Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Level Editor Help Adding a second level
salsbury Offline

Threads: 3
RE: Adding a second level

Thanks alot, It's coming along nicely. My friend has a channel, Balrunedarkbrew, and he's been showing some of my first level, alpha test mind you. It doesn't have scripting, but it's good so far.
04-12-2013, 04:33 AM
Find
salsbury Offline

Hey guys,

I felt bad asking another question in a new thread, so hopefully you will get this. I want to know, is it possible to make completely original items using the model editor? Most tutorials seem to focus on turning static items into entities and vice versa. I want to construct some trees, but not pine trees. I'm building a forest for the second level and would like to make it unique. Is this possible? Based on some cursory playing, It looks like you can make whatever you want, but does it work in terms of importing it in game? Same goes for pretty much any object really.
04-12-2013, 02:18 PM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

(04-12-2013, 02:18 PM)salsbury Wrote: Hey guys,

I felt bad asking another question in a new thread, so hopefully you will get this. I want to know, is it possible to make completely original items using the model editor? Most tutorials seem to focus on turning static items into entities and vice versa. I want to construct some trees, but not pine trees. I'm building a forest for the second level and would like to make it unique. Is this possible? Based on some cursory playing, It looks like you can make whatever you want, but does it work in terms of importing it in game? Same goes for pretty much any object really.

You can make any model, but you do it with a modelling program, such as, Maya 2011, Blender, etc. And the modelling program MUST BE compatible with OpenCOLLADA to export the models to .dae.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
04-12-2013, 02:34 PM
Find
salsbury Offline

Ugh, I was afraid of that. I have Windows 8, which doesn't support Maya 2011. I'll be running Maya 2014, though I don't think it'll do any good for this.
04-12-2013, 02:53 PM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

(04-12-2013, 02:53 PM)salsbury Wrote: Ugh, I was afraid of that. I have Windows 8, which doesn't support Maya 2011. I'll be running Maya 2014, though I don't think it'll do any good for this.

I don't think Maya 2014 is compatible with OpenCOLLADA, but you could try out Blender.
EDIT:
1.500 POSTS
AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
(This post was last modified: 04-12-2013, 03:05 PM by PutraenusAlivius.)
04-12-2013, 03:04 PM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63

Off-topic
Spoiler below!
CONGRATS Big Grin Can't wait till I get that many[Image: challenge-accepted.jpg?w=800]
On-topic:
Blender is free and I would recommend it Smile It can be a bit difficult to start off with because of the many hot-keys, but if you can find some nifty tutorials, you can get somewhere. Check the wiki too, there is an article about using Blender to make models for Amnesia in it using UV mapping.

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
04-12-2013, 03:25 PM
Find
salsbury Offline

Thanks, I'll download it tonight when I'm off work. My first level turned out well, but there's alot I want to do with static objects that don't exist in game, such as various statue objects.

Are you able to physically alter static objects in the model editor? Or is the model editor solely for converting static to entity and back?
04-12-2013, 03:34 PM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63

You can attach things such as billboards to the actual models as seen here:
Spoiler below!

[Image: 2j5anhw.jpg]
If you want to add or edit a model, you would have to edit the model itself in something like Blender or Maya, then texture it yourself Smile

EDIT: You could also just retexture things that are already in the correct shape if that makes things easier. Take some things from Penumbra even and texture those. I retextured my boring left hand to a trench coat and glove like look (I have to go through the .dae and raise the hand as if it were a glove first though)
Spoiler below!
[Image: 300hbww.png]

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
(This post was last modified: 04-12-2013, 03:55 PM by Romulator.)
04-12-2013, 03:48 PM
Find