Wooderson.)
03-28-2013, 11:25 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

(03-29-2013, 12:08 AM)Robosprog Wrote: I haven't seen every single episode, though I have seen a considerable amount, for some reason Seinfeld just.. didn't do anything for me, people always told me it was funny, I was happy to give it a chance as I had with inbetweeners which I loved etc, but it really did nothing for me.

Fair enough, but I still don't think you understand the show. If you did, you wouldn't call it overrated even if you hated it. It's phenomenally well written and the subtleties in the performances are on a subatomic scale. Like it or not, it is one of the highlights of television in general. This is not baseless conjecture either, in fact I could write an essay on why it is an excellently made show. I do respect opinions based solely on aesthetic considerations (it's the most important aspect after all) however I think some respect is due.
(This post was last modified: 03-29-2013, 01:41 AM by Bridge.)
03-29-2013, 01:41 AM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75
RE: this used to be about breaking bad but it's kinda just about tv now so idk yeah

So, HIMYM gonna end at May. NNNNOOOOOOO!

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
03-29-2013, 02:19 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

RE: this used to be about breaking bad but it's kinda just about tv now so idk yeah

(03-29-2013, 02:19 AM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: So, HIMYM gonna end at May. NNNNOOOOOOO!

It's like a 5.5/10 show at best anyways so meh

Posting Freak
03-29-2013, 02:28 AM
Website Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8

So who else doesn't really watch that much TV?

I may or may not check out the new Doctor Who season. I dunno, the last one kind of killed Dr. Who for me.

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
03-29-2013, 02:43 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

(03-29-2013, 02:43 AM)Aldighieri Wrote: So who else doesn't really watch that much TV?

I may or may not check out the new Doctor Who season. I dunno, the last one kind of killed Dr. Who for me.

I don't either really, my family occasionally will watch shows together (how I ended up seeing all those shows I listed) but I haven't actively watched a show in my free time in years.

Posting Freak
03-29-2013, 03:07 AM
Website Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRHGsX1dEsE_7C4oQIaM6g...9pJzJ65crs]
"I'm the one who knocks." Without a doubt the coolest line in the fucking show, and holy shit, I'm cumming meth.

Fuck the rest of you. Breaking Bad the shittiest to the ballz on max, hip-dog.
(This post was last modified: 03-29-2013, 06:57 AM by failedALIAS.)
03-29-2013, 06:56 AM
Find
rtjhbfvsrry Offline

Threads: 1

(03-29-2013, 01:41 AM)Bridge Wrote:
(03-29-2013, 12:08 AM)Robosprog Wrote: I haven't seen every single episode, though I have seen a considerable amount, for some reason Seinfeld just.. didn't do anything for me, people always told me it was funny, I was happy to give it a chance as I had with inbetweeners which I loved etc, but it really did nothing for me.

Fair enough, but I still don't think you understand the show. If you did, you wouldn't call it overrated even if you hated it. It's phenomenally well written and the subtleties in the performances are on a subatomic scale. Like it or not, it is one of the highlights of television in general. This is not baseless conjecture either, in fact I could write an essay on why it is an excellently made show. I do respect opinions based solely on aesthetic considerations (it's the most important aspect after all) however I think some respect is due.

I find your defense of Seinfeld interesting. To clarify, I can't stand this show - not because of the reasons most often given, being because I consider it to be the exact opposite of what you describe. I find the performances to be ridiculously over the top one-note carictatures of common neuroses (it makes Winnie the Pooh's examination of mental problems look subtle) which only remain consistent throughout because the episodes are as formulaic as humanly possible, almost House M.D. levels of "every episode must follow the same arc syndrome". Characters will find themselves in slightly awkward situations and proceed to overthink it so much that they make it much worse.

To each his own, I suppose. I recognize that Seinfeld was a big step forward in sitcoms but that doesn't take away that "lets follow these completely unlikable people around in their lives" is a bad setup, because I hate reality TV.
03-29-2013, 01:48 PM
Find