Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Love for bad music
Sarcophagus Offline

Threads: 8
RE: Love for bad music

(04-08-2013, 02:05 PM)GiggleBlizzard Wrote:
(04-08-2013, 11:09 AM)Sarcophagus Wrote: I don't listen to computer-made music, I only listen to bands who are able to play a damn guitar or the drums or whatever.

I was talking about today's music which is dissapointing.
Even MTV has become a useless crap lately.

And when I said repetitive lyrics I was talking about songs like Bieber's Baby.

I would like to talk about music but it would be a long ass conversation.

I remember when I used to think all "computer-made" music (electronica) was bad. Then I grew up. Depeche Mode, Kraftwerk, SizzleBird, Daft Punk, etc. Most people who make any sort of electronic music usually know how to play an instrument - usually piano/keyboard or an organ.

And I mean, repetetive lyrics? Beatles, Rolling Stones, Iron Maiden - there have always been music with poor or repetetive lyrics. In my opinion it's mainly the music that matters, not the lyrics anyway.

You bring Iron Maiden into this? LOL
http://www.lyricsfreak.com/i/iron+maiden...67979.html

And I think I said this but I will do it again : I WAS TALKING ABOUT TODAY'S MUSIC not the classic Depeche Mode

Species come and go, but the Earth stands forever fast.
04-08-2013, 02:15 PM
Website Find
GiggleBlizzard Offline

Threads: 2

(04-08-2013, 02:15 PM)Sarcophagus Wrote:
(04-08-2013, 11:09 AM)Sarcophagus Wrote: I don't listen to computer-made music, I only listen to bands who are able to play a damn guitar or the drums or whatever.

I remember when I used to think all "computer-made" music (electronica) was bad. Then I grew up. Depeche Mode, Kraftwerk, SizzleBird, Daft Punk, etc. Most people who make any sort of electronic music usually know how to play an instrument - usually piano/keyboard or an organ.

And I mean, repetetive lyrics? Beatles, Rolling Stones, Iron Maiden - there have always been music with poor or repetetive lyrics. In my opinion it's mainly the music that matters, not the lyrics anyway.

And I think I said this but I will do it again : I WAS TALKING ABOUT TODAY'S MUSIC not the classic Depeche Mode

I didn't mean Iron Maiden as a whole I just meant there have always been songs with repetive texts. But there is good music today, just a lot of the mainstream stuff isn't to my tastes.

I just thought some of your points were kind of silly.
04-08-2013, 02:16 PM
Find
Sarcophagus Offline

(04-08-2013, 01:56 PM)Funderbunk Wrote:
(04-08-2013, 09:50 AM)Sarcophagus Wrote:
(04-08-2013, 09:41 AM)Funderbunk Wrote: I still have a lingering enjoyment of super angsty nu-metal. Disturbed or Godsmack or even Linkin Park, and man those bands are all super terrible.

Godsmack is a damn great band.
Disturbed are ok and the Old Linkin Park is pretty good

Hah, fair enough. I don't think they're good anymore (too much angsting over repetetive, overproduced drop-D power chords) but I look at them with nostalgia and occassionally it's cathartic to scream along with them badly.

But seriously every time Godsmack steps out of their comfort zone they make great stuff (Voodoo, The Other Side, Sully Erna's solo record) yet they insist on making the same boring goddamn song over and over.

Let's not forget about Godsmack's killing tracks 'I STAND ALONE' , 'GREED' , 'STRAIGHT OUT OF LINE' , 'AWAKE' ...

(04-08-2013, 02:16 PM)GiggleBlizzard Wrote:

I didn't mean Iron Maiden as a whole I just meant there have always been songs with repetive texts. But there is good music today, just a lot of the mainstream stuff isn't to my tastes.

Tell me a good decent song from this year that you see on the TV

(This post was last modified: 04-08-2013, 02:18 PM by Sarcophagus.)
04-08-2013, 02:17 PM
Website Find
GiggleBlizzard Offline

(04-08-2013, 02:17 PM)Sarcophagus Wrote:
(04-08-2013, 09:41 AM)Funderbunk Wrote: I still have a lingering enjoyment of super angsty nu-metal. Disturbed or Godsmack or even Linkin Park, and man those bands are all super terrible.

