Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

What happens after death?
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145
RE: What happens after death?

(04-21-2013, 09:38 PM)Bridge Wrote: It is illogical to believe in it.

Sorry to interrupt this conversation. This line just caught me.

It might be illogical since we have no proof it exists.

But why do we have religion then, since it's also illogical that a god exists.
(Stop me if i'm going to far. Not trying to piss anyone off)

I think the human needs something to believe in, to comprehend the feeling of fear.

That's why we came up with religion. Because when we are afraid, we want to feel safe, and what's easy, when something is troubling you? To make somebody else do it for you. Therefore gods were created, to deal with what we are afraid of, or cannot handle, like the weather, plants, animals. (Long time ago people didn't know much about plants, animals and weather).

So to comprehend the thought that we are going to die one day, which is too much for the human, the afterlife is created, as a solution to it. Now we don't have to be afraid anymore.

That's why it's also logical. Smile

Off-topic: I like this subject Smile

Trying is the first step to success.
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2013, 09:58 PM by FlawlessHappiness.)
04-21-2013, 09:53 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(04-21-2013, 09:45 PM)Tiger Wrote: I fully agree with what beekayk said.

Because he holds onto an infantile sense of respect and diplomacy instead of being honest? No offense, BeeKayK.

(04-21-2013, 09:53 PM)BeeKayK Wrote:

The mere fact that it exists and people believe in it does not make it logical. It is a relic of the past, which grants it a status-quo kind of validity.
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2013, 09:58 PM by Bridge.)
04-21-2013, 09:55 PM
Find
Posting Freak

(04-21-2013, 09:55 PM)Bridge Wrote:
(04-21-2013, 09:45 PM)Tiger Wrote: I fully agree with what beekayk said.

Because he holds onto an infantile sense of respect and diplomacy instead of being honest? No offense, BeeKayK.

Yea, haha! You're right, but I don't know what to believe otherwise.

(04-21-2013, 09:55 PM)Bridge Wrote:
(04-21-2013, 09:53 PM)BeeKayK Wrote:

The mere fact that it exists and people believe in it does not make it logical. It is a relic of the past, which grants it a status-quo kind of validity.

No no, of course afterlife and religion are not logical! But the fact that it has been created is. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I was talking about when the religion was created, not the religion today Smile The religion today is kind of different. It has gained the status from an ancient past, as you say Smile Agreed

04-21-2013, 10:03 PM
Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

(04-21-2013, 09:38 PM)Bridge Wrote: If you want me to not be belligerent, I can't do that. I expect people to back up their statements with evidence and if they cannot do that I get apprehensive.

The point is: there is no evidence that suggest an afterlife exists, and there is strong circumstantial evidence to suggest that the idea was created because people are afraid to die. It is illogical to believe in it.

It seems you've been unfortunate enough to encounter the 'Burden of Proof' annoyance. I agree with what you're saying, Bridge.
Let me offer my voice and see what I can say.

A man walks up to you and says, "There's an invisible pink pony behind you!"
You respond, "Well since I can't see it and there would be no point in turning around, can you prove what you say is true?"
"No."
"Then how am I to believe what you're saying?"
"Because you can't disprove it!" he states happily.
You take only a moment to respond. "If I were to turn around and extend my hand, would I feel this pony?"
"Nope. You can't touch it."

You shake your head and begin to walk away, but before you can get three feet, a sparkling laser-beam appears out of thin air. You are destroyed. That's what you get for questioning Pink Sparkle Pony.
04-21-2013, 10:04 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

(04-21-2013, 10:04 PM)failedALIAS Wrote:
(04-21-2013, 09:38 PM)Bridge Wrote: If you want me to not be belligerent, I can't do that. I expect people to back up their statements with evidence and if they cannot do that I get apprehensive.

The point is: there is no evidence that suggest an afterlife exists, and there is strong circumstantial evidence to suggest that the idea was created because people are afraid to die. It is illogical to believe in it.

It seems you've been unfortunate enough to encounter the 'Burden of Proof' annoyance. I agree with what you're saying, Bridge.
Let me offer my voice and see what I can say.

A man walks up to you and says, "There's an invisible pink pony behind you!"
You respond, "Well since I can't see it and there would be no point in turning around, can you prove what you say is true?"
"No."
"Then how am I to believe what you're saying?"
"Because you can't disprove it!" he states happily.
You take only a moment to respond. "If I were to turn around and extend my hand, would I feel this pony?"
"Nope. You can't touch it."

You shake your head and begin to walk away, but before you can get three feet, a sparkling laser-beam appears out of thin air. You are destroyed. That's what you get for questioning Pink Sparkle Pony.

I can never tell when you're joking so I'll just say this: It's not an annoyance. It is the cornerstone of scientific development and ensures the effectiveness of the legal system found in most countries. It is a great concept, and without it we would be doomed to ignorance.
04-21-2013, 10:10 PM
Find
Posting Freak

Science is good, but you can't let everything depend on fact and proof, can you?

(This post was last modified: 04-21-2013, 10:16 PM by FlawlessHappiness.)
04-21-2013, 10:16 PM
Find
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

(04-21-2013, 10:16 PM)BeeKayK Wrote: Science is good, but you can't let everything depend on fact and proof, can you?

lol. please elaborate.

I rate it 3 memes.
04-21-2013, 10:23 PM
Find
Posting Freak

I'm gonna follow up on FailedALIAS' example, even though I know it looks silly, but I understand what he means..
It's just... You've got to believe in something that isn't always logical... Smile

...or maybe you don't... I can't put my mind into that, since I'm not like that Smile

(This post was last modified: 04-21-2013, 10:34 PM by FlawlessHappiness.)
04-21-2013, 10:25 PM
Find
Nice Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 37

(04-21-2013, 09:55 PM)Bridge Wrote: instead of being honest?

Are you trying to turn this into a flame war on purpose ? Your choice of words make it seem so.

I'm not even going to argue because it will go nowhere, it's quite obvious that you're the "If its not my way, it's not the right way" kind of guy. No offense

Sorry but we cannot change your avatar as the new avatar you specified is too big. The maximum dimensions are 80x80 (width x height)
04-21-2013, 10:25 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Actually, I'm more of the "if it's not the right way, it isn't my way" kind of guy. I listen to reason and accept defeat whenever faced with it, because I value the truth more than personal convictions.

EDIT: The whole honesty thing was about how I presented my opinions anyway. I don't pretend to respect other people's religious views because I don't, and I have serious doubts anybody truly does. I do respect people and their right to hold whatever views they want, though. I don't hold religious views against people if that's what you were wondering.
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2013, 10:40 PM by Bridge.)
04-21-2013, 10:37 PM
Find