Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advanced Lighting
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63
RE: Advanced Lighting

When I die, I wanna go towards your light :O
That's a beautiful screenshot (imo) and very nice tutorial Smile This would definitely help me Big Grin

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
04-14-2013, 05:05 PM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79

I think I'm going to make a tutorial on how to make tutorials, I'm getting rather annoyed by big blocks of text. I think I will use your's Robosprog, you mean good with your tutorial. But I consider it to be useless because of the fact it's just a big wall of text, that newbies wouldn't understand to well.
Text alone isn't good enough, you need to include more pictures with clear indications to what you are talking about. (Sucks 4 images are limited to each post, got to link most of them to other sites.)

Take for example this... "http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Scavenger's_Chasm" A guide for a Jumping Puzzle for GW2, I was really pissed reading this. Why? Because I can't make out this gibberish because your in a cave where every rock is the same dark blue/green color, and their are a shit load of rocks. And it's also annoying because it's a very detailed place, rendering text to be completely useless.

Their were no pictures, no layout of the map, nothing to help me get my bearings. Just useless text, to which if you fail at any point in 110% comprehending it completely, you screw up the entire thing because you missed a step and now are confused and lost to where to go. (I had to watch a video after wards to figure out where the last of the items were. But even they are a bit of a pain because your watching 17 minutes of failing.)
04-14-2013, 05:38 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

(04-14-2013, 05:42 PM)Robosprog Wrote:
(04-14-2013, 05:38 PM)Rapture Wrote: I think I'm going to make a tutorial on how to make tutorials, I'm getting rather annoyed by big blocks of text. I think I will use your's Robosprog, you mean good with your tutorial. But I consider it to be useless because of the fact it's just a big wall of text, that newbies wouldn't understand to well.
Text alone isn't good enough, you need to include more pictures with clear indications to what you are talking about. (Sucks 4 images are limited to each post, got to link most of them to other sites.)

Take for example this... "http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Scavenger's_Chasm" A guide for a Jumping Puzzle for GW2, I was really pissed reading this. Why? Because I can't make out this gibberish because your in a cave where every rock is the same dark blue/green color, and their are a shit load of rocks. And it's also annoying because it's a very detailed place, rendering text to be completely useless.

Their were no pictures, no layout of the map, nothing to help me get my bearings. Just useless text, to which if you fail at any point in 110% comprehending it completely, you screw up the entire thing because you missed a step and now are confused and lost to where to go. (I had to watch a video after wards to figure out where the last of the items were. But even they are a bit of a pain because your watching 17 minutes of failing.)

There wasn't a need for more than one as I was deconstructing the light from the image, if you look at my other tutorial on outdoor environments you'd see there is a screenshot for each stage as it would be much more appropriate, yet there is no point if it is just one picture that I'm deconstructing, though I can understand your point and would not object to this being used as an example.
I think you could improve on the layout of the text.
fx you could number it so:

Introduction:
blablbablab
blbablabalbal

1. spotlights:
blablabblabal
balbaSHADOWSbnlablalbabalbalbalblabla
blabalbla

2. pointlight:
blablablableedingblabal
wallsblabalba

3.billboards:
blabalbalba
billyblablabla

finalword:
blablablamrfreeman
blablablabla

having breaks like these in the text makes it easier to read. the titles lets you know what you basically will be reading and the numbers are not necesary mostly, unless your text is long and readers need to know were they are. whats next and all that.
04-14-2013, 07:30 PM
Find
Hardarm Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 39

(04-14-2013, 07:30 PM)martinnord Wrote: BLA BLA BLA MR FREEMAN

listen to boards of canada
04-14-2013, 07:37 PM
Website Find
NaxEla Offline

Threads: 5

Nice tutorial Smile I think adding a picture of the room in the level editor would help out a lot.

In Ruins [WIP]
04-14-2013, 11:33 PM
Find