Hah, fair enough. I don't think they're good anymore (too much angsting over repetetive, overproduced drop-D power chords) but I look at them with nostalgia and occassionally it's cathartic to scream along with them badly.

But seriously every time Godsmack steps out of their comfort zone they make great stuff (Voodoo, The Other Side, Sully Erna's solo record) yet they insist on making the same boring goddamn song over and over.

Let's not forget about Godsmack's killing tracks 'I STAND ALONE' , 'GREED' , 'STRAIGHT OUT OF LINE' , 'AWAKE' ...

Hisingen Blues by Graveyard was pretty popular not too long ago, uhm but I can't really think of much, I rarely watch TV and I rarely listen to mainstream music.
04-08-2013, 02:24 PM
Find
Sarcophagus Offline

(04-08-2013, 02:24 PM)GiggleBlizzard Wrote:

(04-08-2013, 02:05 PM)GiggleBlizzard Wrote: I remember when I used to think all "computer-made" music (electronica) was bad. Then I grew up. Depeche Mode, Kraftwerk, SizzleBird, Daft Punk, etc. Most people who make any sort of electronic music usually know how to play an instrument - usually piano/keyboard or an organ.

Hisingen Blues by Graveyard was pretty popular not too long ago, uhm but I can't really think of much, I rarely watch TV and I rarely listen to mainstream music.

That song is from 2011 Tongue

When it comes to music the TV is not your friend anymore, well only VH1 sometimes maybe

04-08-2013, 02:27 PM
Website Find
rtjhbfvsrry Offline

Threads: 1

Hrm, I haven't even listened to a single album from this year as far as I remember... Too much old music to catch up on!

Oh wait, there's the last Eels record but that was disappointing. In fact Eels hasn't released anything really worth hearing since their B-sides collection in 2006.
04-08-2013, 02:28 PM
Find
GiggleBlizzard Offline

(04-08-2013, 02:27 PM)Sarcophagus Wrote:
(04-08-2013, 02:24 PM)GiggleBlizzard Wrote:
(04-08-2013, 09:50 AM)Sarcophagus Wrote: Godsmack is a damn great band.

(04-08-2013, 02:15 PM)Sarcophagus Wrote: You bring Iron Maiden into this? LOL

That song is from 2011 Tongue

When it comes to music the TV is not your friend anymore, well only VH1 sometimes maybe

I suppose, I only really listen to indie rock, some electronica and a little rock from modern times, I'm more of an old time blues guy.
04-08-2013, 02:29 PM
Find
Nice Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 37

stuff that most people wouldnt like but i do ? that's easy.. (it's mostly old school rap), Don't get turned down by the fact that it's rap. Old school rap like this includes ZERO amount of hoes, rich cars, bling or violence. here's the proof

Sorry but we cannot change your avatar as the new avatar you specified is too big. The maximum dimensions are 80x80 (width x height)
04-08-2013, 02:44 PM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

Yeah I'm sorry but I can't take people who think all electronic music is talentless seriously. Yes there's a lot of shitty cookie cutter dance electronica, but there's also just as much interesting, experimental, ambient etc electronica, and a lot of the time that stuff takes more talent to make than a lot of music that requires a whole band. And don't even try to use the whole "you just push buttons it takes no talent" argument. You could say playing guitar takes no talent cause you just strum strings or that drumming takes no talent cause you just hit things with sticks with that logic, which is just stupid.

Posting Freak
04-08-2013, 02:56 PM
Website Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(04-08-2013, 02:56 PM)Kman Wrote: Yeah I'm sorry but I can't take people who think all electronic music is talentless seriously. Yes there's a lot of shitty cookie cutter dance electronica, but there's also just as much interesting, experimental, ambient etc electronica, and a lot of the time that stuff takes more talent to make than a lot of music that requires a whole band. And don't even try to use the whole "you just push buttons it takes no talent" argument. You could say playing guitar takes no talent cause you just strum strings or that drumming takes no talent cause you just hit things with sticks with that logic, which is just stupid.

Case in point:

@Sarco: Yeah, I did misunderstand you slightly - Sorry.
(This post was last modified: 04-08-2013, 03:01 PM by Bridge.)
04-08-2013, 03:00 PM
Find