Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maya help
OriginalUsername Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 42
Maya help

Hey there,

I'm working on a sink in a counter, but I need to add a drainage in the sink. How do I create a round hole in there? Is there a easy way, or do I just need to add a load of edges?
04-19-2013, 06:58 PM
Find
ClayPigeon Offline

Threads: 13
RE: Maya help

Create a pipe, and set the thickness to very thin.
04-19-2013, 07:04 PM
Find
OriginalUsername Offline
Posting Freak

(04-19-2013, 07:04 PM)ClayPigeon Wrote: Create a pipe, and set the thickness to very thin.

I want to create a hole in the sink. Not create a ring
04-19-2013, 07:48 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

picture of what you have now maybe? also what software are you using
04-19-2013, 08:33 PM
Find
OriginalUsername Offline
Posting Freak

(04-19-2013, 08:33 PM)martinnord Wrote: picture of what you have now maybe? also what software are you using

Maya 2011, and I'll give you a picture tomorrow.
(This post was last modified: 04-19-2013, 08:39 PM by OriginalUsername.)
04-19-2013, 08:38 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

Fastest way to do it is using a mesh boolean. Depending on your mesh and the placement of the boolean-mesh, the result can be quite messy though and will need some cleanup. (Like eliminating n-gons by connecting vertices with edges for example. Mayas "triangulate mesh" function can help you a bit with that, but it's sometimes quite messy itself, so....)
First thing you do is, you create a cylinder in the size of your drain. Place it so that it intersects with your sink at the right place. Make sure it goes all the way through! Then, select your sink first, then SHIFT-select the cylinder and go to Mesh>Booleans>Difference. The result should look kinda like this:
Spoiler below!

[Image: iey9tipv.jpg]
As you can see, the boolean created quite a lot of ngons which will require fixing, but both sphere and drain stayed perfectly in shape, which would have been difficult to achieve by hand. On the other hand, the resulting geometry is not very useful for high-poly modeling, because you can't smooth a topology like that very well, due to a lack of proper edgeloops...there are pros and cons to almost every technique! Big Grin
(This post was last modified: 04-20-2013, 12:10 AM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
04-19-2013, 11:58 PM
Find
OriginalUsername Offline
Posting Freak

(04-19-2013, 11:58 PM)Hirnwirbel Wrote: Fastest way to do it is using a mesh boolean. Depending on your mesh and the placement of the boolean-mesh, the result can be quite messy though and will need some cleanup. (Like eliminating n-gons by connecting vertices with edges for example. Mayas "triangulate mesh" function can help you a bit with that, but it's sometimes quite messy itself, so....)
First thing you do is, you create a cylinder in the size of your drain. Place it so that it intersects with your sink at the right place. Make sure it goes all the way through! Then, select your sink first, then SHIFT-select the cylinder and go to Mesh>Booleans>Difference. The result should look kinda like this:
Spoiler below!

[Image: iey9tipv.jpg]
As you can see, the boolean created quite a lot of ngons which will require fixing, but both sphere and drain stayed perfectly in shape, which would have been difficult to achieve by hand. On the other hand, the resulting geometry is not very useful for high-poly modeling, because you can't smooth a topology like that very well, due to a lack of proper edgeloops...there are pros and cons to almost every technique! Big Grin

Thanks! That worked. Quick question though: I made my sink by creating a cube and then deleting the top face. Then scaling the cube and rounding the edges made it look better. But when I turn on backface culling, it makes the sink invisible. Is there a way to turn this around?
(This post was last modified: 04-20-2013, 08:04 AM by OriginalUsername.)
04-20-2013, 08:03 AM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

its because that faces are one sided so if you look at it from the wrong side it becomes invisble. the way around this is to duplicate the faces with their backside visible and flip their normals.
04-20-2013, 08:55 AM
Find
OriginalUsername Offline
Posting Freak

(04-20-2013, 08:55 AM)martinnord Wrote: its because that faces are one sided so if you look at it from the wrong side it becomes invisble. the way around this is to duplicate the faces with their backside visible and flip their normals.

Ah thank you, got it!
04-20-2013, 09:43 AM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

Only duplicate the faces if you really want to see them from both sides, though. Like, for example, if you're making a curtain or a leaf-plane for a tree. Otherwise just flip the normals of the faces you already have so they're visible from the correct side or you'll needlessly double your polycount and create a messy mesh Wink
(This post was last modified: 04-20-2013, 02:55 PM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
04-20-2013, 02:54 PM
Find